Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 03:53 PM

11 posts, read 12,473 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I visit this forum daily but just posted today for the first time. I have found it to be a very informative and helpful site for those looking to move. I like many others am looking to move to colorado but would definitely get a job first. I was wondering if there were any louisiana transpants lurking around? I would love to know what you think of living there.
A little background- I'm a RN with 13 years experience curently working in a management position and my significant other is a respiratory therapist manager with over 20 years experience. We both have decent paying jobs with good job security which is part of our hesitation in leaving the state. However there is nothing here for us her really- we do not have children and do not want them, have little family here and could care less about LSU sports. We do not enjoy the activities that most people here do and felt much more at home when visiting colorado. We are definitely outdoors people and love the mountains. We are also animal people and are active in rescue which again is not a big priority in Louisiana.

I am cetain we will move- its just a matter of when not if. I hear so much about the economy being bad in colorado but am hoping we will be okay with out experience. I do want to rent first of course which is a huge concern because we currently have 10 cats and 1 dog (please dont judge- we take very good care of them). Do you think there is any possibility that we could find a rental house that would take that many animals? One of us would have to move out there with the animals and the other stay and sell the house, I'm guessing.
Anyway, I guess I'm rambling now but any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated and again, would love to hear from any louisiana folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 04:28 PM

345 posts, read 913,637 times
I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone to rent to you with that many animals. I am an animal lover and have a few myself, not 11 tho
When I just had one dog and one cat it was pretty hard to find a rental, size and breed restrictions, number of pets allowed and etc.
Even a private person probably would worry about wear and tear, hair and possible accidents, with so many cats I would worry if even one came down with a urinary infection the carpet would be ruined.
Even being a pet person myself I would hesitate to rent to someone with so many.

I am not sure how the housing market is there but here they are not moving very quickly. I have a few friends whose houses have been on the market for 1-2 years. So that would be something to consider if you two will be in two different states. Can you rent out your place till the market turns around?

Old 10-22-2011, 04:39 PM

11 posts, read 12,473 times
that's what we're afraid of too- i wouldnt rent my house either lol. Its just scary to buy right off the bat in case we regret it later....
Houses in my neighborhood go fairly quickly and i would price it to go. Honestly, the animals hold me back more than the worry about finding a new job - the thought of driving 11 animals from louisiana to colorado is enough to give me nightmares

Old 10-22-2011, 05:09 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times
I drove cross country with 1 cat, 2 dogs and a husband with the flu, it's a memory I'm still trying to forget.

I do think it would be hard to find a rental with that many animals. It's possible if you do a great job of marketing yourselves as very clean and responsible people, maybe with a video to show a day in your life with the animals, references from the realtor selling your home that it's well kept, but I still think it may be a long shot. The easiest thing may be to have one of you move out here without the animals and find a job, take a short term rental and look for a place to buy while the other waits for the house to sell. It's not ideal but it's a means to an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado