Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should COLO pursue the 2022 Winter Olympics?
Yes. 21 63.64%
No. 10 30.30%
No opinion or no interest. 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,109,902 times

Advertisements

If indeed we secure the event what do you think the financial outcome would be?
Back in Calgary 1988 we hosted the event and actually made money.
The housing was on prime land overlooking the city and the condos were sold for a profit.
Your thoughts?
RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 10:20 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,403,216 times
I am undecided as I would need more information on the bid. For example would they want to use state tax money and have us vote on raising our taxes?

Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,109,902 times
Link to story.
Colorado exploring 2022 Winter Olympics Bid - NOCO5
RP

Old 12-16-2011, 10:28 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,403,216 times
This paragraph stands out:

"The opportunity to pursue the Games is an endeavor worth taking very seriously," Hickenlooper said. "We've asked this exploratory committee to explore all issues relevant to Denver potentially submitting a bid to the USOC. Those issues include making certain any bid would be financially sound and will help economic growth in the state. We would also want to find ways to showcase Colorado as the healthiest state in the nation for work and play no matter of a bid's outcome."

I am still undecided as I want to wait and what the exploratory committee finds. I would like to know how it would help the entire state, especially if they ask me to help pay for it.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,951,426 times
I'm not sure the IOC would award the Olympics to Denver. We famously were previously awarded the 1976 Olympics and then became the only city in history to turn it down. That may not be forgivable. This time around, the IOC may want an ironclad "show me the money" guarantee with a demonstrated voter approval.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:36 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,992,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
If indeed we secure the event what do you think the financial outcome would be?
Back in Calgary 1988 we hosted the event and actually made money.
The housing was on prime land overlooking the city and the condos were sold for a profit.
Your thoughts?
RP
If Denver could get it, which ain't going to happen. Because Denver is on a permanent black list for the Olympics, and everybody knows it.

It would probably have mixed results. Sure it would be a lot of good publicity for the city, and a lot of other good things would come out of it. But it would come at a steep price to pay, for something that would only last a couple of weeks.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,992,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I'm not sure the IOC would award the Olympics to Denver. We famously were previously awarded the 1976 Olympics and then became the only city in history to turn it down. That may not be forgivable. This time around, the IOC may want an ironclad "show me the money" guarantee with a demonstrated voter approval.
Exactly, you don't snub the International Olympic Committee, and get away with it. Thats just something you don't do, and they will never forget it.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:30 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,412,391 times
Vehemently against, just as I was back in 1972, when Colorado was bidding for the '76 Olympics. With few exceptions, the Winter Olympics have been a taxpayer money pit wherever they have been hosted. Like usual, a few promoters get the privatized profits and taxpayers get the socialized costs.

Back in 1972, the common belief was that it was the environmentalist community that killed the bid. They were opposed to the Olympics being held in Colorado--for sound reasons, as Colorado's subsequent land development patterns have shown--but it actually were the fiscal conservatives, who recognized the Olympics for the taxpayer-funded pork barrel that they would have been, that tipped the scales to defeat the Olympic bid. Colorado is in even more dire fiscal straits than anyone could have dreamed of back in 1972, so the idea that Colorado could afford to fund the Olympics in 2022 is not just questionable, it's outright preposterous. The state should quit even wasting one dime to pursue it and tell the IOC to stuff it where the sun doesn't shine.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:36 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,971,811 times
Wink Sport on a budget

As mentioned, these backers would probably have to convince a good many Colorado citizens of the fiscal viability of such a scheme. Ten years is also a long time in a deep fiscal hole to crawl out of, or perhaps dig all the deeper. Moreover, by then the IOC, even if granting Colorado the Olympic games, may have to move them to another country, due severe civil rights violations in this nation.

Be that as it may, perhaps the IOC could be convinced to overlook the previous slight of Denver if the games not actually hosted there. As far as skiing goes, they will not be in any event. If wishing to economize, this state surely already has enough in the way of ski areas to suffice, and with a few new flags, sweeping the sidewalks, etc., do perfectly fine. Maybe even an existing ice rink or two might be found. I'd suggest the pond at Keystone, although possibly too small, but a great venue otherwise.

Little of this may arouse much enthusiasm by developers wanting to rake in some glory and profits before skipping town, and leaving the tax payers with the bill. But that bill might conceivably be much smaller if certain economies exercised, and maybe even some public profit found if these organizers creative enough. The IOC might just go for this, budget games or not, if most everyone else around the globe pleading poverty and otherwise broke by then.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:37 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,369,278 times
All these boosters have to do is throw money, junket, gifts and of course sex, adults and children of both sexes to the Olympic committee--if that what it takes, morality be damned. They can be bought, like they have been in the past. The only difference, since Colorado shunned the Olympics, the bribes will have to be more. It can be done and these bombastic booster will pay, but other cities also are willing to pay the bribes.

The bidding gets higher and higher. Keep in mind the monetary cost of the bids are expenses that are expended and lost, even if Denver looses the bid. So, we will pamper and pimp to the sucking Olympic Committee and they will get benefits from everyone, and owe nothing to most, but a little to just one. It makes no difference to the boosters because they will find a way to put it on the taxpayers tabs.

The Olympics is about money and it is big business. It is about sucking money from the taxpayers to give it to a select few, and leave an environmental and financial burden to Colorado. Of course, the drooling masses do not care as their minds can only think sports, and nothing else.

What can I say, let the Game...ah...I mean the bribes of the bids, begin. The Torch has been lighted and it will be passed, flaming, up the derrieres of the taxpayers--that is the Olympic Greek Tradition.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-16-2011 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado