Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times

Advertisements

I'd like to find out what people consider to be the best all around vehicle for the backcountry. Maybe the Jeep Wrangler, Toyota Land Cruiser, or something else?

Please include year, make, model, and any vehicle modifications you consider essential.

Please do not include non-vehicle accessories (tools, first aid, survival gear, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
I've been driving 4WD vehicles in the Rocky Mountain backcountry longer than a lot of people have been alive (over four decades). Here is the long and short of it: There are relatively few current 4WD vehicles that are truly backcountry capable out of the box. Some can be made that way with a lot of aftermarket modification, but many can't even make the grade that way.

Of the current models, here are my favorites in the SUV category:

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon--about the most backcountry-capable 4WD made today, but has sketchy reliability, is very uncomfortable on the highway, and is small. The small size is an advantage on the trail, but carrying two people and some camping gear is about its limit. If you live right next to where you'll be 4-wheeling, it's a great choice--otherwise, getting there will exhaust you.

Toyota FJ Cruiser. Reliable and very backcountry-capable when equipped with an off-road package. Visibility sacrificed for styling.

Nissan Xterra. Like the FJ, backcountry-capable when equipped with an off-road package. Not as reliable as the FJ.

Toyota 4Runner and Nissan Pathfinder. Pretty good compromise highway/4WD SUV's when equipped with off-road packages. Toyota more reliable than Nissan.

Now, if your tastes run to pickups, I suggest the following:

For a smaller pickup, I recommend the Toyota Tacoma with the TRD off-road package. A very capable 4WD pickup so equipped.

For a full-size pickup, I recommend the 3/4 ton Ford 4WD pickup with the FX4 off-road package. This is probably the most backcountry-capable 4WD pickup made today. Solid front-axle suspension, excellent automatic transmission, and very comfortable for a big pickup. The Dodge pickup also features a solid front axle, but is not as reliable as the Ford and has a "tinnier' body. The Chevy/GMC full-size 4WD pickups are also pretty good, but feature an independent front suspension that I don't prefer for hard-core 4-wheeling. An IFS in any 4WD introduces more mechanical complexity and compromised running ground clearance. Unfortunately, only the Wrangler, and the 3/4 and 1-ton 4WD trucks from Ford and Dodge offer a solid-axle front suspension in the current crop of 4WD's available in the US. Know that the problem with full-size 4WD pickups is that there are a lot of Colorado trails simply too tight or narrow for them to successfully negotiate, especially when driven by a less than very experienced 4-wheeler.

In used vehicles that aren't 15 or more years old, I prefer the '97-'02 versions of the Jeep Cherokee (not the Grand Cherokee, its pretty abysmal reliability record scratches it from my list). The Cherokee was pretty reliable in its later years, has a solid front axle suspension, is pretty off-road capable out of the box and is easily modifiable into a lion of a 4WD for severe backcountry use. Same goes for the Wrangler in its models of about the last 10 years.

As to aftermarket equipment or optional equipment: skid plates, skid plates, skid plates. These are critical to protect undercarriage components, ESPECIALLY on vehicles equipped with independent front suspensions. On American 4WD's, particularly, they seem to be either optional or not factory-available, not standard. Tow hooks, tow hooks, tow hooks. That these aren't standard on every 4WD and AWD vehicle is ridiculous, but they often are not. If you 4-wheel at all, you will eventually need them. Limited slip or locking rear axles, I consider a necessity. I don't recommend locking or limited slip front axles as they can make a 4WD difficult to steer in real slick conditions (the vehicle tends to plow straight ahead even if the wheels are turned when the front axle locks). I consider an electric winch a nice insurance policy on a 4WD. It is one of those things that one will seldom need, but when it is needed, it is needed badly. Unfortunately, mounting one on the front of a 4WD, especially the ones with an independent front suspension, often means having to beef up the front suspension to carry the extra weight.

Which brings me to suspension lifts. Unfortunately, many current model 4WD's need them to be off-road capable. I don't recommend tall lifts for 4WD's used in Colorado 4-wheeling. They are unnecessary and often dangerous because they raise the vehicle's center-of-gravity to unacceptable levels--a real danger on off-camber trails that can cause rollovers. I recommend lifts of 4" or less--the amount of lift governed by what is necessary to achieve a minimum running ground clearance of around 8"-9.5" at the lowest point of the undercarriage.

One can have a long-winded discussion about powertrains. Suffice it to say that the vehicle needs sufficient low gearing in low-range to be able to crawl up and down very steep grades at less than 3-5 mph without clutch or transmission slipping. An engine with good low-end torque is also a necessity. This requirement scratches just about every AWD SUV off of the list for anything other than the mildest backcountry use. My preferred vehicle picks meet that requirement.

Finally, people need to recognize that a 4WD exacts a very stiff financial penalty on the owner in higher acquisition costs, higher maintenance costs, and lower fuel economy. Unless one has a need for a 4WD (in my case, I do, and have had for many years), other vehicle choices may make more sense.

Last edited by jazzlover; 06-20-2012 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 10:45 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I agree with jazz, I've driven just about all of those on his list. The Jeep was the most fun and with the top and doors off had the most visibility. The Toyota FJ Cruiser has zero visibility to the rear. I really liked the Tacoma. You can put all your camping stuff in the back. That may be my next purchase.

SKID PLATES SKID PLATE SKID PLATES!

I have a friend who has a 1998 Cherokee and takes it everywhere with no problems. I can't see spending $60,000 on anything new to take it off road.

I would recommend test driving them all. And I recommend Googling 4wd or off road forums. There's tons out there.

Now last summer I did take my Mustang down Last Dollar Road and on Owl Creek Pass, but that's another story.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I have a friend who has a 1998 Cherokee and takes it everywhere with no problems. I can't see spending $60,000 on anything new to take it off road.
I agree, Jim. The Cherokee is a "sleeper" in the used 4WD market. Finding a good used one is getting difficult, but, fortunately, a lot of them were sold into vehicle fleets, so there is a supply of them. Because of that, there is also a huge aftermarket supply chain for them (Quadratec is one that comes to mind) that can provide just about every piece, part, and aftermarket modification one can imagine for the Cherokee. Sadly, Jeep replaced the Cherokee with the Liberty, which, without a BUNCH of modification, is nowhere near as off-road-capable a 4WD--an example of 4WD's being "dummied down" for the yuppie market that wouldn't know a 4WD trail if they saw one.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,289 times
Jeep Wrangler or Grand Cherokee. Would put a nice bumper and a winch on as well. All of this depends on how serious of trails and back county you are talking about?

The Toyota FJ is a choice also, but personally I think the styling is hideous

Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
I'm with Jazz and Jim on the Jeep Cherokee. Mine is a '94, 5 speed, 4 liter engine I don't do a lot a 4 wheeling these days on it, but as far as reliability? How about 306,113 miles?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM

19 posts, read 65,394 times
I too would vote for the Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee). Easy to work on and parts still available. More comfortable on the highway than a Wrangler or CJ.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
My '88 Toyota Landcruiser has done great in AK backcountry 4X4 roads

Old 06-20-2012, 12:14 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon--about the most backcountry-capable 4WD made today, but has sketchy reliability, is very uncomfortable on the highway, and is small. The small size is an advantage on the trail, but carrying two people and some camping gear is about its limit. If you live right next to where you'll be 4-wheeling, it's a great choice--otherwise, getting there will exhaust you.

Not sure if I agree with that, the most common Wrangler sold today is the 4-door version which is much better for carrying people and gear. The interior and power train has been re-vamped lately and is much better than pre 2010-2011s. My '12 Unlimited Rubicon has less road noise on the highway than my 2010 Subaru Legacy I traded it in on. It's not a Cadillac, but I think it's plenty comfortable on the highway and for road trips

Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I'm saving for a CJ with a small diesel conversion. Good mileage and that thing will go anywhere. I rode in one years ago and it was awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado