Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:38 PM

6 posts, read 11,463 times

Advertisements

My wife (nurse) and I (teacher) are looking for a few suggestions on a good community to live in. We love the outdoors hiking, biking, rafting, camping and boating, which explains the itch.

We are looking for a good school system with a strong football tradition for me with a hospital close for her. A town with lots to offer a young family both in the summer and winter. A farmers market or somewhere to offer fresh produce would be a huge plus. We enjoy the convience of a town, but the relaxing and welcoming feel of the country.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink At least Fort Collins

In a word: Fort Collins.

Other towns will meet your criteria as well. Some in the mountains with better opportunities in outdoor recreation, particularly skiing, but only high school football, and due the expense and smaller markets not financially feasible for most. Generally speaking, the Front Range is it.

Fort Collins has a separate forum within that of Colorado; more specific information there of course. Boulder does as well, which could also largely fit your desires. Yet if both these towns with major universities, football, and any number of those into the outdoors, each in various ways different. With some familiarity one may begin to understand that among hiking, biking, rafting, camping, etc., which of these is really most important to one, as one local better in one respect than another. Not to mention the little matter of employment, which may inform all else.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
The biggest stumbling block is usually finding suitable employment. The best option for that would be Denver.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 PM
:)>

34 posts, read 90,271 times
I would think a teacher and nurse should have no problems anywhere. Fort Collins is a great suggestion. What type of teacher are you? K-12 or college? CSU is a fantastic school and it's right in Fort Collins.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM

^^^^That might be the case in the bigger population centers of the front range, but obtaining employment for a teacher and a nurse would be very challanging to find over here in Grand Junction, and everywhere else on the western slope.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:02 PM

6 posts, read 11,463 times
I'm a middle/high teacher with my masters and 10 years exp. Hopefully martketable, but every teaching market is different. Just have to wait and see what is out there in the spring.

We are planning a trip to get a feel for some areas and was just wanting to narrow down our trip. I am pretty much hearing and reading on multiple forums/websites the area of the foothills(?) Pretty much riding down I25 from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs.

We are not big city people. Louisville, Lexington, and Nashville are fun to visit but not relaxing for a daily grind so Denver is not for us. We are from Murray, Ky home of Murray State University area so Fort Collins is somewhat more our cup of tea, but would like to hear of some places comparable or smaller with lots to offer.

I love what highschool football does to a community in bringing everyone together on friday night. That would be a huge bonus to be part of a that tradition and school pride. The college teams are good weekend trips so that drive wouldn't be an issue to have to be right next to them.

As for the outdoors scene. Biking and Hiking is as much as possible, camping is weekend trips that can be driven to, and rafting is such a small window that closeness isn't important. We enjoy the snow, but skiing isn't top on our list.

Thanks for all the responses. Please keep them coming.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Autumn towards spring

You are correct that your search will likely center between Colorado Springs and Fort Collins. Exactly where will possibly more depend on employment. Which, frankly, may prove something of a challenge.

Fort Collins, for instance, is said to enjoy excellent schools. This doesn't necessarily translate into ease in securing such employment. In having talked to someone who would know, it can be difficult for even those presently working with the school district, and local in having lived in town for years. Add the likely necessity of a secondary income, in nursing, and more of a challenge.

Nevertheless, there is a lot to be said for living in an area one loves, so one could at least aim for that most preferred. Aside from overall population, these Front Range towns will be different in various ways. One that informs both Boulder and Fort Collins lies in them being college towns. CU has a campus in Denver as well, but naturally not the impact these schools have in their two relatively smaller home towns. In personally looking one might soon have a better feel for areas they prefer.

There are a number of smaller towns scattered along the Front Range, so one may possibly find a home there. Although generally it seems most employment and services are located in the larger towns, with much else beyond being semi-rural. From many of the more major towns it would be possible to live at a remove in the mountains, as more than a few do, and commute into town. Such an option isn't for everyone, and only worth it for those determined to live there. In example, outside of Fort Collins one could have a fairly rural existence either on the plains or even within the foothills. Practical access from what is an actual town would be on the plains; either Windsor or Loveland would be smaller, yet Fort Collins generally viewed as more desirable, if appreciably larger.

Good options in biking and hiking can be had in many locals. Biking should be popular anywhere in this region, and definitely is in either Fort Collins or Boulder. Either of these towns—or nearby outlying communities—enjoy fairly ready access into the mountains and places such as Rocky Mountain National Park. More locally, it is hard to imagine anywhere with better hiking trails from its very doorstep than Boulder. Not only that, it enjoys one of the most beautiful locations in Colorado. Although some, with some credence, complain of the congestion on trail and associated parking this popularity brings. Or that some lesser known areas west of Denver may be preferable in that regard. So do investigate, even if just the trails themselves outside of Boulder are great.

If you could swing it, even a few days spent now and in the coming autumn into October could provide a lot of first hand information invaluable in informing later decisions. Something to think on through the winter on what might be best desired, or work.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 AM

FootballGuy wrote: I'm a middle/high teacher with my masters and 10 years exp

Depending on the school district, you may be able to step into the local pay scale at the 10 yr level. When we moved to Grand Junction 6 yrs ago from Virginia, my wife had 16 yrs experience with a masters degree. They took her into the system with 10 yrs experience. I think she lost about $10,000 in salary, but she was coming from a metro school district where the payscale is probably more lucrative than it is in rural Kentucky. IF you can find a Colorado teaching position, you might actually get a pay raise. Good Luck! But do as Idunn suggests, and visit first. Colorado may or may not be what you are looking for. It's not everyones cup of tea.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 AM

103 posts, read 395,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballGuy View Post
My wife (nurse) and I (teacher) are looking for a few suggestions on a good community to live in. We love the outdoors hiking, biking, rafting, camping and boating, which explains the itch.

We are looking for a good school system with a strong football tradition for me with a hospital close for her. A town with lots to offer a young family both in the summer and winter. A farmers market or somewhere to offer fresh produce would be a huge plus. We enjoy the convience of a town, but the relaxing and welcoming feel of the country.

Any thoughts?
Others will no doubt disagree....but if you are looking at the relaxing and welcoming feel of the country.....parts of rural Colorado may be worth a look. Both Eastern and Western slopes have great rural communities with friendly people, a great lifestyle, good school systems, and strong football traditions. Many of our rural communities have quality hospitals, great fresh produce, and things to do outdoors...or close proximity to the things you list.

Rural Hospitals would give you a list of rural hospitals in Colorado and you could begin your research from there.

Once you narrow some things down, go to Colorado High School Sports - MaxPreps for information about the athletic tradition and programs for any school in Colorado you would like to explore.

And.....I agree, you need to visit, and good luck in your search.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:27 AM

la junta econ devel wrote: Others will no doubt disagree....but if you are looking at the relaxing and welcoming feel of the country.....parts of rural Colorado may be worth a look.

The western slope is certainly worth a look, but finding the jobs is likely to be more of a challange. In the rural areas, teachers and nurses are high paid professions compared to most other employment opportunities, so there is far more competiton for those high paying jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado