Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which town would you rather live in?
Durango 34 60.71%
Montrose 22 39.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 AM

97 posts, read 135,109 times

Advertisements

If a person votes, they are granting "authority" to politicians to create laws that affect ppls lives. That is not a generalization. That is a fact.

In Colorado this election (Official results @ CO - Election Results)

Obama won 27 counties. Of those, 1 voted against marijuana "legalization."

Romney won 37 counties. Of those, 30 voted against marijuana "legalization"

Speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
^^^^^No it does not speak volumes. All is says is that in this election cycle, many Obama supporters were also supporters of proposition 64, and many Romney supporters were against it.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 AM

97 posts, read 135,109 times
K. Whatever.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:45 PM

88 posts, read 88,138 times
But, telecommute/internet-commute jobs, you have to worked your way up a ladder, etc. And then live in an area with enough good Net access to actually be able to do that. In a somewhat isolated area with mts., that adds to the cost.

And, processed foods more expensive than fresh? I kind of doubt that. Cheap white bread is definitely cheaper than quality whole wheat. That's why poor areas are food deserts.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:59 PM

178 posts, read 604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino63 View Post
But, telecommute/internet-commute jobs, you have to worked your way up a ladder, etc. And then live in an area with enough good Net access to actually be able to do that. In a somewhat isolated area with mts., that adds to the cost.

And, processed foods more expensive than fresh? I kind of doubt that. Cheap white bread is definitely cheaper than quality whole wheat. That's why poor areas are food deserts.
I buy local milk and beef/elk/deer meat and grow a lot of my own fruit and trade some of it for vegetables. I also make my own bread for a lot less than what I can buy it for at the store. Internet access through cable also seems to work well.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:18 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,964 times
GStone, I am curious, do you happen to know if cable is only available in the main city area or does it extend to some outlying communities like the Spring Creek Mesa for example?

Old 12-29-2013, 09:27 PM

178 posts, read 604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
GStone, I am curious, do you happen to know if cable is only available in the main city area or does it extend to some outlying communities like the Spring Creek Mesa for example?
I live outside of the city limits between Montrose and Spring Creek Mesa and we have cable. I can't say so for sure but you can probably get cable on Spring Creek Mesa. Give Charter a call.

Last edited by GStone777; 12-29-2013 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-29-2013, 11:23 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,964 times
Thanks GStone!

Old 12-30-2013, 10:22 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino63 View Post
You must not cook much. Fresh foods are far cheaper than processed food. You can cook a fresh meal for far less than what it would cost you to buy it in a box, thaw it, & pop it in the oven or microwave. You are paying for the convenience of processed foods compared to having to cook a fresh meal from scratch. Commercial bread is a poor example because commercial breads, wheat or otherwise are both considered processed foods as they contain preservatives for maximum shelf life.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:13 PM

289 posts, read 776,187 times
Doing a follow-up on a thread that I started. I moved to Montrose after 2 years in Durango and lived there for a year and a half. I'm happy to say that I was given the opportunity to leave Montrose a couple of months ago and will NEVER be back. I hereby retract any statement(s) I made saying that Montrose was a better place than Durango. I was dead wrong.

Montrose natives & long-time residents are the type who shun all forms of progress and hate the idea of any new person moving to town and "ruining" their community. I never felt welcome while I was there and got fed up with the bass ackwards ways and rude people I dealt with on a daily basis. I consider myself a republican, but the town is so overly conservative that it can't get out of it's own way.

The economy is totally stagnant and there are a TON of empty storefronts throughout the town. Dining options, well, suck. You have the choice of Chili's, Applebee's, mediocre Mexican food and a bunch of overpriced local restaurants with food that is mediocre at best. Young and single? Forget about it. Everyone marries their high school sweetheart, pops out a kid or two before they turn 21 and only mingles with the circle of friends they had in high school. I found it very difficult to make any new friends while I was there.

If given a mulligan, I never would have left Durango. Those were 2 of the best years of my life. Glad I was able to move on and start over fresh after Montrose. I'm happier now than I ever was when I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado