Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 PM

7,785 posts, read 7,986,406 times

Advertisements

I remember that fire but I must be insane to remember it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:48 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
There is an old New Mexico Spanish saying that translates to this: Too much of a good thing is never a good thing. Truer words have never been spoken to describe Durango. It is a community wrecked by excess--too many people with too much money. Now, as to towns around Durango--most all of them have morphed into resort suburbia. That is, take suburban sprawl and plop it into the middle of formerly scenic farm and ranchland. Small wonder that is so popular with the out of state transplants--it's like they can take the suburban pile of crap they say that they are trying to escape and bring it with them. It's all there in places like Bayfield--the strip malls, gas stations, convenience stores, clap-trap houses--the whole nine yards, all of it completely dependent on the automobile. Just to make those transplants feel at home, there are the now way overcrowded two-lane highways that make for a time-consuming and dangerous commute. And that commute is necessary for most people who have to actually work in the local economy to make a living because few of them can afford to live right in Durango.

Nostalgic for the way it used to be in Durango? Damned right. Who wouldn't be nostalgic for a nice community before it turned into a pile of horse****?

By the way, I was through Durango twice in the last 4 days (I'm through there about every 2-3 weeks, year-round), so I don't speak of out of ignorance. There is some beautiful country in the very rural parts of La Plata County, but the spreading cancer of rural suburbia wrecks more of that every year.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
jazzlover wrote: By the way, I was through Durango twice in the last 4 days (I'm through there about every 2-3 weeks, year-round), so I don't speak of out of ignorance.

I don't think anyone accuses you of ignorance. Undoubtedly you know the ins and outs of Colorado. It's your insistence that things should be the way they were when you were growing up, which you have come to believe is how things were meant to be forever and ever amen. Any evolution from your childhood reference point is portrayed again and again to be the work of ignorant outsiders who want to change Colorado into the place they left behind.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Quote:
Any evolution from your childhood reference point is portrayed again and again to be the work of ignorant outsiders who want to change Colorado into the place they left behind.
Not any, just most of it. Not all "progress" is progress.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:56 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,717,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprich0000 View Post
I have finally made up my mind to move to the Durango area after visiting much of the Pacific Coastal, Northwest and Southwest. But like many have posted about Durango, housing can be pricey. Though there are some good deals now I want to rent until Im sure I'll be staying awhile.

Someone in the forum mentioned that most people who work in Durango live elsewhere. I would love to find an affordable but beautiful alternative to Durango if I can.
I would suggest Bayfield.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I would suggest Bayfield.
If you need to work in Durango I wouldn't lots of new development in grandview and loads of new traffic lights. you have all the people comming out of their subdivisions causing a jamb at Elmores corner that makes you wait sometimes 3 light cycles to go.Used to hang with ol Franklin Elmore,He taught me how to witch water wells.I have the gift and do it for free like He taught me.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
parfleche wrote: Used to hang with ol Franklin Elmore,He taught me how to witch water wells.I have the gift and do it for free like He taught me.

That's a great gift you have! When my Dad was building houses in rural PA in the 60s, 70s, and 80s he'd always bring in an Amish dowser find the best spot to drill the well. It never failed. Neighboring wells were drilled down 600 to 800 ft, but if you drilled where the Amish guy indicated, the well drillers would usually hit a good flow of water at 300 or 400 ft.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-16-2012 at 09:50 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 PM

I witched a lot of wells in the oxford,Ignacio area and hit em all. one failed and I had the driller get as close to the dry hole as possible and bingo water at 40 and 60' turns out his concrete around the casing collapsed on the first one,whew for me.A lawyer up the road drilled 11 dry holes before he decided to give me a try and bingo he has a well now. And I still never charge Franklin told me it is not right.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 PM

242 posts, read 463,309 times
Ward Colorado, the one time I was there, was quite accommodating, friendly people and the best location for a bar I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. Was glad I wasn't driving.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 PM

8,373 posts, read 8,589,909 times
LaPlata County gave in to sprawl a long time ago.

But Bayfield at barely more than 1 square mile in size and about 4% of the county's population is not much of the problem. At a density of about 1600 per square mile, Bayfield's density is on par with Broomfield County (the second densest county in the state) and only 20% less than the City of Broomfield.

Dense development is pretty uncommon in Colorado Counties outside a few. Less than 30% of Colorado counties are denser than LaPlata County. FWIW, only 8 states as a whole are less dense than La Plata County.

Durango's density increased by about 10% in the last 10 years. To take more of the population load, they probably would need to build more multistory, multi-family complexes. A tough sell but they probably need to approve more of them.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-16-2012 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado