Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:17 AM

11 posts, read 40,416 times

Advertisements

im not sure if i posted this before and have lost track of the thread but i was wondering which areas colorado are more republican/conservative or compared to california is the state more republican then demotratic. ive been looking into moving somewhere where my vote actually counts since it seems to me that a state such as california my vote doesnt mean anything because of the fact that most californians are demotratic or liberal please help in this i dont mean to offend anyone in this site i just seriously want to find out information about a state ive been looking into moving to for the past 3 or so years thank yall very much

Old 09-12-2006, 07:18 AM

46 posts, read 362,771 times
Default Colorado: a politically maverick state

Though I'm not from Colorado, I took (required) Political Science courses there in their university systems while getting my higher education there. I think I'm in a position to help you out. . .

Here's the "shorthand," if you will: Colorado Springs (El Paso County), Grand Junction/Montrose/Delta are your strong Republican leaning areas. Also the rural farming counties in the Eastern Plains, generally speaking.

Boulder (city and county), Denver (city and county) and its metro area, and Pueblo (city and county) are the Democratic strongholds. Also the trendy mountain areas such as Aspen, Vail, etc. etc.

The end result is the state as a whole is culpable of changing its political representation at the whiff of a Chinook wind. . . or the drop of a hat. Ben Nighthorse Campbell would be an excellent example of this. Switching from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party while a sitting US Senator, he exemplifies the political climate this state has. . . kinda like the weather. "If you don't like the weather in Colorado, wait five minutes" is the well known saying. The politics can change that quickly, too, sometimes. There's a lot of "political pragmatism" and unaffiliated/independent voters out there, even in places such as El Paso County. . . so if you want to live in a politically stable city or county, but live in a politically ever changing, maverick state, Colorado's your state.

s/AV Native

Old 09-12-2006, 07:34 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,283 times
Denver has some very conservative suburbs as well. Highlands Ranch, Aurora and Parker are all considered conservative. The rest of the metro is fairly liberal.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Last election we elected two democrats to congress (the brothers Salazar) and have a republican governor.

We also have an election this November to decide on a new governor.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:44 PM

21 posts, read 86,953 times
You might want to try Wyoming, the most Republican/conservative state in the country. Although they continue to vote for democratic governors.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:22 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,405 times
Grand Junction, Colorado Springs, Cortez, Pueblo and the far eastern part of Colorado where all the tiny towns on the eastern plains are located, all tend to be conservative. Denver proper, Boulder, Durango and Nederland are more liberal.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:00 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Native View Post
Here's the "shorthand," if you will: Colorado Springs (El Paso County), Grand Junction/Montrose/Delta are your strong Republican leaning areas. Also the rural farming counties in the Eastern Plains, generally speaking.
Colorado Springs is an odd town. It has a very unusual mix of VERY conservative and VERY liberal. On the one hand, it is the home base of James Dobson's Focus on the Family ministries, a military base, and other such places that have a VERY conservative bent. On the other hand, there is a large gay community, a big New Age/Wiccan presence in certain parts of town, and other such people with a decidedly liberal view.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:10 AM

45 posts, read 348,591 times
Loveland is also home to Marilyn Musgrave. But, if you want a state where the vote counts. Colorado doesn't have the electorial college on their side.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:49 PM

24 posts, read 136,535 times
Colorado Springs is worth looking at for you.

Good Luck!

Old 09-13-2006, 04:48 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,619 times
Default political

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomnt View Post
You might want to try Wyoming, the most Republican/conservative state in the country. Although they continue to vote for democratic governors.
That's true. However, he sure is/was a better choice than any republicans that ran. And I'm a Republican. This election (Nov.) doesn't look any better! So far Gov Dave is way ahead in the polls even in Hunkins home town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado