Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 08:39 PM

6 posts, read 14,030 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved to Denver from Texas a few months ago. My husband will be retiring here within the next few years. I graduated Nursing School as a RN, a few weeks before we moved here. I have applied for 127 positions total between Denver Health, HCA, Centura, and every other hospital from Denver, Ft Collins, Colorado Springs. I receive the automated email from the recruiters saying thanks for applying, however we apologize we are not hiring new grads or we r looking at other applicants who's skills more closely compare to the job. Even though the job announcement says may consider new grads. It has been 4 months with no success. Please does anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 09:07 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Katiana on this forum may have some advice for you.

What I do know is that, unlike most places, there is a surplus of nursing grads in Colorado for the number of positions available. In my area in rural Colorado, more and more hospitals are utilizing "roaming" nurses who may work in several different hospitals. Doing this, the hospitals can stay at near full nursing staff without having to hire additional nurses. A lot of those nurses get run ragged traveling all over the region to work, but it saves the hospitals money. It also means, though, that there is much less demand for more "warm bodies" in the profession.

Also, like everything else in the public sector, publicly-funded hospitals in Colorado (and that is most of them) are getting double-squeezed by a heavy Medicaid/Medicare patient load that is a money-loser for them, while the public tax revenues that provide additional financial support to them is drying up, as well. Like any other business, a hospital or clinic's biggest expense is labor costs, so that is the first thing that gets cut when times get tough--and tough they are.

Finally, Colorado schools continue to turn out a high number of nursing grads every year. Like it or not, there is a strong bias, especially outside of the metro areas, toward hiring local residents for any available openings.

A friend whose daughter was in a similar situation to you, after looking for a nursing job here in Colorado for many months, finally accepted a job working as a nurse at a remote clinic on an Indian Reservation in Arizona--and she had to compete against numerous other applicants for that job.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,996 times
Just a thought> A friend of ours became an RN a couple of years ago. Upon graduation she also could not find an RN position in COS. She volunteered for a few months and was able to get hired into a full time position. But she was connected, having done her schooling locally.
Our daughter graduated nursing school in San Diego at the end of 2010. Out of her class only 2 had positions upon passing the board exams. Luckily she was 1 of the 2. Not too long ago most of those RN's would've had multiple offers, most with bonuses. Things have changed.
Good Luck. Hopefully you will find something soon.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 AM

169 posts, read 373,225 times
Have you considered commuting a couple of hours from home, even if you have to fly? While not optimal, it may help you get your foot in the door later. My wife is also a recent nursing school graduate and we were so intent on moving to Colorado (moved from KY 4 months ago) we decided to do whatever it took, even something as extreme as if it meant she had to fly somewhere, live in hotels for a few days, rinse and repeat. We went so far as to check airfares to Phoenix, Vegas, Albuquerque, etc. Fortunately, she was able to land a gig about an hour away in Farmington, NM, and at a hospital she LOVES. Btw, her hospital, San Juan Regional Medical Center currently needs 25 nurses and they love new grads. Starting pay is $22.75, fwiw.
Almost forgot, a new-grad classmate of hers got on immediately at Ideal Image (laser hair removal, no kidding) in Colorado Springs making a similar wage so you might hit them up. Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by VenusAllen; 11-14-2011 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 01:57 PM

109 posts, read 287,386 times
Ram-945, do you have an ADN or BSN? I wonder how much of a difference that makes for new grads right now.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:51 PM

6 posts, read 14,030 times
I have an ADN but I'm 2 months into my BSN.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 AM

169 posts, read 373,225 times
Fwiw my wife only has an Associate's.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-945 View Post
My husband and I just moved to Denver from Texas a few months ago. My husband will be retiring here within the next few years. I graduated Nursing School as a RN, a few weeks before we moved here. I have applied for 127 positions total between Denver Health, HCA, Centura, and every other hospital from Denver, Ft Collins, Colorado Springs. I receive the automated email from the recruiters saying thanks for applying, however we apologize we are not hiring new grads or we r looking at other applicants who's skills more closely compare to the job. Even though the job announcement says may consider new grads. It has been 4 months with no success. Please does anyone have any advice?
I came here in 1980 as an experienced nurse and nevertheless had a hard time finding a job. Colorado has rarely experienced the "nursing shortages" that other states have due to large numbers of people locating here.

My advice for you would be to look at nursing homes. That is what a friend's daughter did when she first graduated with a BSN. She eventually (about a year later) got a job at Children's Hospital. If you are going for your BS, I'd focus on that and when you get out you can look for a job more to your liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado