Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 12:37 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,592,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
That's why I mentioned it.

But the Safeway in Steamboat was no different than the one in Evergreen. I live in a town much smaller than Evergreen now, and farther from a city. But the food at the local grocery is miles ahead of anywhere I have been in CO.

I am not a foodie or a locavore, just an observation.
Found your problem.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:15 PM

427 posts, read 403,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Found your problem.
Sh!tty Markup was no better.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
Sh!tty Markup was no better.
I would not have recommended a Kroger chain either.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:25 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,034,411 times
Quote:
Having lived in Missouri, Google tornado, ice storm, floods and ticks. You’ll want to brush up on these before you move.
Definitely factors to consider, but the tornado risk is really almost everywhere east of the Rockies, but are worst on the high plains. Same with floods, they happen everywhere though it appears the southwest and south TX are actually the worst. Concerning bugs, they are anywhere there's moisture (out and about this year in CO), but Missouri and the Ozarks seem to be in a bit of a sweet spot because there's not a lot of standing water and swamps like there is in MN and WI and it freezes enough to keep out a lot of the snakes and other critters common in the deep south. These states don't seem to have as big of a tick or mosquito problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Mormonism may play a bit of a role, but SLC is really underwhelming for its size. At 2.5 million, the CSA is only about a million people smaller than Denver, but it feels even smaller than that. SLC is the biggest city in Utah. At around 200k it's less than 1/3 the size of Denver and is about 33% smaller than Aurora. Downtown is small, and compared to Denver, the nightlife and big city amenities absolutely suck. It's still very much a cowtown (and it's so white it makes Denver look diverse).

Utah is also less mountainous than Colorado. Utah has around 100 peaks above 12,000 feet. Colorado has around 1,300. The only range with peaks above 13,000 are the Uintas and they're 90+ minutes from Salt Lake.

The Wasatch Front towers above I-15, but at just under 12,000' it's not much higher than the Rampart Range. They look bigger because SLC is only around 4,000'. The lowest point in the entire state of Colorado is 3300'.

The skiing aspect isn't really as clear-cut. Utah gets more snow and has more areas closer to SLC, but in terms of skier visits, Colorado has 4 of the top 5 and 6 of the top 10 resorts. Utah has zero in the top 10.

FWIW, IMNSHO Utah is more renown for its canyons and deserts than its mountains.

Idaho and Wyoming are even more rural and white bread than the Front Range.

Boise has a decent economy, but it's closer to Colorado Springs than Denver.

Wyoming's economy is a sh*tshow. That state literally has nothing going for it other than O&G, mineral extraction, and tourism.

Denver draws because it's the clear winner when it comes to balancing outdoor recreation, urbanity/amenities and economy.
I haven't been to SLC, but you're probably right regarding amenities. Although you could levy a lot of these same complaints about COS and it's growing as fast if not faster than Denver is. Utah is less mountainous, but the layout is easier to access, you can basically get similar terrains as CO, just in smaller quantities. But like you said, the canyonlands are the other half that add a whole lot. I've just heard the snow's deeper out there, don't know about resort quality.

If I had a work from home job or were at retirement age, the economic factor or WY or ID wouldn't be a big factor. Could I put up with rural white breads? I think so lol, not positive though .

Basically CO has the complete package, but the surrounding states seem to offer better aspects, cost, and terrain if you don't need the whole package.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Definitely factors to consider, but the tornado risk is really almost everywhere east of the Rockies, but are worst on the high plains. Same with floods, they happen everywhere though it appears the southwest and south TX are actually the worst. Concerning bugs, they are anywhere there's moisture (out and about this year in CO), but Missouri and the Ozarks seem to be in a bit of a sweet spot because there's not a lot of standing water and swamps like there is in MN and WI and it freezes enough to keep out a lot of the snakes and other critters common in the deep south. These states don't seem to have as big of a tick or mosquito problem.

I haven't been to SLC, but you're probably right regarding amenities. Although you could levy a lot of these same complaints about COS and it's growing as fast if not faster than Denver is. Utah is less mountainous, but the layout is easier to access, you can basically get similar terrains as CO, just in smaller quantities. But like you said, the canyonlands are the other half that add a whole lot. I've just heard the snow's deeper out there, don't know about resort quality.

If I had a work from home job or were at retirement age, the economic factor or WY or ID wouldn't be a big factor. Could I put up with rural white breads? I think so lol, not positive though .

Basically CO has the complete package, but the surrounding states seem to offer better aspects, cost, and terrain if you don't need the whole package.
So in summary: Colorado has it all, but you are willing to accept less. Roger that.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:25 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,351,500 times
Lack of water and diversity. Otherwise, it was great.

I live in Bellevue. Great mix of folks. I like Colorado a lot but I will also say, the drivers are the least friendly of the places I lived.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-01-2019 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: The post you spoke to was deleted so I merged these for readability.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:13 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
High cost or real estate!

Old 10-02-2019, 09:23 AM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
For me I just didn't want another brutal winter of blowing snow and driving on black ice. I lived there 22 years. I still love CO but I always head there in the summer now.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:43 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,034,411 times
Quote:
So in summary: Colorado has it all, but you are willing to accept less. Roger that.
I wouldn't necessarily phrase it that way. My favorite part about CO is the mountains, public land, and recreation. I don't really care about having a team for every major sports league, 100000000 breweries, I don't even use DIA often. I get why people like those things, but myself those aren't huge pulls. Given that, there's probably other areas in the west that fit my niche better. From just a city perspective, there's better and cleaner and prettier ones further east at a more attractive price point.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I wouldn't necessarily phrase it that way. My favorite part about CO is the mountains, public land, and recreation. I don't really care about having a team for every major sports league, 100000000 breweries, I don't even use DIA often. I get why people like those things, but myself those aren't huge pulls. Given that, there's probably other areas in the west that fit my niche better. From just a city perspective, there's better and cleaner and prettier ones further east at a more attractive price point.
Just out of curiosity, what cities are “pretty?”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado