Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 11:01 AM

8 posts, read 7,146 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are planning a family vacation to Breckenridge (driving from Austin) in early January. Just a few questions as this will be our first time to Colorado AND our first time to ski!

- How many days should we block out for skiing?

- Is VRBO the best way to go for lodging? We'll have 8 people including my 9 year old twin boys. If we stay at a ski resort do they include discounts on passes?

- Any other recommendations on places to stay, or ski (considering we are beginners)?

Also, we'd like to go tubing and maybe ATV riding, horseback riding, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have for us! We are so excited to visit beautiful Colorado. Hoping for an unforgettable experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 11:15 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I'd be surprised if there's any horseback riding available in January. Most operators and ranches are basically "the season," which is roughly Memorial Day to Labor Day, give or take a bit of time around those holidays.

What about the snow for driving? Has OP made this drive before?

Old 08-03-2015, 11:22 AM

Ok good to know about the horseback riding, thank you!

We are first timers for snow driving as well. From what I've read we'll need to rent an AWD or 4WD vehicle and have chains for the tires?

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Pls, don't judge all Coloradans by the people you meet in Breck.
I have been there many times, a friend's son works there...many, not all, people there
are uppity or pretentious.
4WD is good, not necessary, but no chains unless you're going up and down some very snowy passes.
Lots of residents there have front wheel...but most, 4WD.

If you're renting there will be plenty of Subaru Outbacks to rent.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:30 AM

I will keep that in mind, thanks. :-)

Old 08-07-2015, 01:23 PM

670 posts, read 1,173,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Pls, don't judge all Coloradans by the people you meet in Breck.
I have been there many times, a friend's son works there...many, not all, people there
are uppity or pretentious.
The irony of that statement is that the "uppity or pretentious" people are not the locals - they are the tourists. Breck is very, very popular with Texans. I am not saying that they're all like that but some of the loudmouthed men smoking cigars definitely had a certain regional accent.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:18 PM

998 posts, read 1,238,485 times
In addition to searching city data, you might also post your question and search the forum for tripadvisor.com ... it's more of a vacation / travel website

Old 08-09-2015, 10:59 AM

213 posts, read 301,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasGirl View Post
Hello,

We are planning a family vacation to Breckenridge (driving from Austin) in early January. Just a few questions as this will be our first time to Colorado AND our first time to ski!

- How many days should we block out for skiing?

- Is VRBO the best way to go for lodging? We'll have 8 people including my 9 year old twin boys. If we stay at a ski resort do they include discounts on passes?

- Any other recommendations on places to stay, or ski (considering we are beginners)?

Also, we'd like to go tubing and maybe ATV riding, horseback riding, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have for us! We are so excited to visit beautiful Colorado. Hoping for an unforgettable experience!
3 days of skiing at least I'd say... Do ski school the first day and then 2 days on your own. Beaver run is ski in ski out with hot tubs, indoor pool, ski rentals, arcade, indoor mini golf, shuttles to main street etc, or you could try and rent a house, but then getting to and from the slopes may be more of an ordeal. Maybe look at a snowmobile tour. Oh and there's no discounts on passes. They are super expensive at Breckinridge. Copper mountain right around the corner offers some discounts and is cheaper in general, with an equally if not more impressive mountain experience IMO. good luck. Pm me if u need more deets

Old 08-09-2015, 01:13 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
Don't forget the altitude in Breck! You might think about doing some of the easier activities on your first day to give yourselves a chance to acclimate to the affects of high altitude. Drink plenty of water!

Old 08-10-2015, 11:41 AM

52 posts, read 131,476 times
Don't think you'll be doing ATV riding or horseback riding at that time of year in Breck. There is 2-4 feet of perpetual snow on the ground that doesn't go anywhere from mid November to the beginning of May, so everything up here is snowsports related during January. Everything from skiing/snowboarding, to snowtubing, to snowmobiling, to dog sled racing, everything that is going on in Summit County (where Breckenridge is located) has to do with snow in January. You have to drop below 7000 feet to get below the snow line, and there might be something in South Park in Park County along those lines, but to get there from Breckenridge you have to go over an 11,000 foot mountain pass (Hoosier Pass) and it is a very rural and remote county. All of Summit County is above 8000 feet in elevation, even on the valley floors. Whatever time of year you come to Breckenridge, you will have fun, but you just have to have the right expectations set for the time of year that you are coming. I live and work in the Breckenridge area, so take it for what its worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado