Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times

Advertisements

Quick question for those of you familiar with the Durango area: what is the road like south to Farmington? My boss will be driving it for the first time early November in a rental and I want to make sure he won't have anything to be concerned about. (He's from Michigan.) As far as I can tell the road is actually very flat once you get south of Durango.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:54 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Quick question for those of you familiar with the Durango area: what is the road like south to Farmington? My boss will be driving it for the first time early November in a rental and I want to make sure he won't have anything to be concerned about. (He's from Michigan.) As far as I can tell the road is actually very flat once you get south of Durango.
Not exactly. The first hill south of the US160/550 intersection (commonly referred to by those of us who have known Durango for decades as Carbon Junction--named after the railroad junction that used to be near there) has a pretty stiff grade and can be nasty in winter weather (which is possible in November). South of there US550 stays on top of a mesa until near the Colorado/New Mexico border, then slowly drops into the Animas River valley once again. A lot of people assume that the road does not get severe winter driving conditions, but it can and does--especially from about the Colorado/New Mexico border north.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:51 PM

Thankfully the weather forecast doesn't look too bad but I will give him the heads-up

Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
The weather forecast can change rapidly, especially this time of year, so he should check often.

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

NMRoads

And just in case, a little known law...he's going to be traveling into Indian Nation lands, any firearm needs to be locked in the trunk and unloaded.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
The weather forecast can change rapidly, especially this time of year, so he should check often.

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

NMRoads

And just in case, a little known law...he's going to be traveling into Indian Nation lands, any firearm needs to be locked in the trunk and unloaded.
Really not going to be an issue but thank you

Old 10-21-2011, 02:56 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Not exactly. The first hill south of the US160/550 intersection (commonly referred to by those of us who have known Durango for decades as Carbon Junction--named after the railroad junction that used to be near there) has a pretty stiff grade and can be nasty in winter weather (which is possible in November). South of there US550 stays on top of a mesa until near the Colorado/New Mexico border, then slowly drops into the Animas River valley once again. A lot of people assume that the road does not get severe winter driving conditions, but it can and does--especially from about the Colorado/New Mexico border north.
Absolutely!

One other thing to keep in mind is there is more traffic on that road than you would think. You have quite a bit of commuting going on here between the two towns. And also quite a bit of truck traffic, a good portion of it are Halliburton trucks. From the stoplight that separates hwy. 160 from hwy. 550 it is about a 30 minute drive. A little ways south of the state line the road is a 4 laner.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:09 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
It's a four lane highway, in good condition and yes pretty flat in New Mexico. CDOT (Colorado) does a good job of clearing roads a day after snowstorms, but New Mexico fares not as good on that.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:56 PM

14 posts, read 29,397 times
550 from Durango to Farmington is a piece of cake.

The real question is how you got TO Durango, it's mountain passes in EVERY OTHER DIRECTION. Big mountains! Serious winter driving!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:02 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Well, it certainly will be tonight. This storm is heading southwest to northeast and Wolf Creek pass surely is going to get hammered. Forecast in the high country is for snow to be at two to three feet.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-25-2011 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado