Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:44 AM

151 posts, read 714,555 times

Advertisements

maybe Wray, CO? Out on the eastern plains, famous for wildlife tours, mostly prairie chicken courtship dances (no kidding!), population including surrounding area less than 3000. See //www.city-data.com/city/Wray-Colorado.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 07:33 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,389 times
Rye is just west of Colorado City, south of Pueblo. Try Google search.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:23 PM

7 posts, read 41,558 times
Mhm, I have, but google only goes so far. It's another thing to meet somebody who actually lives there, right?

Old 08-26-2007, 01:29 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
I don't know a lot about Rye, but I do know that there are 2 school buildings in town, one elementary and one high school. Maybe the middle school is in one of these buildings? Anyway, yes kids are bused and I'm sure that some travel pretty far.

Bishop's Castle is not in Rye, it is down the road about half way to San Isabel. You could look on a map for the highway number.

Rye is a very, very small town. I would imagine that people there do a lot of outdoor activities, both in summer and winter. There is a very nice park in town, with picnic tables and hiking trails.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,830 times
Default Rye

Rye is a very nice tiny town everyone that lives there knows eachother. There is a beautiful,peaceful park in Rye with jungle gyms and swings, baseball diamond, lots of picnic areas and a beautiful creak. There is not much else in Rye no convenience stores or gas stations, 2miles down the mountain you have Colorado city which has a few conveniences. Most people however travel 20 miles to Pueblo for groceries, shopping malls, restaurants, movie theatres, etc.If moving to Rye you will do 95% of all shopping in Pueblo.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:29 AM

12 posts, read 61,882 times
Smile Rye

Hello,Rye colorado is a very nice town,there is a TR country store in rye and 2 or 3 churches also a pre-school and jr high and high school,lake isabel is close as is lake beckwith,there is a new grocery store in colorado city,golf course,banks,insurance agent,hardware store,a couple of resturants,motel,KOA campground,ECT we live in pueblo west but we have a cabin in Rye there has been alot of rain this past couple of years as also a couple of feet of snow 2'-3' possibly more we will probably move to Rye when the kids get a little older,the lifestyle that Rye and colorado city offers is what rural Colorado living is all about for us,after living in Denver then Colorado springs now in pueblo west we are ready to move to a more rural area .Just my opinion

Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I don't know a lot about Rye, but I do know that there are 2 school buildings in town, one elementary and one high school. Maybe the middle school is in one of these buildings? Anyway, yes kids are bused and I'm sure that some travel pretty far.

Bishop's Castle is not in Rye, it is down the road about half way to San Isabel. You could look on a map for the highway number. Bishop's Castle is nothing short of history in the making. The person involved is an interesting story all by himself. The final chapter has yet to be written, I can assure you.

Rye is a very, very small town. I would imagine that people there do a lot of outdoor activities, both in summer and winter. There is a very nice park in town, with picnic tables and hiking trails.
Yes! There is a town called Rye. And I'm not talking about Rye, New York.

Yes! Rye has the High School and the Rye elementary school. Craver Middle School is down in Colorado City on Crow Cutoff, I'd say about 8 miles from the high school and grade school.

Yes, Bishop's Castle is not in Rye, but I'd say it's on the other side of San Isabel down highway 165 a couple of miles.

Yes, Rye gets pounded with snow.

Yes, this IS Colorado, but Rye is REALLY Colorado!Rye does get a little bit of snow during the winter;, even when the rest of the state doesn't get much. But, as everybody from the region will attest, we were especially blessed this last season;. May I recommend a mode of transporatation for you?

The School district 70 does have a bus route for Rye. Unlike Pueblo West, I doubt the kids here have to walk 5 miles uphill both ways to make it to the bus stop or the school! Kids get bussed to Rye's high school and grade school and to Colorado City's Craver middle school from I guess as far as Exit 83 on I-25 near Cedarwood (where the kid from Black Beauty was from, or that girl who robbed all those banks with that guy Pritchert, oh yeah, Delores Guthrie, The Pueblo Chieftain Online - Pueblo, Colorado U.S.A (http://www.chieftain.com/metro/1065420000/9/sea - broken link), and as far as the town of Beulah.

I went to Rye, so I'm kind of partial. But I say it's the best school system in all of Pueblo County. Rye thumps the 4A teams in Pueblo on a pretty regular basis, that is if they have the guts to play Rye (in basketball, anyway). I'd concede that the football team (playing in the 1A or 2A 11-man ranks) couldn't quite compete with it's 4A counterparts. To back my claims, I've witnessed 1 football state championship and about 3 basketball championships since about 1982. Although Rye didn't bring home the Gold Ball in basketball in this Millenium yet, they have been in the final four about three of the last five years and went to state last year although being sent up to 3A with a whopping attendance of about 276 kids ( the low end of 3A as most of their opponents were on the 500 kid range ).

To the person in Pueblo West, it's too bad that you can't bring the kids out here to Rye and finish their schooling off here. The best of the best from Pueblo West came from Rye themselves; for example- Jerry Kersey, the Ribaudos, Coach Lane, McAuliffe, etc. If academics are their primary concern, then perhaps a 4A and rapidly growing school such as Pueblo West may have more to offer than Rye, but for a public school, it's hard to beat the one-on-one attention that they'd get at Rye.

Rye definitely is away from civilization, but they aren't far from the basic ammenities and I'd suppose they'd like to stay that way. I hear that Rye has a very strong Morman influence, but as a kid growing up, I failed to notice that. My family was very un-Morman-like and they probably stayed their distance from the likes of me. Rye is a dry town, meaning, if you'd like to go have a beer, you'll have to go down to the liquor store or one of the fine Restaurant and lounge establishments in the Great Metropolis that is Colorado City. Rye has a post office. Rye has a little country store that I believe is still open. You could get a package of beef jerkey, a pint of ice cream, and maybe rent a DVD there. There are a number of privately owned and other various small industries that operate from Rye; such as Kirkland Construction, Pagnatto Excavation (sp??), Rye Telephone Company, etc.

If you need to find a dry cleaners or laundromat, go bowling, find a car wash, go dancing, buy groceries (the new Grocery Store in Colorado City is awesome; the best thing in the area since Pete's closed down-there again, thank you Colorado City for helping Rye become a more self-sufficient community!), buy alcoholic libations, buy a stitch of clothing, etc, you may have to venture off into Colorado City or beyond the Southern Front Range into that Vast Metropolis that is known as the Steel City of the West. Unless you're a total Hillbilly or a fur trapper, or a Mule-Skinner, or a Bald-Knobber, or have an automobile, Rye by itself would seem pretty unliveable.

Rye has a couple of parks as does Colorado City. Rye also has a couple of trailheads that are the gem of Southeast Colorado in my opinion. Colorado City has a place to swim (in the summer time), a place to fish, golf, go get a cup of coffee, several restaurants (The Greens-the cook here was one of the best cooks at a very high-end establishment in Denver, He brings his culinary expertise but leaves the unaffordability far North to the Front Range), Los Quervos, Max's (voted Colorado City's Best Green Chile, by Me!), Ole Zans, and a couple of Franchise Scarf-n-Barf places. It has a hotel here that I don't care to advertise as I have had really bad luck with the franchise at large.

That's all that comes to me now. This place is the only place that I am aware of in the greater 48 where you can stare at an empty field and wonder, "How long before this place gets ruined by development." If the resources were right, it would have happened long ago.

PS. Hardware Store! The True Value/Ace Hardware Store is also Awesome! You can take your Home Depot, your WalMart, and all your other franchises, and do you-know-what with them. Places like these may just be what saves you that 60-mile round trip at $2.75 per gallon and gives a person or two a job in this little retirement/raise-your-children-in-an-affordable-and-safe-environment one-horse-town.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-27-2007 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-27-2007, 01:04 PM

12 posts, read 61,882 times
Smile Rye pictures

Excellent pictures Mcgowdog,what a great way to show everyone how much snow Rye gets,we want our kids to go to school in Rye as they are only 3 and 4 right now,we spend as much time at the cabin as we can and just love it.the bears have been out and the rest of the wildlife is amazing.the cabin we own was one of the older ones built in the 1930's and has been modernized,our grandmother and aunts and uncles all have property in Rye and as soon as the flooded housing market eases we will probably put our house on the market in pueblo west and move.there are alot of nice existing homes in Rye so there is no need in building one,we cannot wait.thanks for the pictures

Old 08-27-2007, 01:24 PM

You're very welcome! Those pics don't even begin to do the place justice.

You better put your house on the market ASAP and dream of selling it because there's more Spec homes being built in Pueblo West daily without anybody to move into them than there are lots available in the Greenhorn Valley! Why should someone buy your used home in PW when they can buy a brand new and bigger one down the block for cheaper? Seller beware! I've got neighbors with beautiful over-sized homes out here in PW (oh, I live in PW too! If we had 3 and 4 year old kids, we'd move to the GH Valley in a New York City Second!) on my very block that have been trying to sell their homes for 4 YEARS NOW! I'm sorry, but good luck with that. I could start another thread on this very topic alone.

Some may say that the GH Valley has modernized and is no picnic, but let's get real! The GHValley is decades, even Century's away from the urbanization and Californication that you'll see along the rest of the Front Range. I hate to say it, but watch out Pueblo West over the next 5 years. It's happening right before our very eyes! Don't believe me, dig out a newspaper and check it out. Check out the Crime beat in the Rocky Mountain News, the Gazette, The Pueblo Chieftain, the Pueblo West View, then the Greenhorn Valley View. I'm not trying to be self-righteous here either. Heck, when I moved out of the Valley in 84' (not the San Fernando Valley, but the Greenhorn Valley) to go off to college, the crime in this town was probably cut in half! You know how bored 18-year-olds get?

Old 08-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Yes! There is a town called Rye. And I'm not talking about Rye, New York.

Yes! Rye has the High School and the Rye elementary school. Craver Middle School is down in Colorado City on Crow Cutoff, I'd say about 8 miles from the high school and grade school.

Yes, Bishop's Castle is not in Rye, but I'd say it's on the other side of San Isabel down highway 165 a couple of miles.

Yes, Rye gets pounded with snow.

Yes, this IS Colorado, but Rye is REALLY Colorado!Rye does get a little bit of snow during the winter;, even when the rest of the state doesn't get much. But, as everybody from the region will attest, we were especially blessed this last season;. May I recommend a mode of transporatation for you?

The School district 70 does have a bus route for Rye. Unlike Pueblo West, I doubt the kids here have to walk 5 miles uphill both ways to make it to the bus stop or the school! Kids get bussed to Rye's high school and grade school and to Colorado City's Craver middle school from I guess as far as Exit 83 on I-25 near Cedarwood (where the kid from Black Beauty was from, or that girl who robbed all those banks with that guy Pritchert, oh yeah, Delores Guthrie, The Pueblo Chieftain Online - Pueblo, Colorado U.S.A (http://www.chieftain.com/metro/1065420000/9/sea - broken link), and as far as the town of Beulah.

I went to Rye, so I'm kind of partial. But I say it's the best school system in all of Pueblo County. Rye thumps the 4A teams in Pueblo on a pretty regular basis, that is if they have the guts to play Rye (in basketball, anyway). I'd concede that the football team (playing in the 1A or 2A 11-man ranks) couldn't quite compete with it's 4A counterparts. To back my claims, I've witnessed 1 football state championship and about 3 basketball championships since about 1982. Although Rye didn't bring home the Gold Ball in basketball in this Millenium yet, they have been in the final four about three of the last five years and went to state last year although being sent up to 3A with a whopping attendance of about 276 kids ( the low end of 3A as most of their opponents were on the 500 kid range ).

To the person in Pueblo West, it's too bad that you can't bring the kids out here to Rye and finish their schooling off here. The best of the best from Pueblo West came from Rye themselves; for example- Jerry Kersey, the Ribaudos, Coach Lane, McAuliffe, etc. If academics are their primary concern, then perhaps a 4A and rapidly growing school such as Pueblo West may have more to offer than Rye, but for a public school, it's hard to beat the one-on-one attention that they'd get at Rye.

Rye definitely is away from civilization, but they aren't far from the basic ammenities and I'd suppose they'd like to stay that way. I hear that Rye has a very strong Morman influence, but as a kid growing up, I failed to notice that. My family was very un-Morman-like and they probably stayed their distance from the likes of me. Rye is a dry town, meaning, if you'd like to go have a beer, you'll have to go down to the liquor store or one of the fine Restaurant and lounge establishments in the Great Metropolis that is Colorado City. Rye has a post office. Rye has a little country store that I believe is still open. You could get a package of beef jerkey, a pint of ice cream, and maybe rent a DVD there. There are a number of privately owned and other various small industries that operate from Rye; such as Kirkland Construction, Pagnatto Excavation (sp??), Rye Telephone Company, etc.

If you need to find a dry cleaners or laundromat, go bowling, find a car wash, go dancing, buy groceries (the new Grocery Store in Colorado City is awesome; the best thing in the area since Pete's closed down-there again, thank you Colorado City for helping Rye become a more self-sufficient community!), buy alcoholic libations, buy a stitch of clothing, etc, you may have to venture off into Colorado City or beyond the Southern Front Range into that Vast Metropolis that is known as the Steel City of the West. Unless you're a total Hillbilly or a fur trapper, or a Mule-Skinner, or a Bald-Knobber, or have an automobile, Rye by itself would seem pretty unliveable.

Rye has a couple of parks as does Colorado City. Rye also has a couple of trailheads that are the gem of Southeast Colorado in my opinion. Colorado City has a place to swim (in the summer time), a place to fish, golf, go get a cup of coffee, several restaurants (The Greens-the cook here was one of the best cooks at a very high-end establishment in Denver, He brings his culinary expertise but leaves the unaffordability far North to the Front Range), Los Quervos, Max's (voted Colorado City's Best Green Chile, by Me!), Ole Zans, and a couple of Franchise Scarf-n-Barf places. It has a hotel here that I don't care to advertise as I have had really bad luck with the franchise at large.

That's all that comes to me now. This place is the only place that I am aware of in the greater 48 where you can stare at an empty field and wonder, "How long before this place gets ruined by development." If the resources were right, it would have happened long ago.

PS. Hardware Store! The True Value/Ace Hardware Store is also Awesome! You can take your Home Depot, your WalMart, and all your other franchises, and do you-know-what with them. Places like these may just be what saves you that 60-mile round trip at $2.75 per gallon and gives a person or two a job in this little retirement/raise-your-children-in-an-affordable-and-safe-environment one-horse-town.
PSS: Viktorios Pizzeria for pizza, sandwiches, salads, ice cream and catering! These folks make a mean pizza this side of the Bronx! They are currently building an adjacent sports bar establishment. The guy who is building it was doing tile work in my parents home when our "family business" was operating out of their home. My mom told him that she needing to go back and forth from the living room area into her "office", previously my aunt's bedroom, so he built her a temporary "bridge" in the hallway! If we were to move to the Valley, we'd have this guy build our home. Either that or we'd move into one of his previously built homes. He does awesome work. PM me if you want to contact him.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-28-2007 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado