Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 PM

307 posts, read 980,688 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I live in Fort Collins and I am considering relocating somewhere more rural and agriculture-based in this state... namely a place with a dominant cowboy lifestyle.

I thought Northern Colorado would be that way when I moved here (and was years ago I am told), but is turning out to be ever more urban in life, work and culture. I really need some place that identifies with the cowboy/traditional western lifestyle. Fort Collins is a wonderful city with tremendous assets indeed, however it simply does not fit, to the degree, the life that we want.

I desire to live and work in the cowboy/western/ag/ranching/ lifestyle and environment. I grew up in an agriculture-based area and have had some experience with horses and livestock. I want to learn more and live where those traditions, lifestyles, and values are an integral part of life.

I have looked up and down the Front Range and though some of these areas partly embrace that lifestyle, I have not seen anything that is as purist as I desire.

I am financially sustained at this time and have the ability to relocate, then look for work later. I have considered moving out of state to Wyoming, Montana and Idaho several times but have not been able to. My family likes it here as do I and would like to find a place more suitable. We prefer close proximity to the Rockies and would gladly live in them if there was the right community for my needs. Meaning, Eastern Colorado may suite this lifestyle, but if there were places in or near the Rockies (North, South, East or West) that would be preferable.

Thanks for your time. Feel free to ask questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,625 times
Eastern plains you are going to get more farms like the mid-west, while I actually do not mind that lifestyle, it sounds more like you need to try the western slope, up around Meeker, Rangely, and Craig, the further west you get the cheaper it gets and the more desolate. Also some real large ranches up around that area that seem to be reasonable about hiring ranch hands. You can also try down around durango, I have some cousins from down there, and they are all heavily involved in rodeos and ranching.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times
I agree with looking at the Western Slope. In addition to the suggestions above, you also might want to consider Rifle, Cedaredge, Montrose, and Delta. I lived in Grand Junction for almost 7 years and the cowboy culture was pretty dominant once you got outside the "big" city (Grand Junction) and into the smaller towns.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times
The two cities that come to mind are Greeley and Pueblo. Both are big in agriculture but Pueblo is, also, big in manufacturing. As far as Pueblo. We are home to the state fair, Professional Bull Riders headquarters and many festivals celebrating farming including the chili festival, wild wild west fest etc. East of Pueblo are farms and many of them are family owned. I would defiantly consider this area of the state if that is what you are looking for as Pueblo has a nice mix of urbanity and ruralness.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:48 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Hi folks. I live in Fort Collins and I am considering relocating somewhere more rural and agriculture-based in this state... namely a place with a dominant cowboy lifestyle.
My aunt and her husband do some ranching near Trinidad. They moved there several years ago from the Golden area. The factors they chose Trinidad probably have to do with cost and availability of open land.

Where I used to live in Grand Junction (and the surrounding Western Slope) has a very predominant cowboy/ranching culture. The entire area fits this, but one of the places I liked a lot was Collbran. My coworker lived there in an area surrounded by ranchland, agriculture, and cattle. It's a mountainous region, so it's quite pretty. To hunt deer my coworker literally sat on his front porch with his rifle.

Given your original post, I'd say you'd probably enjoy either of those two areas.

Quote:
I am financially sustained at this time and have the ability to relocate, then look for work later. I have considered moving out of state to Wyoming, Montana and Idaho several times but have not been able to. My family likes it here as do I and would like to find a place more suitable. We prefer close proximity to the Rockies and would gladly live in them if there was the right community for my needs. Meaning, Eastern Colorado may suite this lifestyle, but if there were places in or near the Rockies (North, South, East or West) that would be preferable.
Based on the above paragraph, I'd make the strong suggestion you look at Collbran, moreso than Trinidad.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:52 PM

jwiley and delta07: Thanks for the info on the Western Slope. I will do some research on that. I have heard of the Craig area mentioned before in regards to ranch lifestyle as well as Durango. It seems Durango, being a tourist community may have a lack of authenticity? I am just not sure. It seems in my experience that areas that focus on tourist attractions, and being so overrun with such, that they lack the authentic lifestyle that many like myself are looking for. That may not be the case with Durango. I cannot say as I have never been there, but just wondering.

I did pass through Grand Junction a few months back but was in a hurry that I was unable to look around. Delta, Cedaredge, and Montrose may be good. I have not been to those palces either. I am just not sure as to whether there are ranching opportunities there. I suppose I need to find an online source that lists that sort of thing? I don't think I will be able to visit anytime soon. If any of you have any resources you can point me to, that would be beneficial.

Josseppie: I have considered the Greeley area but it is just not for us. Pueblo, on the other hand might work. I have been there twice. I lived in the Springs area briefly. Last year we visited Canon City, but were not impressed with it for what we were looking for. Woodland Park pops into my mind and those surrounding counties. I visited up there several times and it seemed to have a ranching community? At least in the surrounding counties. But I am not sure how prevelant it is there.

Please continue with suggestions. I am all ears. Thanks folks.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
My aunt and her husband do some ranching near Trinidad. They moved there several years ago from the Golden area. The factors they chose Trinidad probably have to do with cost and availability of open land.

Where I used to live in Grand Junction (and the surrounding Western Slope) has a very predominant cowboy/ranching culture. The entire area fits this, but one of the places I liked a lot was Collbran. My coworker lived there in an area surrounded by ranchland, agriculture, and cattle. It's a mountainous region, so it's quite pretty. To hunt deer my coworker literally sat on his front porch with his rifle.

Given your original post, I'd say you'd probably enjoy either of those two areas.

Based on the above paragraph, I'd make the strong suggestion you look at Collbran, moreso than Trinidad.
Thanks a bunch! I will look into Collbran. I looked at it on Google Maps and it was only 40 miles from Grand Junction. That is nice as there are some medical needs that have to be attended to now and then. I probably forgot to mention that we need to be within proximity to a larger city like Grand Junction for aforementioned needs. I am unsure as to whether Durango has modern medical facilities. I will have to look that up. Obviously, living somewhere along the Front Range, this is not an issue. We do want to live rurally, that is for sure. We would like to be within 50 - 100 miles of decent medical care however. But this is flexible.

Collbran looks like a pretty area too. Thats always a big plus. I like to live in scenic areas. I do alot of outdoors activities like camping, biking and fly fishing....when there is time of course.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:24 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post

Excellent suggestion 80skeys! For the life of me, I couldn't remember the name of that little town. That area always pops in my mind when I think of ranching on the Western Slope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Thanks a bunch! I will look into Collbran. I looked at it on Google Maps and it was only 40 miles from Grand Junction. That is nice as there are some medical needs that have to be attended to now and then. I probably forgot to mention that we need to be within proximity to a larger city like Grand Junction for aforementioned needs. I am unsure as to whether Durango has modern medical facilities. I will have to look that up. Obviously, living somewhere along the Front Range, this is not an issue. We do want to live rurally, that is for sure. We would like to be within 50 - 100 miles of decent medical care however. But this is flexible.

Collbran looks like a pretty area too. Thats always a big plus. I like to live in scenic areas. I do alot of outdoors activities like camping, biking and fly fishing....when there is time of course.
Grand Junction obviously is the largest city/area on the Western Slope. The medical facilities there are highly regarded. My husband was a nurse at all the hospitals and would routinely have patients coming in from Craig who needed a hospital facility. Craig is 151 miles from GJ, so something to consider.

Montrose has a small hospital, but many patients still have to travel to GJ if they need more intensive medical care. It's about 60 miles from GJ.

Durango also has a hospital and I believe they have quite a bit of in house stuff, but my husband would still see major traumas from that area and even a little further south into NM. It's very rural in this part of the state.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:26 PM

352 posts, read 797,362 times
Default The Eastern Plains Will Always Be Here

Well, countryway, if for whatever reason the mountains and western slope don't come together for you, the southeastern plains will always be here. Las Animas, Bent, Otero Counties; Branson (the place I know the most about), Kim (with its beautiful new equine facility), La Junta, Rocky Ford, Las Animas, etc.

Sure it's dry and hot and windy and hardly ever green...

...but it's where rural and ranching and roping are still a way of life every day.

Branson Cattle.jpg

Branson Branding.jpg

Branson SaddleRock.jpg

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...ch-town-w.html
Attached Thumbnails
Is There a Predominant Cowboy Culture in Colorado? If so, where? (Ranching, Equine, Western etc.)-branson-cattle.jpg   Is There a Predominant Cowboy Culture in Colorado? If so, where? (Ranching, Equine, Western etc.)-branson-branding.jpg   Is There a Predominant Cowboy Culture in Colorado? If so, where? (Ranching, Equine, Western etc.)-branson-saddlerock.jpg  

Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
If you really want a cowboy culture, and lifestyle, forget Eastern Slope of the Rockies. That side, is farming and not the old western cowboy life except near Pueblo and the San Luis Valley, or near Ft Morgan, etc.

Western Colorado has several areas that are cattle and western culture. However Grand Junction is about as western as Fort Collins, as they are both more citified. Grapes and wine, along with orchards are the crops there not cattle.

What you need to do, is take a few days, and explore over on the Western side of the Rockies at places like Craig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado