Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,802 times

Advertisements

Actually, its only the starting salaries that vary most..otherwise, when you get further down the payscale, there is little difference.
The best paying school district in the pikes peak area for both teachers/paras, and subs is Fountain Fort Carson D8 because of the extra monies they recieve from the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
Default CO Teachers Salaries

I found the article I referenced in my earlier post in this thread. School District 51 (Mesa County) actually ranks 14th in the state instead of 4th as my mistaken memory led me to believe.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/content/news/stories/2007/05/21/5_21_1a_teacher_salary.html (broken link)

I apolige for the erroneous information.

Many Blessings....Franco

Old 06-02-2007, 10:57 PM

5 posts, read 29,606 times
Default Check with the CDE!!!

I believe "Hawaii" has a good point about Cherry Creek and Cheyenne Mountain School Districts. One thing that's "hot topic" right now in teacher salaries is benefits package. The school district I work for covered employee health insurance 100% last year and I think 75% of family, which is HUGE. This year they are charging employees $30 or $8/month, depending on the package you choose, which is still a steal when you consider your premium is $370/month. Here is a link you may find useful--it's from the Colorado Department of Education and lists average salaries:

FALL 1999 Average Salaries by Setting

(Sorry it won't seem to hyperlink.) Hope that helps.

Also, a good point was made about how many years of experience that districts will accept. Depending on your situation, that may be relevant. I'd suggest calling the HR departments--any district will send you out a salary scale, as they are public information. You may also ask about benefits, because it's very hard to compare the apples to oranges. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 37,423 times
Default Regarding teacher salaries in Co.

Thank you all so much for your input on this. I'll be looking at a loss of at least 30k annually as the sole provider for a family of 4. Scarry, but probably worth the payoff in other ways, (smog, crime, traffic, rude people, etc.) More comments are welcome. Thanks again.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal2112 View Post
Thank you all so much for your input on this. I'll be looking at a loss of at least 30k annually as the sole provider for a family of 4. Scarry, but probably worth the payoff in other ways, (smog, crime, traffic, rude people, etc.) More comments are welcome. Thanks again.
I can completely relate, although I am not the sole provider. However, we do have 3 kids and I would be taking about a 25K cut as well. Very scary--but yes, I believe the other factors you mentioned are important. They are the very reasons we are also looking to move, along with being near family. Good luck to you.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 37,423 times
Same to you.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:50 AM

11 posts, read 41,334 times
So the teaching job market is good in Colorado? I'm looking to work in a private school...I have a prek-3 license in ohio but I have taught up to 8th grade in language arts.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 7,529 times
Default Teacher Next Door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
are you handy? There is the teacher next door program available to buy a HUD owned property for half the asking price.

definitely not a part of the bible belt of the southeast states, we are decidedly mountain west.
Can anyone give me some more information about this teacher next door program?

Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Danimal2112

I saw an article a few days ago in the GJSentinel that Mesa County (District #51) was the 4th highest paying district in Colorado. I don't remember the top three. My wife had 15 yrs experience in Virginia, but the district allows only 10 yrs on the step scale. I think she took a $10,000 pay cut. Ouch! But she says that the smalll town kids are not as wild and crazy as the city kids from Virginia Beach and they are more disciplined due to greater parental involvement. Also the school district is growing and they will need to hire more teachers. Quite a few teachers were lost through retirement. Here's a link to the payscale for 2006:

http://www.mesa.k12.co.us/2003/Human_Resources/documents/TEACHER05-06.pdf (broken link)

I hope this helps you out.....Franco
Wow, I'm really surprised GJ was the 4th highest paying district. I worked there as a teacher and the salary was fairly low. CosmicWizard, your wife must work in one of the better schools in the valley too. My experience was quite different. Of course, I was near the Clifton end of the valley, and most parents both worked, were incarcerated, or had checked out of their children's lives. It showed.

I believe Cherry Creek and Douglas Co. are the top two highest paying districts in CO. I would imagine Boulder fits in there as well. I have my doubts about Mesa Co. unless they got a signficantly higher pay raise in the last year.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
You can find the salary scale for the Boulder Valley School District on their website, Boulder Valley School District I find this webste not very user-friendly, you'll have to dig around. I frankly doubt they are as high-paying as DPS and some of the other districts, because, frankly, people are willing to take a pay cut to work in Boulder. Sad, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado