U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:38 PM

7,518 posts, read 17,696,258 times

Advertisements

Ok, let's just let "this dead horse rest"! Colorado and Denver year-around weather is the best anyone will ever find....end of story. Let this Thread go on to better replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yea I fell for the ole, rose colored glasses on the NC forum, lots of peopled emailed me how great it was, me and a many others found out the hard way but we get attacked if we post it on the forums. It wasnt just the weather. I saw you post negative things about Denver , so far I havent had any bad experiences here, just the opposite. People can post their experiences, everyone has a different one, I look at the good and bad now, not just the good, learned that from my NC experience, I should have known better.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 PM

835 posts, read 2,682,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
I'm still confused and maybe I always will be unless I spend some time in the Denver area but I look up averages for temperatures in the Denver area and they do not look very attractive to me. I am from the Louisville, KY area and I want to get away from the winters here-- they are cloudy and gray all of the time, often cold for months at a time, and I find myself staying inside the house all of the time. From the temperatures alone, Denver is colder than Louisville every month of the year. The daytime temperatures are probably about the same but Denver gets much cooler at night. I have heard a lot of people say they love it but I like being able to walk outside at 10 or 11pm and it still be warm May-August. In April it usually warms up into the 70s here but at night it drops probably into the 50s and sometimes 40s and it's cold. I don't like that. Denver seems like the night time low is usually below 60 except in the summer time. It can be in the 80s during the day in May but 50s at night. Is it just a different kind of cold there or what? As far as I'm concerned cold is cold but I have heard a lot of people say it can be in the 40s and 50s and still not feel cold in Denver ... Can anyone who has lived in the Denver area and also the Louisville area or somewhere in this region describe the differences? On paper it looks like Denver is colder than it is here but maybe the way it actually feels is different.

I am debating moving to the Denver, Dallas, or maybe Phoenix metro areas. I'm not much of a cold weather fan but I don't mind some cold-- just not months and months at a time of cold with no light at the end of the tunnel until you get to April. Based on my climate preferences Denver isn't looking good but I don't want to give up on it just yet. I just find it hard to believe that you can comfortably wear a t-shirt in 50 degree weather.
hey man i am based in lexington 75 miles to your east daytime winter temps are very similar but nightime winter temps are quite cold in denver, and here as u know it is usually cold and rainy in the winter in colorado when there is precip in the winter it is snow and depending on your elevation can be quite heavy, most snowfalls as i have heard stay below 12'' in denver, here in ky as you know most snows stay under 2'' lol

Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 PM

90,377 posts, read 109,281,438 times
It rarely rains in Denver in the winter, meaning from say, December through Feb. And that is being generous. I would say it snows more than rains in November, too. In March, my daughter and I saw some kids sticking out theri tongues to catch raindrops. I told my daughter, they may not have seen rain for six months.

I don't think there is an average snowfall here. 12" is pretty uncommon, that it, not every winter. Generally it goes weeks w/o any precip at all. Yes, it is cooler at night, even in the summer. Whether that is good or bad is a matter of opinion. After dark, 40 degrees feels pretty cold, IMO.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:29 AM

458 posts, read 2,636,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
hey man i am based in lexington 75 miles to your east daytime winter temps are very similar but nightime winter temps are quite cold in denver, and here as u know it is usually cold and rainy in the winter in colorado when there is precip in the winter it is snow and depending on your elevation can be quite heavy, most snowfalls as i have heard stay below 12'' in denver, here in ky as you know most snows stay under 2'' lol
Yeah I've pretty much come to the conclusion that Denver's climate is similar to ours except more snow, colder lows, more sunshine, and less humidity. I don't think it's really what I'm looking for. I don't know, I just don't think I want a true winter but more like a mini-winter about like what Dallas has. Occasional cold days that make you appreciate the warm days in the winter time. I'm starting to think a place like Phoenix or Florida isn't as good because you always hear about people saying they wear a jacket when it's under 75 because they are so used to it being hot that 75 feels cold to them. I pretty much like the climate here outside of the winters which I don't think Denver is much improvement as far as not being so cold all of the time.

Did you guys get any of the blizzard we had in I think December 2004 like 3-4 days before Christmas? 21 inches, and it wasn't much fun. My dad's truck got stuck at the bottom of our street and he had to leave it there overnight because there was no possible way to get it to our house. Snow is nice except for trying to drive or work in it I understand where you're coming from on most snows being under 2''. I say either do it right and make it a blizzard or don't snow at all. I hate when it snows barely enough to not even cover the grass.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:36 AM

7,518 posts, read 17,696,258 times
Apparently, this is "some" (not all of course) what California people think when they move to the Denver area:
A number of years ago I was chatting with a gal (Chat Room/Internet) that moved from Sacramento, Calif. to the Denver metro area. She had been in Denver for a year and this is what she said to me while we were talking about the weather, "I can understand it snowing in the mountains, but why does it have to snow in the city?" I was sort of shocked when I read what she said and wrote back, "Where do you think you are living, of course they get snow there!!" I think she got a little upset with me because she left the chat room and I never heard from her again.
Did she do any "weather research" before moving here.....sure doesn't sound like it. But, I'm sure there are some folks that move here from SoCalif (who only looked at mountain winter snow from their house in LA or where ever...didn't go up to ski or play in it) and they get shocked when a real snowstorm or blizzard hits us. I'll be some of them even think "what am I doing here??" (even though they know why they moved out of California).

Old 09-06-2007, 08:38 AM

10,017 posts, read 17,540,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, let's just let "this dead horse rest"! Colorado and Denver year-around weather is the best anyone will ever find....end of story. Let this Thread go on to better replies.
Hey dont like my replies, dont read or respond, you replied to me that other people told you how great it was, I was simply replying with my expereince. I never said it was the best weather, did I? But after living in 6 states, it is the best of them, My opinion. There , horse has been beaten enough.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:23 AM

835 posts, read 2,682,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
Yeah I've pretty much come to the conclusion that Denver's climate is similar to ours except more snow, colder lows, more sunshine, and less humidity. I don't think it's really what I'm looking for. I don't know, I just don't think I want a true winter but more like a mini-winter about like what Dallas has. Occasional cold days that make you appreciate the warm days in the winter time. I'm starting to think a place like Phoenix or Florida isn't as good because you always hear about people saying they wear a jacket when it's under 75 because they are so used to it being hot that 75 feels cold to them. I pretty much like the climate here outside of the winters which I don't think Denver is much improvement as far as not being so cold all of the time.

Did you guys get any of the blizzard we had in I think December 2004 like 3-4 days before Christmas? 21 inches, and it wasn't much fun. My dad's truck got stuck at the bottom of our street and he had to leave it there overnight because there was no possible way to get it to our house. Snow is nice except for trying to drive or work in it I understand where you're coming from on most snows being under 2''. I say either do it right and make it a blizzard or don't snow at all. I hate when it snows barely enough to not even cover the grass.
same here if its gonna snow....it better be a whiteout and atleast 4 or 5 inches otherwise give me sun!!! yea man that dec 2004 storm turned my love for meteorology into a whole new thing, we got 1.4'' of freezing rain (ice) power went out and we had a "clear christmas" lol had to drive up to cincy to get relatives 30''+ on the ground that was the heaviset snowfall on record for our region since records have been kept since 1880s, 30'' in colorado may happen once a year if your live at the right elevation lol yea winter here sucks bad

Old 09-07-2007, 02:39 PM

24 posts, read 112,210 times
The weather is inconsistant - so it's hard to say how it is all the time. But my husband and I don't have airconditioning and have been super warm at night (stays about 70-88 degrees in the house- sometime miserable! GET A/C!). However last night was the first night we were really pretty chilly! It was definitely in the 50's last night and at 10:30 we sat comfortable out on our patio but with sweatshirts on - but by 11:30 it was getting pretty chilly. I imagine we have only a couple more weeks of such enjoyable weather. The cold in the evenings once October hits - is not warm! Halloween is usually a miserable temperature. I wouldn't bank on warm nights abve 50 degrees until June.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:27 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,436,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Actually...I think it MIGHT be that way there, because of the sun and low humidity, but the problem is it is still going to always be very cold at night and in the mornings. And I, for one, hate waking up and not wanting to get out of bed because the covers are keeping me warm.
Try living in texas with the airconditioning on all night and day. Go outside and it get a full blast of swampy muggy heat in your face at 8am. I moved from Cool Washington State, where a nice cool blast of air first thing in the morining is just a fantasy now. Bring on the cold Colorado, I have my coat ready. I cant take off more than a shirt in the texas heat, and it does not matter, the humid climate there makes clothes removal pointless.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:30 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,436,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Hey dont like my replies, dont read or respond, you replied to me that other people told you how great it was, I was simply replying with my expereince. I never said it was the best weather, did I? But after living in 6 states, it is the best of them, My opinion. There , horse has been beaten enough.
Hey neal1, which 6 states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado