Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 PM

399 posts, read 819,876 times

Advertisements

Colorado is a land-locked state. If only we got more snow to keep us well above the drought levels. =\ Either way I'm glad I don't have to deal with mother nature's bad side (ocean extreme weather). Tornados, flash floods, blizzards, thunderstorms are an okay alternative I suppose.

I have breathing problems near high elevation but then my body gets used to it in about a minute or two and I'm good to go. Usually I get a headache and then I have to lay down but then everything gets better. I used to ski a lot as a child up at Vail, Aspen, Winterpark, Eldora, etc. so my body and blood is used to the lack of oxygen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,230,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The "catch?" There's no ocean. I'm not a huge fan of the vegetation. Some of it is beautiful, of course, but the high plains are rather barren. No place is perfect, but CO is pretty darn close IMO. It is not a "red state" if the previous poster was talking about politics. It is quite purple, lots of independents, and very exciting at election time.
Never quite understood the thing about the ocean...I mean, what could be more barren than the surface of the ocean?

But you are correct. There is a lot of "nothing" out there on the plains.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 AM

352 posts, read 800,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Never quite understood the thing about the ocean...I mean, what could be more barren than the surface of the ocean?

But you are correct. There is a lot of "nothing" out there on the plains.
What appears to be "nothing" to one person can be a gloriously uncluttered, expansive landscape of serenity and inspiration to another. Alpine environments can feel suffocating to some people. Others find absolute joy in the (usually) steady nature of the ocean. Some don't seem to mind if they never lay their eyes on the sky or horizon.

There's no way to know until you actually plant your feet in an environment for a while...

Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 AM

13,826 posts, read 30,061,974 times
-I don't feel that you would find a huge population of unentitled people anywhere along the Front Range. Everybody wants their piece of the pie.

-In my experience, religion appears to be a pretty no-no topic in schools, only that they all be respected. Christmas is an almost foreign topic in my kids' school here in Denver.

-I've lived in the Denver metro blob for just under 5 years, and crime-wise I have experienced:
-somebody trying to take the spare off my Jeep
-somebody littering political signs all over my yard
-an unlocked kids' bike getting stolen
-neighbors setting off illegal fireworks
-maybe even a few things I'm forgetting, but locking your doors and common sense is the norm IMO. Yes, there are gangs, and wannabe gangs.

-I don't know what part of upstate NY you are in (I'm semi-familiar with Syracuse), but I don't feel CO would be cheaper, I feel it'd be more expensive here in most areas. Although incomes are generally higher here, and property taxes are lower, all things considered, I think it'd be cheaper there.

-My oldest kid has asthma, and has attacks often enough for it to continue to be a pain in the butt for him (and us). No difference between here and California when it comes to frequency of attacks.

-The weather/climate is I like to say, "Mild, with lots of Wild". The only time it's ever the same for long stretches is when it's nice. Snow doesn't last too long, May is the rainy season, and T-storms cool off summer afternoons. It'd be a huge upgrade from anywhere back east IMO.

I don't know if Colorado Springs is the place for you, IMO it can be like the suburbs on steroids. If I were you, I'd look harder at the Fort Collins/Loveland area, it seems to be a better fit IMO.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:30 AM

3,140 posts, read 5,104,622 times
Default Your post is full of good information

I would love to know where you live. It sounds wonderful.

A note on property taxes if your looking at rural homes with low property taxes there may be costs that you aren't aware of. They may not be on city water or sewer. If not then you have an expense of keeping a well going, testing and redrilling if it runs dry. If on septic then you need to have it pumped and if you have a large family you may need it expanded. You likely will have to pay for trash service and someone to plow you out in the winter. You may or may not have access to high speed data access at a reasonable price. You may have to buy it through a satellite service (which can be temperamental in inclement weather). You will likely not be very close to a grocery store, emergency room or other amenities and may have high gas expenses. Your cell phones may not work at home. Your kids may not be close to their friends, athletic activities etc. Do you have AWD cars? If not you may have to replace yours. I'm not saying it can't be done or isn't a wonderful life I'm just saying that looking at the big picture is a good idea.

You may not be able to bring your mom. My dad has lung issues and cannot visit me here per his Drs. orders. An elderly neighbor had to move to sea level for her health issues. My friend had to move to sea level as her daughter was always sick here due to the altitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado