Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times

Advertisements

May I gently ask what he is doing to research and plan his own move? After all, he is 24. (Maybe I was precocious in making my own moves years before that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:40 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
May I gently ask what he is doing to research and plan his own move? After all, he is 24. (Maybe I was precocious in making my own moves years before that).
I was gonna say the same thing, I was out of the house and across the country by myself, don't want this to come out wrong, but my parents didn't have to hold my hand, and nor would they have.

24 is plenty old enough to make adult decisions, and mistakes.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 AM

7 posts, read 6,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation bound View Post
My 24 year old son is thinking of moving out to Vail Co. He is in need of a change in his life from here in Florida. He lost his job here so there is nothing holding him back. He has a friend that just moved out there this week so he will only know him. He loves the outdoors but has Never been in snow. Is there any suggestions on 1, what clothing he will need for the winter, 2,Approx. how much in housing he will be paying. ( right now his friend is in a efficiency on the resort). 3, approx what kind of pay for a entry level position out there ( he needs to figure how to pay rent and other bills?), 4, how easy will it be to get a job? Should he try to get one while in Fl or bite the bullet and go out there and try? I would try to research on the threads here but frankly just don't have the time since he needs to move quick on this. thanks for any help on this subject.
I think this questions will be remind almost the same to many people who just moved. Thank you for asking, and I will be glad if anyone can share any recommendations.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I was gonna say the same thing, I was out of the house and across the country by myself, don't want this to come out wrong, but my parents didn't have to hold my hand, and nor would they have.

24 is plenty old enough to make adult decisions, and mistakes.
Independent kids? How old fashioned.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:20 AM

315 posts, read 1,006,248 times
He has had a very hard time growing up and I (his mom) is all he has. His father is worthless and has hardly been in his life at all. I do realize he should be completely on his own but that has not happened yet. He lives on his own but Mom is still helping him out ( and yes I know I'm an enabler (sorry about spelling) I have always been the laid back type and disapline is not my fortay) He is the one that brought up going out there and now I am trying to get him to go because I feel it would be good for him to get away from here and start fresh. I think it will also make him grow up due to no one out there to help him.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
That it will, but be prepared to send him money, because he WILL eventually call to borrow some from you lol.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:33 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times
I think Wanaroo gave you some excellent advice, as well as having experience working & living in a resort town. I would definitely suggest your son start applying for the seasonal jobs ASAP, as the resorts will start their hiring process for the winter season in the next month or so. I spent almost 5 years living in a mountain community of Colorado (not a resort community), and my husband worked at the neighboring resort of Breckenridge. He was a lift operator and received a free season ski pass. The pay wasn't the best, but they offered bonuses for people who stayed employed for the entire season (lots of kids come, work for a few months, get the free ski pass, and then leave before the season is over). They also had employee housing, which might be your son's best bet. Otherwise, unless he decides to live 20+ miles away (which is what we did), or chooses to live in a 1 or 2 bedroom condo with 5 other people, rent is difficult to make on most wages in the resort towns. While it can be hard, it can also be a great experience. So, if he can land a job in Vail or nearby, it might be a good thing for him. The advice to move to Denver or one of the other larger cities is good, but he may decide to do that after spending a season up in Vail anyhow. Have him apply far and wide and see what happens.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink In how met, and possibly loved

I largely concur with that said thus far.

Your son may love Colorado, learn and grow from the experience, but it will not always be easy. If difficult, it may help that he will largely be on his own; yet perhaps as well the option of the ultimate safety valve of being able to return home if all collapses. That last is debatable; but it also no easy thing to attempt this at the relatively advanced age of 24. By then most have already tried this and moved on, or the few who have found a way to make a life in the mountains.

It will be very different from Florida, in geography, in weather, society and expected norms as well.

For the snow, one tends to either love or hate it. There is probably no way of knowing in advance. Even those wishing for a heavy snowfall would likely prefer enjoying it from the warmth of the fireside in a coffee shop or home, perhaps in the new powder on a primo ski run—probably not stuck in gnarly traffic on I-70. There are adjustments, and certain realities, such as how truly cold it can be at times. Just scraping recalcitrant ice off the windshield on an early morning.

When it comes to driving, he should absolutely NOT drive on snow until having learned how to do so. The public roads are no place to learn this. For his own sake, and that of all others, do not. Driving on snow and at times ice involves entirely different skill sets, which must be mastered for safety. If situated with good access to public transportation, grocery, etc., one might never need to drive. Read some of the other threads on this forum for a fuller understanding of the vehicles, tires, required, as well as skills. Most never have formal training in this, and sometimes it shows in the accidents involved in. But a lot can be learned from no more than practicing in safe open areas, such as a snow packed and empty parking lot. Having others with said experience who might advise would also help—particularly if they know anything. But one good rule in snow, just to slow down (letting all other idiots fly past).

Some of this may seem intimidating, but only the truth. Only part of that as well, and never an easy thing to be on one's own far from loved one's and that known. Yet in tempering such feelings the adventure of that attempted. Most, even in Colorado, will never venture such a thing, and remain where all is more sure and settled. That might be viewed as the prudent and wise approach, and in many respects is. But for those that have truly tasted the mountains and life within, the experience surely remaining with them for a lifetime, even if the time there spent relatively short. Viewed in this light, such an undertaking can be a wonderful thing.

In my experience, the best approach may well be in jumping into the deep end without much hesitation. Know in advance that realities such as housing will not often be easy, and that unexpected challenges will emerge. Yet in such things as hiring, luck can favor those showing up in person ready and willing. August is not too soon to begin making inquiries, and certainly not September. One should have the money and patience, as positions gained may not fully begin until the snow flies, and possibly not until November.

If with the love of the mountains, or that gained in time, then Colorado can be a wonderful place. In seeking something new, a fresh start of sorts, then this will be as different as can be. Whether in love and as lasting potential only time can tell. But it will be a test. And perhaps one well met, and ever loved.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:40 AM

315 posts, read 1,006,248 times
Such great information coming in this thread. One of the things mentioned is him driving. Well he will be going out there without a car, so I'm not concerned with him driving. He may use his friends car but I doubt it. He has already started putting applications in and if he gets any respone, the one question will be when can I start. the sooner the bettter since he is not working now. As of right now the plan is to work the season at a resort and then if he likes it out there, his friend and he will look for work in Boulder. I really appreciate all of the responses and lenghthy ones at that. If he does head out there I will update everyone on what happens. Thank you again.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:27 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
Vail Mountain will not open for the winter season until November 16th. Many of the jobs listed now are for the winter season so he may have to wait a while unless he manages a job that needs someone asap. If he does find one now, he should consider that October and early November are quiet and he may have his hours cut in accordance with business levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado