Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM

16 posts, read 38,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONHOLZ View Post
Pueblo, Co. looks like where I will move to. I would like some insight as to the neighbourhoods. (N. S. E. W.) I am retiring as want someplace safe and quiet. Any thoughts?
I would recommend 3 neighborhoods:

Aberdeen
Northside/northridge/eagleridge
Belmont

Within each of these neighborhoods you can find affordable, safe, quiet housing options and convenience.

I know a lot of people who like Pueblo West but I've always found it to be too windy and sort of barren. I also wouldn't want to drive on Hwy 50 all the time.

Congrats on retirement! And best of luck with the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 10:11 AM

16 posts, read 38,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sultrysol View Post
Thank you all for your contributions on Pueblo, CO. I'd appreciate any additional feedback on this. See, I need to be where there is a REAL ORGANIC HEALTH FOOD STORE, as my health literally depends on it. I am used to getting in my car and driving to a destination in a city, as, again, health-wise, mass transportation is very energy draining for me. Although I certainly do fly (also exhausting, but necessary) to get to where I need to go. Right now I am in the Midwest. I'd love to find the "right" place so that I'm not far from getting to AZ (Sedona), NM (Taos), and thinking that if I lived in CO, I'd have more of the green mountains, terrain of Wisconsin. And I prefer a little chill... some snow ok, as I want to still be able to wear my vintage furs for a part of the year. BUT I also really want a change.... experience the desert..... if not for the high temps in AZ, I would really check out Sedona...hear there is SOME relatively reasonable priced housing. Oh... and I'd like condo living....gotta have a deck wide enough and long enough to have a hammock AND a patio table w/chairs.

Thought Brevard, NC was going to be my place, and found a condo but turned out it had been so chemically treated and condo was literally all carpeted ... even the bathrooms...with this chemical that I'd have to tear out all carpeting and put down a totally new and expensive floor.... and have to pay to live and store my furniture elsewhere.... so THAT would be exhausting and very expensive AND their organic food store lost its lease. But loved the Blue Ridge Mountain Range, the springs, the falls, etc. GORGEOUS STATE. But then so is Colorado, which I intend to visit .... but need reasonably priced condo/condo fees and preferably NOT A COLLEGE TOWN, or at least not live where students can rent (sorry.... but I've had it with the college-aged renters around me.

So, with ALL THIS SAID, does Pueblo still sound like a good idea? Any other ideas, including other states and/or other cities? I'm a single gal, independent-minded, a writer of sci fi, and not operating with any kind of support system. 'cept you all out there!!!

Much thanks...

There is a natural foods store in Pueblo near the Pueblo Mall:
Natural Grocers | Your Real Natural Grocery Store

Not sure if it would have everything you need. I think there's a small organic market on Union Ave but not certain what it has to offer. You can also drive to the Springs where they have 2 Whole Foods markets and probably a few other options.

I think Pueblo could work well for you. It is a blue collar town but there is a vibe now that didn't exist 20 years ago. More entrepreneurial and progressive. It probably wouldn't work for everyone but I think you could find a niche. One thing I will say with confidence - you will be extremely hard pressed to find a better place if weather and cost of living are key requirements.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:50 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
I always forget about that place by the mall. That could work for the op...

Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 9,388 times
Default Make sure you think about it

DO NOT GO TO THE EAST SIDE.
I went to CSUP and am from out of state. I met a few good people there, and a friend took me around and showed me where is a good area and where isn't. North, which is where the campus is, is pretty decent, and so is the west, but the east not so much. My friend said that I was not to go there unless needed. Just a heads up. I would not move to Pueblo, which is why I moved back to where I come from. Go North. Not Colorado Springs kind of north, boulder and fort collins north.
That's my opinion at least, good luck!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-01-2012 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: changed "carson" to "collins"

Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,800 times
Hi everybody!
I am new to the forum. My husband and I are both artists and both retired...well I am soon to be.
We have lived in FL, for 40 years. We have a small printing business that we work out of our home.

We need to move from where we are to a more affordable area. Friends have told us about Pueblo CO.Have always wanted to live out West for a spell. We love small towns.
Your information above has been very helpful.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:44 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker49 View Post
OP: If you are determined to live in the Pueblo area and "safe and quiet" are most important to you, I would strongly recommend Pueblo West. I have lived here for 2.5 years as a retiree and have found it to be very safe, quiet, uncrowded, and affordable. I have great views of the Wet Mountains to the west, Pikes Peak to the north, and the Pueblo Reservoir to the south. Wildlife from the adjacent state park (deer, pronghorn, coyotes, red and kit fox, jackrabbits, eagles, owls, and even an occasional bobcat) are frequently seen in my neighborhood. There are no streetlights in the residential areas, so stargazing is amazing. In most areas of Pueblo West, lots are over one acre in size, which provides homeowners with a fair amount of privacy and distance from neighbors. Traffic is a non-issue. I have not been the victim of any crime - even vandalism - since moving here. Basic shopping (Walmart, Safeway, a few gas stations and fast food restaurants) is available in Pueblo West, with major shopping available 5-10 miles away in Pueblo. Some of the best housing values in the state are found in Pueblo West. Property taxes are very reasonable, and the sales tax is only 3.9% (compared to 7.5% in Pueblo). I am not a "city person" and enjoy the semi-rural feel of Pueblo West. But I also enjoy having all the urban conveniences (shopping, restaurants, medical care, arts and entertainment, etc) of a larger city like Pueblo so close by.
Bought a house in Pueblo West in 1985 and another acre on which we built a new house in 2005. Shows how much we like it out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado