Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:15 PM

32 posts, read 147,930 times

Advertisements

After moving to Colorado 4 years ago and coming to terms with the bad job market and the lack of good paying jobs....I now understand what Colorado is all about. YOU GET TO SMELL THE ROSES! It is about camping, fishing, friends, hiking, boating, skiing, long walks along the river, the blue sky and thundering clouds, and of course the BRONCOS (except for last sundays game).

What makes Colorado special to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 01:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosobroke View Post
After moving to Colorado 4 years ago and coming to terms with the bad job market and the lack of good paying jobs.......

I like the good job market and high paying jobs.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:30 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
After moving to Colorado 4 years ago and coming to terms with the bad job market and the lack of good paying jobs....I now understand what Colorado is all about. YOU GET TO SMELL THE ROSES! It is about camping, fishing, friends, hiking, boating, skiing, long walks along the river, the blue sky and thundering clouds, and of course the BRONCOS (except for last sundays game).

What part of Colorado are you in?

Old 09-25-2007, 04:35 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,208 times
Quote:

Born, raised. And I could not agree more. That is why I have never had any desire to live elsewhere. Been lucky that we have never had to. But to be honest, there are some nuts here that do not understand nor do they want to. They want to change it and it is happening. What a shame. They know not what they do.

Last edited by Nadine; 09-25-2007 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: added thought

Old 09-25-2007, 06:07 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I like the good job market and high paying jobs.
Ditto. I'll add the affordable housing prices, and the view isn't bad either.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:36 AM

88 posts, read 437,375 times
Default you coloradans have it good

I hope to be one of you some day and shed the California stress and way of life. I wish I could smell the roses! I have a six figure paycheck own a $900 grand home in the best school district and my wife stays home with the kids and I would give that all up to live the Colorado lifestyle. With all said about my situation believe it or not I just get by out here and have to work 10 hr days to achieve average success. Dam! My family is in Parker Colorado and from what I have known over the years visiting is that you get a lot from Colorado for the cost of living. I did the math and I could cut my salary in half and live the same or better and loose all the stress, overcrowding, filth and rudeness that has become California. You guys are so lucky to be where you are.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost heaven View Post
I hope to be one of you some day and shed the California stress and way of life. I wish I could smell the roses! I have a six figure paycheck own a $900 grand home in the best school district and my wife stays home with the kids and I would give that all up to live the Colorado lifestyle. With all said about my situation believe it or not I just get by out here and have to work 10 hr days to achieve average success. Dam! My family is in Parker Colorado and from what I have known over the years visiting is that you get a lot from Colorado for the cost of living. I did the math and I could cut my salary in half and live the same or better and loose all the stress, overcrowding, filth and rudeness that has become California. You guys are so lucky to be where you are.
My situation was almost exactly like yours. Guess what? I moved to Colorado. Other than not being with my parents (who still live in the 1950s) in SoCal and not being able to swim outdoors 52 weeks a year, there is nothing I miss. I just have to drive a little father for good ethnic food. That is about it.
Below, the house I grew up in Canoga Park, CA. Looks nice. $18K in 1962. Right now $500K and people park on their lawns. Sick.

This beauty is $515K in Reseda, not too far from where I grew up. The blue tarp is included. Would you believe 1036 square feet?

What I don't miss about parts of California

Old 10-03-2007, 08:53 AM

385 posts, read 1,575,477 times
Hi Charles,
Why are houses so expensive in California? Is it a lack of housing?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
Hi Charles,
My guesses:
Demand: Jobs, weather, perceptions (real or fake) from TV & movies, ability to do anything anytime anywhere, diverse geography.

A theory:
Also, ten years ago, SoCal prices were higher than other cities like Denver but not triple. When the wacky mortgages got going, a lot of people from all over the country who otherwise couldn't afford California but wanted to live there now had a means to "afford" it. So the demand went up, supply stayed the same so the prices went up. (We payed $330K for a 2200 sqft house in an extremely nice section of Southern California in 1997. We sold for $920K last year.)

What I haven't seen since I moved to Colorado:

Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
Hi Charles,
In my former hometown, urban growth boundaries severely restricted housing starts at a time when tech companies were hiring like gang busters. But, what goes up must come down. Now, the tech companies are moving employees back to Texas, in part because overhead was killing profits. Housing in the northern outskirts of the Bay Area has dropped >15% since 2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: