Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 AM

57 posts, read 125,698 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
My wife and I are going to be in Glenwood Springs for a couple days next week and were wondering if you all had some suggestions for things to do! We are planning on going to the hot springs one of the days, but have another day and a half that we need to fill. I heard there was some good easy mountain biking (My wife doesn't like the crazy runs) and hiking in the area. I think technically the cabin we rented is in Basalt.

I have been looking online at things to do, but I love getting ideas from people that have been there and have first-hand knowledge of the sights/places they are recommending!

Thanks in advance,

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:35 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
I think there is a cave to explore there and a famous grave of some old cowboy but I can't remember who. There might be river rafting. I am sure a Glenwood Springs website will give you tons of ideas.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-13-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 12:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Staying in Basalt you are halfways to Aspen/Snowmass. Aspen and Snowmass are great places to visit in the summer with lots going on.

Snowmass is very beautiful and has around 40 miles of mountain bike trails, from easy to hard. There is also horseback riding, jeep tours, golf, fishing, etc. And there is tons of hiking in the Aspen/Snowmass/Independence Pass area.

http://www.snowmassvillage.com/play/activities.html

In Glenwood there is also some rafting on the Colorado River in Glenwood Canyon as well as a zip line they put in a few years ago.

From Glenwood to Aspen, there is plenty to do and I love being in that area in the summer. I used to get to go over there a lot in summer for work and always enjoyed myself.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
I was on FB last month & on the Colorado fan page, I found out there was a small amusement park in GS. It's called Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. And it appears to have some really cool rides.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Wow, thanks everyone, those are some great ideas! Makes me wish we could spend more time there! I will have to look into Snowmass for the mountain biking and check out Glenwood Caverns!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo;25154615... [B
Aspen/Snowmass/Independence Pass area
Do Not miss this ^^^^

Do the Hot Springs pool after dark (less crowded, MUCH cheaper, cooler temps, more enjoyable)

Old 07-13-2012, 02:16 PM

Has anyone done the Hanging Lake hike? How hard is it, some people say it is super intense and others say it is only moderate. We are in pretty good shape, work out/run 3-4 times a week. Also can you swim at Hanging Lake?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM

Nevermind on the swimming at Hanging Lake, I just read it is prohibited.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:32 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrpaul View Post
Has anyone done the Hanging Lake hike? How hard is it, some people say it is super intense and others say it is only moderate. We are in pretty good shape, work out/run 3-4 times a week. Also can you swim at Hanging Lake?
Nope never did it, but know plenty of people that have. I do believe there are some rocky sections, but I don't believe it's overly hard if you say you are in good shape. I don't know what altitude you live at, but many of these places you might hike are up there from 6000-9000 feet in elevation, which will be noticeable if you are coming from down below. Regardless of fitness level, every body has to compensate for the thinner air and it can take days to adjust completely. Take breaks if you get out of breath and bring water.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:55 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrpaul View Post
Yes. it's a very nice hike. I would not call it intense at all, though there are areas beyond the falls that you could be very challenging if you wanted to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado