Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:14 PM

25 posts, read 111,821 times

Advertisements

I recently became interested in moving to Colorado. I am an elementary school teacher with special ed certification too. How is the job market for teachers in Colorado (specifically Denver, Ft. Collins, Colorado Springs)? I would like to be in a suburb of a city, as I am coming from Long Island and I don't want to be in too rural an area. Also, does anyone have any experience in getting Colorado certification if you're already certified in another state? Thank you all so much for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 08:53 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,042 times
Hi,

My husband and I are both in the education field (he's a teacher, I'm a school counselor) and we lived in Colorado Springs for 5 years.

If I recall correctly, Colorado has 3 levels of licensing. There's a 1-year "emergency" license that a school district can ask the state to grant you in order fill a high-need area (i.e., speical ed.) That gives you some time to get your affairs in order if you're missing anything required to get a "real" licesne.

The next license is a 3-year "provisional". Most beginning and out-of-state teachers start out with these. In order to get a 5-year "professional" license, you have to do a one-year mentorship with an experienced teacher and log so many professional development hours.

Since I went to grad school in Colorado, I went through the process that a "beginning" educator goes through and had to pass the PLACE exam in my field. My husband had taught one year in MN before we moved though, and I don't think he had to take the PLACE exam... he just came with his MN license and they gave him the provisional CO license. The rules might have changed since then though, so it would be a good idea to go to the Colorado Department of Ed website to find out for sure.

As far as job prospects, I would say you're in good shape, especially with your SpEd certification. As in many parts of the country, districts are practially begging for special ed teachers. If you're willing to work in districts with more "high risk" kids, you might even get a signing bouns.

Of course (as with most metro areas) the higher turnover tends to occur in the inner city schools and it's harder to find a job in the wealthier, more desireable suburban districts. The good news is in a growing area like the front range (Ft. Collins all the way down to Pueblo), the schools are also growing and creating new teaching positions.

Good luck!

Old 10-22-2006, 08:24 PM

101 posts, read 607,916 times
Default Teaching and Home Ownership in the Ft. Range?

Oh I how I loathe Orange County. Granted the weather is perfect and there is a great variety of food and people, but otherwise I don't like it. For about 5 years I have been very interested in Boulder and the surrounding area. I just left the business world and started teaching. I am 28. The teaching pay is obviously very different, I make ~53,0000 in my second year here without a masters. I think that is like 20 years in CO. Whereas, here we top out at ~$95,000.

Anyhow, can a teacher with two incomes afford a house? Or is it like here where I have to rent a studio above a garage for $1200/month? Is there a variety of food? I like viet, chinese, thai, japanese, mexican, etc. Plus, I am trying to convince my viet girlfriend to relocate. Are there any Asians? How about Asian markets and stuff?

Also, is Colorado part of the bible belt? My dad recently retired and moved to Austin and the evangelicals are driving him nuts. I am hoping that is not the case in the Boulder area.

I have heard good things about Boulder, Broomfield, Louisville. And mixed stuff about Fort Collins. I hear it is colder and more dreary with not much to do.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:45 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,417,668 times
are you handy? There is the teacher next door program available to buy a HUD owned property for half the asking price.

definitely not a part of the bible belt of the southeast states, we are decidedly mountain west.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 37,422 times
Default Teaching Salaries in CO

Anyone know where the highest paid school districts are?

Old 05-23-2007, 08:07 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,990,879 times
Danimal2112

I saw an article a few days ago in the GJSentinel that Mesa County (District #51) was the 4th highest paying district in Colorado. I don't remember the top three. My wife had 15 yrs experience in Virginia, but the district allows only 10 yrs on the step scale. I think she took a $10,000 pay cut. Ouch! But she says that the smalll town kids are not as wild and crazy as the city kids from Virginia Beach and they are more disciplined due to greater parental involvement. Also the school district is growing and they will need to hire more teachers. Quite a few teachers were lost through retirement. Here's a link to the payscale for 2006:

http://www.mesa.k12.co.us/2003/Human_Resources/documents/TEACHER05-06.pdf (broken link)

I hope this helps you out.....Franco

Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,659,149 times
My guess would be Cherry Creek School District, just south and east of Denver. Maybe Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado Springs?

Old 05-23-2007, 03:26 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
My guess would be Cherry Creek School District, just south and east of Denver. Maybe Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado Springs?
I don't know Cheyenne Mountain's teacher wages. But it would not surprise me. They do not run buses except for away activities. Was told the reason was that the people said they would rather pay teachers more to get top teachers and get the kids to and from school themselves rather than the cost of running school buses. Don't know that for sure but was told that by a parent with kids in the Cheyenne Mt. system.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:30 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,090 times
I would be surprised if the districts transfer over more than 7 years' experience. This will be a set-back for me as well. I know the cost of living in Colorado is lower than California, but I'll be taking about a $25,000 cut per year teaching in Colorado. (I've been teaching 17 yrs.) That is a huge OUCH! I hope we can make it work somehow, but it certainly is scary.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:56 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
I would be surprised if the districts transfer over more than 7 years' experience. This will be a set-back for me as well. I know the cost of living in Colorado is lower than California, but I'll be taking about a $25,000 cut per year teaching in Colorado. (I've been teaching 17 yrs.) That is a huge OUCH! I hope we can make it work somehow, but it certainly is scary.
Oh I am sure you'll make it. My Granddaughter is making twice the amount in Calif that she did here and is going in the hole and has not aquaired any other bills than she had here. In fact her car is paid for and is in need of an other. Needless to say she is not thrilled. They are looking to leave. They went there for law schooling. They are looking else where for next year. So I figure the other way around should be managable??? How about the benifits and retirement of PERA. Any different? Overall money wise? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado