Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:22 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
And PS... The slimeballs only exist because of prohibition of in demand substances. You cannot materially effect that demand by banning them, as the demand is inherent to the human condition. You would think we would've learned our lesson, but I guess not. The slimeballs would be out of business overnight were prohibition to come to an end.

Or do you have violent shootouts between Grey Goose and Absolut where you live?
Oh c'mon, DF, "shootouts"? I don't believe the criminals who turn violent over money are simple drug dealers. We're talking about organized crime/gangs now, best I can tell. True, much of their funding probably comes from the sale of illegal drugs. But those with other priorities would simply find another illegal commodity (prostitution, and once that was legalized, CHILD prostitution or slavery, numbers rackets, protection rackets, arms trafficking, etc.) Things some might say are worse than drugs.

If you can understand that crime can't be stopped, you understand that for it to keep moving, it will fall back on anything and everything. You see, it's the long story of why, the only way to stop crime is to make everything legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 05:43 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Oh c'mon, DF, "shootouts"? I don't believe the criminals who turn violent over money are simple drug dealers. We're talking about organized crime/gangs now, best I can tell.
And?? These syndicates would not exist if legal drugs were produced and distributed by legitimate businesses.

Quote:
But those with other priorities would simply find another illegal commodity (prostitution, and once that was legalized, CHILD prostitution or slavery, numbers rackets, protection rackets, arms trafficking, etc.) Things some might say are worse than drugs.
Perhaps but you're missing a very important point. Many, perhaps most, or dare I say virtually all casual drug users are, for the most part, otherwise normal, law-abiding, productive members of society. Prostitution should be legal, money changing hands should never make an otherwise legal act into a crime, ditto for numbers rackets, as that's simply gambling, which should also be legal.

As for the rest of your examples, end user demand is so low that, at best, the criminal enterprises will be but a shadow of their former selves, and with law enforcement freed up to go after real crime, might find the going tough.

There is absolutely no justifiable cause to instruct free men as to what they can and cannot put into their own bodies.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:58 PM

169 posts, read 373,191 times
"If people want to make marijuana legal, then let them convince a majority in Congress to legalize it and elect a President who will sign the legislation into law."

Huh? That's exactly what we're doing, you just don't like it.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
And?? These syndicates would not exist if legal drugs were produced and distributed by legitimate businesses.
Yuh-huh!

Quote:
As for the rest of your examples, end user demand is so low that, at best, the criminal enterprises will be but a shadow of their former selves, and with law enforcement freed up to go after real crime, might find the going tough.
Protection rackets, child prostitution, and child slavery. Doesn't the argument you're now making ("end user demand would be lower") sort of contrast with the suggestion that drug use would decline if it were legal? I mean, I figured you'd concede that demand for any commodity remaining illegal would rise.

And I honestly don't see how the Feds responding to a hot tip resulting in a drug bust, or a policeman asking to search a vehicle and arresting someone for drugs, actually ties up law enforcement in the first place. Ch'mon, you see them all parked at convenience stores or on the side of the road waiting for a speeder anyway.

We are both theorizing now though, so who's to say? You may be right.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Listen, I'm not trying to impose MY will on anybody. We collectively decided, through our elected representatives, that marijuana should be illegal on the federal level. Period.

Absolutely concur that "we" collectively decided to ban the substance, the difference between you and I is that myself, Rosa Parks, Susan B. Anthony, CosmicWizard, and Mike From Back East (sorry if I omitted anyone else) are not content with being told what to do. Using your logic, women should still be barefoot and pregnant because it was once illegal to vote, right? Are you really this dense?

However smart you may think you are, you sure as hell would flunk civics, if, in fact, you even know what the word means. Ignorance of law and civics is a truly dangerous thing, as Thomas Jefferson noted:
I don't know how my smarts stack up against others but I know they are head and shoulders above yours. I'm 48 and the word civics was obsolete even when I was in school, so unless your canasta buddies are on this forum, I suggest you update your vernacular. LOL @ a bitter old man.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-20-2011 at 06:39 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 06:46 PM

"As all of that relates to marijuana--if the people in favor of legalization are so damned "het up" about it, then let them go to work to get 50% +1 of the US Congress to pass a bill to legalize it, then get the President to sign it. Until then, S**U."

Again, Einstein, that's exactly what we're doing . I truly don't understand your position, you're all over the place. Just so I'm clear, you hate drugs, but if WE work to make them legal you'll be on board since legal=right/moral, but WE need to "S**U" while we enact this change. Is that about it? Is that what I would have learned in civics?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
"As all of that relates to marijuana--if the people in favor of legalization are so damned "het up" about it, then let them go to work to get 50% +1 of the US Congress to pass a bill to legalize it, then get the President to sign it. Until then, S**U."

Again, Einstein, that's exactly what we're doing . I truly don't understand your position, you're all over the place. Just so I'm clear, you hate drugs, but if WE work to make them legal you'll be on board since legal=right/moral, but WE need to "S**U" while we enact this change. Is that about it? Is that what I would have learned in civics?
Lol. Hey, over 50% of communication is body language, don'tcha know. Maybe if you go up to Congress and do a little dance?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Lol. Hey, over 50% of communication is body language, don'tcha know. Maybe if you go up to Congress and do a little dance?

So that's what separates the good lobbyists from the bad, the ability to shake your money maker.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times
I hope this country wakes up one day and removes the marijuana tax. Prohibition is a crock of crap. The War on Drugs has been nothing but a waste of money. Thanks Ronald.

The government (this one) arrests clinics who sell medical marijuana, sick and dying people who buy it. Yet they themselves give marijuana to a select few under a program that has been going on for years. Irony?

The Emperor wears no clothes.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Thanks Ronald.
Blame Nixon. He appointed a commission to study Marijuana & other drug use to try to do something too stop all those damned protesting hippies. When this commission (the Shaeffer Commission) came back with the result being a recommendation to legalize marijuana. He didn't like. Didn't get the answer he wanted so he created the DEA & declared a "War on Drugs".

The pr**k!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado