Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 05:03 PM

108 posts, read 412,864 times

Advertisements

I started the Colorado Vacation thread below...going to Colorado in summer 2008. I am looking for recommendations for good rafting tours..beginner/novice. Don't want to have a heart attack.
Thanks
pmjinnh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 05:24 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,768 times
I've heard the rafting on Clear Creek to be good for beginners/novices. Several CC rafting outfits are based out of Idaho Springs. I've never done CC though.

I've rafted on the Arkansas out of Buena Vista. Lot of outfits in Buena Vista for all skill levels (I believe the beginner section is Brown's Canyon?).

Can't really help you with specific companies unfortunately.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
My DD worked at a summer camp in the mtns that took kids 12 and older rafting on the Arkansas. I would say it works for beginners.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:17 PM

8 posts, read 23,738 times
Look in to Noah's Ark. I think it's on the Arkansas. I've been maybe 4 times and been happy each time!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,092 times
Try the poudre river in Fort Collins. My wife and I took the trip last year for the first time and it was very tame. It is pretty descent price wise too. There is a trip where you stop half way down the river for lunch at the mishawaka (restaurant). There are two rafting companies that are allowed on the river. They are both located at Hwy 287/shields in fort collins.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:40 PM

29 posts, read 111,567 times
Smile White Water Rafting! *QUESTION!*

Okay so we went to Colorado a few weeks ago to see my boyfriends Family and to go Skiing!! They have now invited us back up for the week of 4th of July and we want to go white water rafting. They live in the Mountains 45 mins from Canon City, so I think the Arkansas River is the closest to them? Does anyone know the closest place to white water raft to canon city is? When we drove to Monarch ski resort we drove right by the River and there were a ton of places but didn't get any names!! I dont' want to go to any place off the net I want one that the locals go to or one that someone can recommend. Also do you think the intermediate will be okay for us to try out the first time? We're both very outgoing, age 23,30...but not in tip top shape.. Any feed back on this would be great!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
You should do a search on this topic. I know I've posted about 3 times on this. It would be cool if this thread could get merged into at least 1 or 2 threads on this.

July 4th is typically a great time to raft. The water is usually high, but not too high as they control the cu f/m of water in part-to accomodate the use of river flow for recreation.

I'd be looking at rafting Browns Canyon, but make sure they run through Sidel's Suck Hole, as it's typically a class 4 or 5 rapid.

If you want to run with the locals, it would be great if you could find somebody who owns their own raft like I did. My friends from Denver only Kayak now.

There may be some commercial outfits who do a good job, but they didn't run the rapids as aggressively as we did. If you feel like you're daring, you'll want to get on a raft where you have 8 people paddling. If you're not feeling so daring, get on an oar-boat where the guide does all the work and the two people out front can paddle too, but they are just ornaments who really don't need to paddle, but are along for the ride. For me, the main goal was to get splashed and to stay in the raft. The latter, I wasn't so good at. I was what you'd call a swimmer. My first swim was 2.5 minutes. It was nice. Cooled me off nicely. The last time I rafted, I swam for about 10 minutes and was lucky I didn't drown. We flipped on the Eagle River in Down-Shoots Rapid. I swam for about 2 miles through Class-4 rapids. Even the Yakers were impressed. I sprained my ankle in that swim, but didn't pay much attention to that as I spent most of the journey under water wondering when I'd get my next breath.

You can raft the Royal Gorge, but I'd do Brown's Canyon through Zoom Flume, Widow Maker, the Pink Panther Rock, etc., and make sure they go through Sidels-on Saturday. Then maybe do The Numbers or the Gorge on Sunday. If the water level is too high, you're so far above the rocks that it's not technical and the splashies are fewer, IMO.

Enjoy!

Sidel's before shot:

Sidel's after shot:

Old 04-28-2008, 02:20 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,433 times
McGowdog Those photos are great! If I had a scanner I would scan the one I have from the late 80s. Believe it or not, they didn't require helmets back then!

As for the OP, there are a lot of rafting companies around Cañon. The time I went we went out of Buena Vista which is much higher up on the Arkansas. It was a blast and I would do it again if I had the cash.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:27 PM

Awesome pics...I still don't see how you stay on the raft with so much water getting in!! Can't wait to find out Thank you!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:28 PM

There is a Brown's Canyon Super Deluxe Full Day-Colorado Rafting..$89 what a deal!! with a steak dinner! We're so there...Thank you McGowdog!

Last edited by nelsconfused; 04-28-2008 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado