Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most crowded ski resort
Breckenridge 6 54.55%
Copper 2 18.18%
Winter Park 1 9.09%
A basin 0 0%
Keystone 2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:56 PM

284 posts, read 516,498 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide between two ski passes for the season. Can you rank these resorts by the Crowds and Lift lines on weekends. 1 having the least crowds- 5 the worst.

Breckenridge
Copper
Winter Park/Mary Jane
Keystone
A-Basin

Any other comments about any of these resorts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 07:11 AM

68 posts, read 172,204 times
Default Don't deal with that:)

We ski Powderhorn, Sunlight, and Snowmass so I really don't know much about lift lines

IF I have to ski towards Denver it is Loveland for me. High speed lifts don't do any good if you have to wait 15 minutes just to get on

Old 09-30-2012, 07:32 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,768 times
Just my subjective experience...

Breck gets long lift lines (especially at the base) but tends to spread out the crowds better on the mountain. Keystone lift lines are often shorter, but the runs get VERY crowded.

The base lift at A-Basin (Black Mountain) can get really long lift lines as well (Pali is an alternative if you can ski the terrain).

It's been years since I skied Copper or WP/MJ, but from what I hear from friends, Copper is usually very empty these days.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:42 AM

521 posts, read 859,833 times
A-Basin will definitely be the least crowded on the weekend but the people that are there know how to ski and have a good time. It get's pretty boring skiing the beginner terrain after a while (my wife even got bored) and, unless you know the tamer blues, some of them can be kinda steepish for someone just beginning to push the intermediate boundary. If you are a strong intermediate and just barely pushing advanced (one black), you'll have so much fun at A-Basin you'll have a stupid grin to wipe off your face every day you leave.

If you want to ski with a ton of tourons, hipster d-bags, and tall-tee wanna be losers, Key and Breck would be right up your alley. Of course there are some really cool people there too but it generally isn't worth it to go there other than on weekdays due to the vibe being put out by idiot teens. Winter Park is slightly less like that but still carries that vibe around the terrain parks and Mary Jane; bump skiers can be jerks sometimes as I guess everyone can.

Still haven't been to Copper so I can't comment on them but I hear good things about the vibe and terrain from buddies.

If you can't tell by now, I think you should buy a pass to A-Basin even though I have no clue why you wouldn't add Loveland to your list. That would be my choice (and is every season) hands down. Hardly any tourists, a totally different "mountain" for learning, and terrain for everyone and plenty of it.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
The lines at Keystone in my experience usually aren't too bad, with the exception of around the holidays.

I agree with SkiScree-- Loveland NEVER has any lift lines. Only problem with Loveland is the main parking lot fills up very quickly, requiring you to park over at the Loveland Valley side (and the main lots there fill up quickly as well) and take a shuttle bus over.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:26 AM

115 posts, read 323,487 times
Loveland, then Winter Park.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
I'm a cross country skier. I NEVER wait in line!

Old 09-30-2012, 12:09 PM

521 posts, read 859,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I'm a cross country skier. I NEVER wait in line!

That's the best thing about XC.

OP, if you plan on doing any XC, I would put Eldora on your short list of places to go. World class XC trails. For alpine it can get windy up there but Carona Bowl is pretty fun and they're slated to make a huge expansion in the next three years with a couple new lifts and a ton of extra acreage. The way the mountain is laid out, you'll never be around skiers of different abilities unless they willingly go somewhere they shouldn't be.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:27 PM

404 posts, read 904,366 times
Get the epic pass and call it good

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado