Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 09:45 PM

27 posts, read 112,818 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed some info on the proposed mining by Powertech in Nunn. It seems that no good will come out of this besides lining a few peoples pockets. Maybe I am being naive, but how could the Great State of Colorado allow a Canadian based company purchase properties in this area with the sole intention of mining a toxic material. From what I have read, Uranium mining will most certainly contaminate an entire agriculcural area and a ground aquifer that runs along the entire Front Range. I have not heard of much opposition to this. Why is there not more of a public outcry from people in this region.

I would love to here from anyone that has more info on this.

Thanks, Jimbo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 PM

6 posts, read 17,499 times
Check out nunnglow.com There is a pretty loud outcry from all of us out here, and the opposition is fairly large. One of their strip mine areas is about 3/4 mile from my home.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:04 AM

423 posts, read 1,959,845 times
I agree that the public should be getting more involved at keeping these people out of our area. This is suppose to affect the water supply from Nunn into the Denver area and everyone is standing back not doing anything but hoping it will not happen. Of course the companies doing the mining are promising that it is perfectly safe. What a joke, as long as they get rich what do they care. I know there have been several community meetings in Nunn and I just heard of one in Fort Collins. It is time everyone gets involved before it is too late!!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:39 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
I agree that the public should be getting more involved at keeping these people out of our area. This is suppose to affect the water supply from Nunn into the Denver area and everyone is standing back not doing anything but hoping it will not happen. Of course the companies doing the mining are promising that it is perfectly safe. What a joke, as long as they get rich what do they care. I know there have been several community meetings in Nunn and I just heard of one in Fort Collins. It is time everyone gets involved before it is too late!!!!!!!
And it CAN be done......in Nevada we have successfully kept the DOE at bay with their Yucca Mtn Nuclear Waste dump for a number of years and it looks like it's going to a thing of the past.....but you HAVE to get involved.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:13 PM

52 posts, read 218,603 times
You do not want mining anywhere near populated areas or drinking water. Here in Nevada we are a mining state and we have lots of people with health issues like cancer. It comes from heavy metals, and toxic chemicals in the water and the air. It gets into the air anytime there is wind or dust storms. You dont want to breathe it.

I get upset with Nevada for allowing all Mining operations in the state but the state makes big money off the mining. Many unsuspecting CA newbies moved to Yearington (south of here) since land and homes were so cheap. What they did not know was that one of the biggest copper mines is right in the middle of town. Not only does it provide jobs but it offers illness to anyone living within 100 miles of that site. The wind blows it into the lungs where it is absorbed into the bloodstream. It is in the water too.
One study showed those in the area with heart disease, cancer, and more problems.

Mining should be out in the middle of nowhere, not around any place with people. And it still has ways of causing health issues.
Notheren Nevada along the I-80 corridor has many mines that spew toxins into the air. The wind blows this so far that it goes into Idaho and Utah. Those two states are fighting Nevada to stop this practice. Medically, the people in Western Utah and Southern Idaho are suffering from this mining. Studies show the mining caused the devestating illness in these people.

Our Federal and State governments need to stop these Mines from polluting. I say we all need to complain to our Senators.

Sharon

Old 11-17-2007, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,966 times
Default powertechexposed.com

For more information on the proposed project, please visit Exposing Powertech Uranium Corp's plans for mining near Nunn, Weld County, Colorado

Jim Woodward
webmaster
powertechexposed.com

Old 11-18-2007, 06:10 PM

18 posts, read 71,650 times
Mining has to go where the minerals are at- period! Why so many mines have been high up in the rockies and elsewhere to extract ores and minerals where they were located.

As in the case of Silverthorne and other western slope areas, the mines have been there for many decades and nothing was around to be of concern. BUT, the problem today, is so many wealthy and affluent baby boomer types from California and elsewhere decided they wanted to buy exclusive homes in gated communities built by greedy developers, with houses costing well into the $ Millions of dollars and placed those homes in the vicinity of the mining operations!

I needed a job to bring me back to Colorado as I used to live there years ago. And Phelps Dodge offerd me a job near their Silverthorne mining operation and a starting salary of $60,000.00 roughly (used to be top middle class income in America). But the first thing they asked me is did I know the area and what is my net worth, because the hosuing is few and the prices out of this world and unless I was financially healed enough, I could not live there today! I found a shack there is all starting at $1 million, so had to turn the job down and my reason to come back to Colorado.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 AM

106 posts, read 431,826 times
Thanks for the info, I live in Southern Weld county and don't recall hearing about it.

I'll be doing more research on it to see where I stand. Thanks again for bringing this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado