Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 PM

152 posts, read 583,441 times

Advertisements

No, but close.
Just bud from Paonia co, on MT Elbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Ever smoked some Humboldt County Skunk on Mount Evans?

Joe Walsh- Rocky Mountain Way - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 09:46 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
And yet the federal government has chosen to selectively go after the ever expanding list of states that have legalized medical marijuana use. If it's such a black and white issue than why hasn't the federal government come down much harder on these states? There's no reason to think it will be any different for CO or WA now that they've legalized it for recreational use. I think it's highly unlikely that a second term Obama would defy the will of CO voters in a swing state that may be critical to the next democratic president candidate getting elected (or not.) It remains to be seen if they use the DEA and IRS to intimidate commercial growers and retail establishments selling it (as in the case of medical marijuana.) One thing is for sure, the feds don't have the manpower to arrest individual users for possession and that alone is a huge step forward. If the feds are dead-set on making sure all of the profits from recreational marijuana sales go to the drug cartels than so be it. But at least the state won't be wasting money and law enforcement resources arresting and prosecuting people for simple possession.
What you have just described is an unethical political hack willing to violate his oath of office for political expediency. That kind of BS is EXACTLY why people have no trust or faith in this country's political leadership, anymore. A true leader would uphold the laws that he swore an oath to uphold, even if those laws were unpopular among some of the electorate. When I was an elected official, I always said that I would rather be voted out of office for upholding the laws and Constitution rather than be re-elected for betraying them. Too much of today's electorate like political whores who will betray their oath of office to get votes because, just like the regular streetwalkers, it's easy to get them to say "yes" to anything by waving a few bucks in their face . . . and little things like law and decency be damned.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:15 PM

113 posts, read 396,565 times
Default (MARIJUANA A64) Once people see the devil

Once people see the devil doesn't jump out of the pipe and steal babies when you light it all will be well and go back to normal

CONGRATULATIONS COLORADO!!!!!!

I'd rather have my kids smoke pot than drink beer any day!!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,165,670 times
The feds need to roll back the probation.
It is obvious the people don't want it.
By the people.
The people of co have a different law and they should be able to enforce it.

Jazz
During the Depression the new president, F.D. Roosevelt tried to solve this economic problem by raising money for the federal government from alcoholic taxes and tariffs this ended prohibition on alcohol.

Maybe the feds I mean the the Press will take the opportunity to use a proven way to generate revenue just like FDR did with alcohol and use the NEW tax on MJ to fund our own bail out???
Hummmm or would you like to pay more income tax and property tax out of your pocket.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:06 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,983,652 times
Wink Getting truly high

"Spirit…has fifty times the strength and staying-power of brawn and muscle."
— Mark Twain, "Saint Joan of Arc" essay, 1904

The federal government may prove obstructionist to an extent, and perhaps a real ass, but not as if they do not have many better things to occupy their time. Indeed what they are paid by us to do, and supposedly elected for—not to thwart the popular will.

As for the US Constitution, it should be upheld. Our current president, and that preceding him, surely have not. In part, witness the thoroughly unconstitutional Patriot Act and NDAA. These alone should have either of these guys, and many of their cohorts, behind bars, if not shot as traitors. So some concern for legality, please.

Nevertheless we might, and it could be noted that the contention between states rights and the federal government has been an ongoing question since before the inception of this nation; it will continue to be, and as all other laws at last but fictions which at best reflect the highest form of popular will. Contrary to the misperception fostered by interested parties, federal law does not trump all. As Alexander Hamilton explained in the Federalist Papers, federal law should have precedence over states rights only in pursuance of its constitutionally granted powers. Or:
"But it will not follow from this doctrine that acts of the large society which are not pursuant to its constitutional powers, but which are invasions of the residuary authorities of the smaller societies, will become the supreme law of the land. These will be merely acts of usurpation, and will deserve to be treated as such." [1]
In other words, broadly speaking, within the narrow powers granted it, primarily being national defense, the role of the federal government is to uphold the spirit and law of the Constitution. Certainly not to usurp it or use tyrannical powers towards wicked ends.

Which would be a good place to state categorically that as a natural plant bestowed by God that marijuana is a blessing to mankind. It might be used as such, not only for recreation, but more importantly in expansion of consciousness and spirituality. Anyone seeking to thwart this, to deny any other as much is at minimum misguided.

Thomas Jefferson and James Madison had further thoughts on the matter of states rights, to wit:
"Resolved, that the several States composing the United States of America, are not united on the principle of unlimited submission to their general government; but that by compact under the style and title of a Constitution for the United States and of amendments thereto, they constituted a general government for special purposes, delegated to that government certain definite powers, reserving each State to itself, the residuary mass of right to their own self-government; and that whensoever the general government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force: That to this compact each State acceded as a State, and is an integral party, its co-States forming, as to itself, the other party....each party has an equal right to judge for itself, as well of infractions as of the mode and measure of redress." [1]
All legal niceties aside, in the end this will come down to evolving perception and the greater will. Those in Colorado and Washington state having voted for as much have made a bold stand which will inspire others. Antagonism and countervailing forces as well, but they at basis have no strong argument as fundamentally wrong. There can be nothing right in denying another the fruits of this world.

As another note, al Jazeera reports that some in Mexico see the decision in Colorado and Washington state as a positive trend that may well in some measure free them from drug related violence. The projection that in Washington state alone the cartels will lose $1.4 billion per year from marijuana's legalization. That could be, not coincidentally, money now directed towards alleviating in part the many ills in this nation, in helping schools, roads and bridges, budget deficits, you name it.

No doubt there will be a fight in this, to what extent yet to be determined. But we can judge this newly re-elected president in the measure he reforms himself and addresses the true problems in this country. Marijuana is hardly one; and indeed in freeing all from the censure that has existed for so long much will be gained. Those in opposition might look to their own gods to determine how they would favor the persecution of another for their beliefs when that action does not impact them; a close reading of most any religion will reveal the suggestion that one should best first look to themselves (with more than enough work therein to keep them busy near indefinitely).

Beyond that, even taking a toke, getting high, and in this finding how their own world has expanded in new and wonderful ways.

1) ' States' rights,' Wikipedia
States' rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,990,879 times
Not sure where this pic was taken, but it makes the point.

The Colorado skyline on the first day of legal marijuana!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 AM

98 posts, read 181,861 times
Now that this natural substance has been elevated to the level of respect it deserves, the proper descriptive term is: CANNABIS.

Marijuana: is a derogatory mexican name given to it by our government in 1937, as part of their scare tactics. That name should be abandoned, as it is prohibitionist by nature.

Pot, Grass, Weed, Etc. are just slang words for....CANNABIS!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,442,251 times
Poke some SMOT! Get baked! Get Stupid! Get Retarded! ... let's get retarded in here...

Edit; When I said retarded, I meant RETARDED!

I have every right judging and communicating my thoughts on weed and people who use it for recreational use because I have personal experience with it.

If you argue me for any reason... say you have monetary motive to support the decriminalization of the THC product... or any drug, or just want to con me into why weed is NOT physiologically addictive, read my 4 blogs and go to my blogspot blog and we'll continue the conversation over there.

What's my motive? Check it out. I'll hide nothing here. I'm an 8+ year sober alcoholic (I use A.A. for my personal recovery and I don't represent the fellowship due to their very traditions, but hey, it works so well for me that... why should I hide the fact?) who was never a drug addict... but had fun with many drugs, weed included.

I've found a sufficient substitute to all that crap by using spiritual principles and my life is a blessing in all phases of my life and I shall never ever look back.

If you want to smoke weed, do any mind-altering drug, abuse alcohol (hats off to folks who can control and enjoy their drinking btw!) etc., that's your business. If you ever find that you don't want to do that and can't seem to shake it, come talk to me. There's a cheaper and way better substitute... and I promise I won't try to sell you on religion... just to have an open mind about this Thing we all call God.

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-08-2012 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,007,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Poke some SMOT! Get baked! Get Stupid! Get Retarded! ... let's get retarded in here...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,115,527 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado