Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jazzlover wrote:
.....the first ones fed to the wolves when Colorado finally settles back into economic reality. Of course, the whole country will be affected when that crash comes, but to assume that Colorado will escape unscathed is nonsensical.
You've always been one of my favorite posters on c-d. I enjoy reading what you have to say. Apparently what separates you from most of us posting on the Colorado forum is that you are utterly convinced that an economic crash is inevitable. I think the rest of us recognize the POSSIBILITY of such an event, but we also recognize that it is not written in stone. It may indeed come about as you envision, but then again it may not. I think you are over focused on NEGATIVITY in general. Personally, I don't think the crash that you assume will take place is going to ocurr. But, like everyone else ( including yourself! ) I'll have to wait and see what plays out.
Economic crash? We are already in it. A lot of historical events like the Great Depression are not clearly defined until they are over. Like in the Great Depression, there are times it looks OK and then it sinks back down again under more government fiddling.

I think my advice for any 19 year old is get an array of skills employers need, so you always have a job.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,990,879 times
jazzlover wrote:
I think my advice for any 19 year old is get an array of skills employers need, so you always have a job.
Good advice!

Old 01-10-2012, 12:44 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jazzlover wrote:
Good advice!
Actually, wanneroo wrote it, to give credit where it is due, but I wholeheartedly agree. Having marketable skills, personal integrity, and a solid work ethic are transportable skills that are of value anywhere. They also the one thing that can't be taken away by someone else.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 PM

236 posts, read 479,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Economic crash? We are already in it. A lot of historical events like the Great Depression are not clearly defined until they are over. Like in the Great Depression, there are times it looks OK and then it sinks back down again under more government fiddling.

A trade skill is a must imo, I don't know how I could have done it without mine. On the east coast it is becoming high demand for sure...

Old 01-10-2012, 01:01 PM

236 posts, read 479,158 times
my recommendation would be HVAC Technician, I myself am in auto mechanics 23+yrs

Old 01-10-2012, 01:24 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,773,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
People like you think that because Colorado has been economically healthy for most of the last several decades--though a lot of we long-timers remember how awful things were for nearly a decade in the 1980's--that it's going to stay economically robust going forward. That's really a dangerous assumption to make in this country's current economic environment.
Oh well. That's life.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:54 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
I say go for it!! But save some money first and try to come up with some sort of a plan. You'll need gas money, money for a despoit on an apartment, food money to get you by until you find a job. Do you know anyone here? At 19 I'm assuming you've had a job of some sort before. Do you have any experience waiting tables or working in a bar? Retail? Something that'll help you get a job of some kind? Friends I know who moved here without a job hit the street when they got here and applied at every place they could downtown until they found something.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
You need to lighten up a bit. He's looking for an adventure not a career path. People nowadays are settling down a lot later in life so not much harm in doing something like this at that age. Worth also looking at the place someone's coming from. He's not exacty giving up a whole lot getting away from upstate NY for awhile.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 AM

166 posts, read 432,615 times
You just spoke my mind, Cava! My husband and I quit jobs and travelled around alot when we were in our early 20's. We wanted to see the country outside of metropolitan Detroit..We weren't looking for careers, just a chance to see what was out there. No expensive vacations in our later years have ever compared to the fun we had. Do it when you're young and free of responsibilities. Plenty of time for that later... 19 OMG

Old 01-11-2012, 07:22 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,165,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcorning View Post
okay so here's the deal, i know this sounds incredibly irresponsible but i don't really care. I'm a college dropout who just wants to go out on an adventure and be able to get a job and an apartment somewhere far away from upstate new york where nobody knows me. many people have suggested Colorado, which sounds cool to me. i plan on leaving NY in august of this year and driving across the country to start my new life in Colorado. i have no idea how to go about doing this and i could really use some help of some kind. Thanks
Nice, I did close to the same thing when I was 18.
Dropped out of school and became a ski bum.
loved it, I wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again.

You can always go back to school, your only young once. I Had a job lined up before I moved.

Save up some cash, do some home work on the areas that interest you.

Do you ski or snowboard?
AS some ski areas will start to hire at the end of Aug to Setp.

I got a job as a lift opp me first year, the next year I was a groomer, them a crew foreman (grooming Dept), then a grooming /slope maintenance supervisor.
In the summer I worked on a lift installation crew for a major lift building CO.

Skills, a good work ethic is all you need.

I didn't know anyone, you'll make friends fast there not all as crotchety as some old times are.

If your not applying your self to school your wasting your money and time.
Have fun.

Last edited by snofarmer; 01-11-2012 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado