Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe View Post
.... The Springs is nice, but the world doesn't revolve around the Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Yes it does.
I was gonna say that, but I'll leave over-the-top boosterism to the poster from Pueblo.

I'll just stay my usual sweet, modest self..... (C'mon, there's no need to gag....)
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 01:20 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Weather & usual caveats

The usual cautions about employment apply, so one should seriously consider that (and other applicable threads on this forum discussing it).

But I'll stick with weather and location. The weather in Colorado is distinctly different from lower elevations more often humid. The air is dry with little humidity, which informs all else and how one will feel. Seattle, WA, for instance, doesn't usually get all that cold in winter, yet 40º there can feel more cold and bone chilling than the same temperature in Denver. Part of that has to do with the usual lack of sun—something Colorado rarely suffers for very long—but also just due the high humidity near the ocean (and Puget Sound in that case). So no lie that low temps that might keep you inside elsewhere can be enjoyed here in the sun, feeling fairly comfortable.

Wind is another matter, with anyone surely understanding how that can affect the comfort of a day outside. Some areas of Colorado are more naturally windy than others, so to the extent this a concern one might fully investigate proposed locations. As example, the beautiful local of Estes Park is known to often experience winds in winter. Although one area of town can be distinctly different from another, as well as areas outside of town which can suffer this to far less degree.

Weather is changeable, particularly in the mountains. There can be a downpour on your head one minute, and all quickly clearing to blue sky the next. Perhaps back to rain five minutes later (and this from a cloud off somewhere to the side, with blue sky above one's head). So on any given day one can learn to expect the unexpected—as normal. But the trend from season to season, year to year, is simple enough: a semi-arid place of overall high elevations, with temperamental but often comfortable weather. The most temperate weather is surely along the Front Range (where most of the population resides); in summer it will be hot (if pleasant in any shade); there are relatively few days in winter where most feel like staying inside; spring and particularly autumn can be nice, if ever shifting and soon gone.

In short, Colorado weather would not be for everyone, but most residing here tend to like it, many wanting nothing else.

Trinidad, CO does have a hospital, if a small one in a small town. Similarly, Walsenburg, CO has a hospital serving as regional healthcare; as with Trinidad, neither serving communities exactly economic dynamos. Neither is in the mountains.

The picture would be quite different in the resort town of Frisco, CO, which has a hospital as well—and very much is in the mountains. One might have an easier time securing a position in Trinidad, with surely less expensive real estate, but location informs all else.

So the moral in this to consider—aside from what one can secure by way of employment—also where one's Colorado dream best met. If in the mountains, then where you should probably aim, if realizing the many practical challenges involved (fiscal not least of all). Most reside at lower elevations (relatively) in such as the Front Range because, all pretense and idle dreams aside, where most comfortable. The employment most easily secured, the home afforded, expected services, are all there. So even if not desiring downtown Denver, on offer are perfectly comfortable surrounding suburbs where most live.

As usual, the personal visit best informs dreams to come (if dispelling present ill-informed). Do visit the mountains, and consider. Then get real. Nasty traffic and host of other unwanted aspects of the 21st century can be found. That can be discovered whether avoiding idiots on a snow packed commute in Denver, or perhaps fighting them on I-70 towards a weekend of skiing. Or if having faced all the challenges to be located near the slopes, then perhaps digging the car out again on some -10º morning. Depends. No panaceas guaranteed.

Yet in some places, in some special moments, you might swear God vacuumed up much of his handiwork from elsewhere and deposited all the beauty right at your feet.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I was gonna say that, but I'll leave over-the-top boosterism to the poster from Pueblo.

I'll just stay my usual sweet, modest self..... (C'mon, there's no need to gag....)
My world does, anyway lol. I do love other parts of Colorado, but the Springs is the only place I could ever live permanently.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 AM

79 posts, read 288,161 times
or look at what we call 'the Western Slope" meaning the west side of the state (west of the continental divide). Grand Junction has Colorado Mesa University with a nursing program and two hospitals. 65 miles south Montrose has a satellite campus of CMU with nursing classes and a new teaching lab is under construction. There is one major (and good) hospital: Montrose Memorial Hospital. Lots of access to the activities you mentioned without all the crowds.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I agree with ShellKing.....take a look at the western slope. Grand Junction is the largest population center for more than 200 miles in any direction. Denver is the big city to the east and Salt Lake City is the big city to the west. If you can handle the relative isolation from large population centers, it could work for you. But keep in mind that the local economy has been is a deeeeeeeeep recession since 2007 and shows only very modest signs that it will ever change.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 10,166 times
Tough question. I think the fundamental question is, do you want to be in an urban area or a rural area. If you want to stay urban (though not urban like Boston!) then the front range corridor is your best bet. Grand Junction is a smaller city of about 60K and that's the only other urbanish option. If on the other hand you like rural, especially with health care careers, there could be options all over the state.

As far as specifics you are looking for, there are CSAs all over the state, but the selection is much better along the front range. More CSA info here: Colorado Farm Shares and CSAs Other than the eastern plains, there are great outdoor activities all over the state. It will always be easier to eat more organic food in the front range.

As far as cities on the front range, again, the flavor is different between cities as well as within them (I'm in Boulder, and even in this town of 100K there are a ton of neighborhoods with different 'feels').

Debbie has some good points. This site (not affiliated, never used, just found on google) might give you some ideas of health care jobs: Colorado Healthcare Jobs

Maybe you can share a bit more about your wants/needs to help folks give you better suggestions?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:55 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
No, I'm not a realtor, or developer, or builder, or banker, or property manager, or in the business in any way. I like this city and the many excellent things it offers at prices vastly more affordable than the DC region that we're from, not to mention most other coastal regions.
I think the term "civic booster" would apply.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:

About 8-10 years ago I was listening to a couple of DJs on the morning radio, and they had created a list about how to tell if a person is from Denver. The one that I thought was really funny was, "There isn't enough money in the world to make you move to Colorado Springs."

I guess that explains how the majority of people in Denver feel.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellKing View Post
or look at what we call 'the Western Slope" meaning the west side of the state (west of the continental divide). Grand Junction has Colorado Mesa University with a nursing program and two hospitals. 65 miles south Montrose has a satellite campus of CMU with nursing classes and a new teaching lab is under construction. There is one major (and good) hospital: Montrose Memorial Hospital. Lots of access to the activities you mentioned without all the crowds.
I am originally from the Boston area and have lived out west for over 15 years now. First northern WY, then I moved to Grand Junction, CO ten years ago. I like the climate here. High desert, dry. Not the damp cold of New England. The winters the valley are generally mild with little snow. We hike and bike ride all winter. The summer is not too hot, usually not over 100F. Plenty of great wide open spaces without the crowds. This is a great city to get around by bike too. We live near the college and have a grocery store and other businesses within walking distance.

I did go to the college here, graduating in 2009. It was Mesa State College then. It's a decent affordable college. I have heard that the nursing program is quite good and competitive. Not sure if you are non-traditional students. I was a non-trad (one of many, many at this school) and had no problem fitting in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado