Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 6,101 times

Advertisements

Hey, there! I am a single, 20-year-old male looking to move from the Cleveland, Ohio area to the Denver, Colorado area within the next couple years. I have lived here in the Cleveland area for my entire life, it is okay here, but it is not the place for single, young people. There is really not a lot here and I am pretty unhappy, bored, and need out. I will be graduating from school next spring and was interested in looking for a job out in the Denver area. I hear it is quite beautiful. I love hiking, skiing, snowboarding, and just being outside in nature. So for those reasons, I think it might be the perfect spot for me. But, I also feel like I need more of a nightlife than Cleveland has to offer and I also need access to more activities/fun in the city. Please tell me your thoughts and experiences. I am liberal and non-religious as well, so hopefully some of you can recommend some areas that you think I would be fit for. I would also like to find a spot that's good for someone starting out and not too costly. Safety is a plus and any tips about the job market in the Denver area would be music appreciated. I will have my degree in public relations, advertising, and journalism next spring. So if anyone knows anything about the job market pertaining to the communications field and more specifically public relations, let me know. Anything is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dylan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink Between Denver, Boulder & Aspen

The first advice you will usually receive is find a job first, which given this economy may not be a bad idea. Additionally, that by reading previous posts in this forum you can receive many good answers to your questions—and indeed, if I might, excellent advice.

Beyond that, between Denver and Boulder you may wish to choose one or the other and skip much of that between. The reason being that everything between is basically suburbia. Perfectly nice towns, but not exactly where the action is if one is younger and interested in such things. Certain exceptions might be places such as Louisville, just east of Boulder, where many have located because they cannot afford Boulder's higher real estate costs. So I would expect Louisville has growing charms of its own in consequence. It also is a short drive into Boulder from there. Although due such proximity, not exactly cheap either.

Boulder would be a fine choice if you could swing it financially. Not only a beautiful location, with great access to the mountains, hiking and other recreation, but also a major college town with all associated activities and nightlife.

Others could better advise you on Denver. Although my understanding that certain neighborhoods would be chic, happening and where you might want to be.

For hanging out with the rich and famous in the mountains, Aspen would be a great choice. If that seems a bit over your budget, then we devolve back to what one can afford, and how. Such as where that job will be.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:31 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Dylan, Denver metro area is the big dog within a 500-mile radius. Find a job here, then come on out.

If you've a nest egg for 3-6 months of expenses you can try it without a job first, but you'll wait tables or work retail until a job shows up.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
I agree with Mike and the others who recommended getting the job thing squared away before making the move, but I would double Mikes nest egg suggestion from 3 - 6 months to 6 - 12 months if you make the move without a job in hand. The job market in general is rather sluggish, not sure about your field specifically, but my guess would be that it too is very sluggish. If you have a decent job in Cleveland I'd recommend holding on it to it until the job market improves. Best wishes whatever you do.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:58 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Dylan, Denver metro area is the big dog within a 500-mile radius. Find a job here, then come on out.

If you've a nest egg for 3-6 months of expenses you can try it without a job first, but you'll wait tables or work retail until a job shows up.
The guy's 20 and single. You're giving him advice more appropriate for a 40 something professional with a family. And why aren't retail and restaurant work considered real jobs? Oh I see, only poor immigrants do those.

Dude just go for it and don't listen to people at least twice your age who have forgotten what it's like to be young with no commitments but to oneself. If it doesn't work out you can hop a plane back.. You'll have plenty of time to molder away in a cube later as these older folks would like you to do.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 05-27-2012 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-27-2012, 10:00 AM

166 posts, read 432,644 times
Hey Dylan! I agree with Cava1990... do it when you're young and have a blast! Maybe find a friend who's up for an adventure and throw in together..rent is more manageable when you can share. Check out Fort Collins too, lots to do here for the 20's crowd and great biking town too. Best of luck! Wish I hadn't waited till I was 49 to make the move.. but I'm glad I got around to it

Old 06-09-2012, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,779 times
I live in Boulder, and have for all my life. Honestly, I think people are amazingly friendly. There's so many people exercising, even when it's below freezing, there are people running, biking, hiking. In Boulder, you see signs like "Organic front range fungus" and it's totally normal. In any parking lot, 45% of the cars are subarus. It's just in general an amazing place.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Dylan:

I get the impression you have never been here. Come out on a visit. Puruse the job offerings advertised in your field. THEN make a decision if you want to live here.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 AM

59 posts, read 119,123 times
You are at a great age to do this? I've read a few post's & they are right, visit first? I was in Arvada/Golden area for 4 yrs and grew to love it. Had to relocate back east for my career so I know why you want out! In Denver at your age I would stick around the DTC area, and good luck finding something affordable in Boulder. Down town Denver is pretty happening compared to Cleveland and don't give up on the surrounding area's they have some real good pocket's for night life!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 01:55 PM

13 posts, read 19,150 times
If rent is high, you can get a roommate; so really you can live anywhere you feel akin to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado