U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,330,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettrix View Post
I-80 between Cheyenne and Rawlins has got to be one of the most TREACHEROUS spots in winter. The winds are notorious and that highway closes down on a weekly basis during winter. The winds rip through there, especially near Rawlins, at 75MPH+ during winter.

It is like a wind tunnel up there.
Clarification for those who aren't as familiar with the area, I-80 between Cheyenne and Rawlins is north of the border, in our neighbor to the north, Wyoming; it's not in the Colorado Front Range.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,927 times
My husband and I are thinking of moving to Colorado Springs come February 2009. We have lived in Texas all our lives, we have 3 kids....We are getting soooo tired of the baking heat and humidity.

I know tornados can happen anywhere, i just want to know how frequent they are in COS? Here in Central Texas (austin area) we have tornado watches/warnings almost every spring/summer, but we have never had one hit us. There was one that hit Austin in 2001, that hit my familys neighborhood, it was an F-1. I am scared to death of tornados, i will admit..

We basically want to start fresh in a new state, look foward to having actual winters rather than wearing t-shirts and shorts on Christmas.....I mean, what fun is Christmas, if it feels like summer!? LOL...

Also, are there many jobs in COS? Thanks, and im sure my question has been answered in another post, but i got my 3 kiddos running around, so I kinda got to be quick on the computer these days : ) Thanks so much!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:26 PM

862 posts, read 2,434,657 times
According to NOAA, they have had 79 tornadoes since 1950 in the El Paso County.

NCDC Storm Events-Select State

2 - F3's
7 - F2's
17 - F1's
51 - F0's

What you do get a lot of is HAIL. 756 hail storms reported since 1950. $35 million dollars worth of damage.

But the REAL KILLER out there is lightening. There has been 8 deaths since 1950 in that area with 37 injuries.

IMHO, I disliked Colorado front range weather. That is why I moved out of the state. The weather was too erratic and unpredictable. It can go from 75F and sunny to 30F and a snow filled blizzard in less than 24 hours. The winds out here are bad. It's like a wind tunnel. Every honest resident will tell you that the winds take getting use to. Some people like that, not me, if you like that kind of stuff then Colorado is for you.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:55 PM

91 posts, read 118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I grew up in northeastern Indiana (on a farm) and I have seen summer and winter weather here in the metro area that would be very comparable to the weather when I lived in Indiana. People here in the Denver area can say what they want, but 5 inches of snow in the winter in the Charlotte NC area is what I (and the people in this Forum from Charlotte) would call "mild" winters.
Yes, Colorado and the Denver area can/does have nice weather in the summer and in the winter........but not all the time!! In fact, I have photos and video of summer and winter storms that are pretty impressive of the "nasty" type weather we can get here. Photos and video DON'T lie.
You hit the nail right on the head.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The 60" of snow per year can be misleading. There are wide swings in the amount of snowfall. This year has been fairly snowy, especially in the mountains. We didn't get what I consider a proper January thaw in the metro area. We often get some quite warm, 60ish weather that month. March seems to be coming in like a lamb, often goes out like a lion. We'll see.
The West side of town probably gets twice that amount of snow, which means that is a lot of snow.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
Here are the facts:

* Phoenix in the summer is HOT, no doubt, but it offers great temperatures from November thru March. It is an ideal winter weather getaway. Now, from April thru October it can and will get VERY HOT. Most outdoor activities are done at night during that period. Sunrise and sundown are also peak outdoor activity periods during that time.

* Colorado can be VERY cold and VERY snowy in the winter. More people DIE due to cold weather snow and ice. More accidents happen due to snow and ice. It can be FRIGID cold and we can get A LOT of snow. We are talking about the Denver metro area.

It all comes down to PERSONAL CHOICE. Some people HATE the cold and snow, others HATE the heat. One is not "better" than the other, it depends on the person.

I was in Phoenix and it was a 110F. I hated it, and drove north to Prescott to get out of the heat. I was in Denver when it was -10F with the wind chill and it was icy and snowy. I hated it.

That is the point. Each has its pros and cons. One is NOT better than the other. It comes down to personal choice...
AMEN. I'm glad someone understands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado