Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 03:56 PM

259 posts, read 601,800 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I'm going to make a car trip in February to New Mexico, Arizona, and southern California. I live in northern Colorado, so I have to go all the way south through Colorado, and there's no choice but to go over at least one pass. I've ruled out Wolf Creek, but I will probably have to decide between La Veta and Raton. I've driven over La Veta Pass a number of times, but never in the winter. Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of road conditions in the middle of winter? I'll have a few days' flexibility, so I hopefully can avoid driving over it during a blizzard. :-) I'm just wondering whether I'm worrying too much. I'm an older woman who will be traveling solo, though, so I'm a bit concerned about having to put on chains and that sort of thing. If you've had experience with the pass during winter, I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukieF View Post
Hi folks. I'm going to make a car trip in February to New Mexico, Arizona, and southern California. I live in northern Colorado, so I have to go all the way south through Colorado, and there's no choice but to go over at least one pass. I've ruled out Wolf Creek, but I will probably have to decide between La Veta and Raton. I've driven over La Veta Pass a number of times, but never in the winter. Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of road conditions in the middle of winter? I'll have a few days' flexibility, so I hopefully can avoid driving over it during a blizzard. :-) I'm just wondering whether I'm worrying too much. I'm an older woman who will be traveling solo, though, so I'm a bit concerned about having to put on chains and that sort of thing. If you've had experience with the pass during winter, I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks so much.
Unless there is a recent storm, La Veta Pass should be fine. Alternatively, you can go down 285 through Salida and down. From the San Luis Valley, if you're hitting Taos, you can continue down 285 or CO159.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:00 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
If the conditions are bad enough that you need to put on chains it's best to not be on the road. The sun comes out pretty quickly here and the CDOT trucks do a good job of keeping people safe. www.cotrip.org for current road conditions.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:15 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukieF View Post

Check out my info on the New Mexico forum on the thread you started.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:46 AM

53 posts, read 48,178 times
I agree, unless there is a storm, it isn't bad. I have come over it in near whiteout conditions and was happy to have a car to follow all the way to Fort Garland but that is the only time it has been bad for me. I usually just watch the weather and decide if the trip is worth it or not. That one time, I really had to get home that day. I can't speak about Raton. I have only driven that in the summer.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:23 PM

259 posts, read 601,800 times
Thanks, everyone. Even though I'm a third-generation Colorado native, I've always avoided driving in the mountains in winter (I don't ski). I've run into some problems on Monument Pass, even though it's cleared all the time when it snows, so I'm leary. This is one of those times I won't be able to just stay home and hide my head in the sand (snow). :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado