U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 PM

458 posts, read 2,636,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We have been to Black Hawk (gambling town) in the Rockies a number of times. We have been to Estes Park and inside Rocky Mountain National Park a few times. And, we have been to Evergreen once. My wife can't drive in high elevation, so I have to. But, since I've had a hip replacement done and had that shoulder surgery done, we just don't go up into the Rockies like we did a couple of years ago. We still go to Black Hawk once in a while because we like playing the slots (and we do an ok job of winning). Neither of us are into hiking or biking anymore.....but then again, we are 58/59 years old and physically just can not do it. So, when we first moved here in 2002, for the next couple of years we did love going into the Rockies, but not anymore.
If you are young, in your 20's, 30's or even 40's, you will love hiking or whatever in those beautiful Rocky Mountains.
I was talking more of just looking at them in general not necessarily going up into the mountains. I don't go hiking or skiing or anything like that--not that I wouldn't be open minded to try it out but I just don't see myself getting into skiing or mountain biking or whatever to the point to where it would be basically necessary to move somewhere with mountains. I think they would be nice for viewing and go into them occasionally but I was basically just wondering if the novelty of looking at them a lot wears off or if it's really significant even once you have lived there for years and get used to seeing them all of the time. I don't think they would ever get to the point to where you are just sick of looking at them lol, but I'm just wondering if it is really like "wow" everytime you see them or if that wears off after awhile. I guess that might vary from each person though. I'm basically just trying to conclude that it would not be smart to move somewhere with not quite the climate I'm looking for just to have a nice view of some mountains. I've asked my friend who is from Las Vegas that question and he always tells me "They're just mountains."
Rate this post positively

Old 08-31-2007, 08:57 AM

7,518 posts, read 17,697,451 times
To me, more than my wife, "mountains are just mountains". But, the sunsets that happen over them sure can be spectacular to see/photograph. Other than that, I'm ready for a new mountain range now (North Carolina area mountains).

Old 08-31-2007, 10:18 AM

615 posts, read 2,838,175 times
I thought this thread was about Denvera area weather. Seems we've strayed off topic.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 PM

458 posts, read 2,636,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
I thought this thread was about Denvera area weather. Seems we've strayed off topic.
Technically I was on topic I asked if having the rocky mountains there would be worth it since Denver has weather that I pretty much don't like lol

Old 08-31-2007, 02:11 PM

Sometimes we (wife/I) think that a lot of people who are thinking about moving to the Denver metro area are very much "fooled" into believing that the weather here is as nice and "mild" as a lot of locals say it is. For a lot of folks living in parts of So Calif., they have never experienced hail, lots of lightning, crashing thunder, the "beep, beep, beep" TV warning of severe weather, snow flying so hard you can't see across the street, using a snow shovel or blower, driving in a "white-out" condition and sliding all over on ice or seeing a heavy snowstorm break the limbs on your trees by the house. Yes, there are times there is absolutely terrific weather here, but there are also other times that people should know about/research about. Some people who live in So Calif don't snow ski or go into the mountains during their winter months, living in snow/cold could be a real EYE OPENER to them. Even the ones that snow ski there, it could be a real shock to them. There is a lot of difference between going into the mountains of SoCalif and skiing for a day and actually LIVING in the stuff.
No one should be stopped from moving here, but they should know that there is REAL weather here and it can definitely get NASTY.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
No one should be stopped from moving here, but they should know that there is REAL weather here and it can definitely get NASTY.
Yes it can, but IMO you seem to emphasize the extremes more than necessary and greatly under play the good weather we get. That tends to give people an impression that is on the other extreme. I tried to be more balanced in my summary, since I think the truth lies more in the middle. We do get lots of good weather and we can get bad (yes, even really bad) weather. I still think CO weather is better than most, if not all other 4 season states. Of course, that is my opinion.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:48 PM

971 posts, read 2,119,551 times
Quote:
Sometimes we (wife/I) think that a lot of people who are thinking about moving to the Denver metro area are very much "fooled" into believing that the weather here is as nice and "mild" as a lot of locals say it is. For a lot of folks living in parts of So Calif., they have never experienced hail, lots of lightning, crashing thunder, the "beep, beep, beep" TV warning of severe weather, snow flying so hard you can't see across the street, using a snow shovel or blower, driving in a "white-out" condition and sliding all over on ice or seeing a heavy snowstorm break the limbs on your trees by the house. Yes, there are times there is absolutely terrific weather here, but there are also other times that people should know about/research about. Some people who live in So Calif don't snow ski or go into the mountains during their winter months, living in snow/cold could be a real EYE OPENER to them. Even the ones that snow ski there, it could be a real shock to them. There is a lot of difference between going into the mountains of SoCalif and skiing for a day and actually LIVING in the stuff.

What about someone coming from the Southeast U.S., where there are thunderstorms, cold weather, and the occasional snow/ice storm? Will the weather be a real shock to them too you think? Any southerners care to comment?

Old 08-31-2007, 06:41 PM

90,377 posts, read 109,288,798 times
The weather here is much better than anything I knew in the northeast or the midwest. I can't comment on the south, but just wanted to add.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 PM

I grew up in northeastern Indiana (on a farm) and I have seen summer and winter weather here in the metro area that would be very comparable to the weather when I lived in Indiana. People here in the Denver area can say what they want, but 5 inches of snow in the winter in the Charlotte NC area is what I (and the people in this Forum from Charlotte) would call "mild" winters.
Yes, Colorado and the Denver area can/does have nice weather in the summer and in the winter........but not all the time!! In fact, I have photos and video of summer and winter storms that are pretty impressive of the "nasty" type weather we can get here. Photos and video DON'T lie.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, Colorado and the Denver area can/does have nice weather in the summer and in the winter........but not all the time!!
So, who's been saying that the weather is always good here? Please point me to those posts so I can understand where you are coming from. From the posts I've seen, I can't recall anyone claiming that. There is a lot in info on this forum about the varitey of weather we get here, good and bad.

Quote:
In fact, I have photos and video of summer and winter storms that are pretty impressive of the "nasty" type weather we can get here. Photos and video DON'T lie.
Again, I don't think anyone doubts that we get bad weather here. I surely don't, as I have grown up here and lived here most of my life. I just think you overplay the bad weather and underplay the good weather. That is a common theme in many of your posts here. To me, that is as bad as anyone who might claim that it is always sunny and nice here. From one extreme view point to the other. I'd still like to see those posts that you feel so strongly about rebutting.

Last edited by gpraceman; 08-31-2007 at 09:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado