Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 5,818 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My long-term boyfriend and I are considering a move to Colorado to start up a franchise location of a local, quick-service restaurant. We currently live in the Cincinnati, OH area, though we actually live in the state of Kentucky (Northern Kentucky area). We are ready to get out of the midwest, and would like to move further towards the west. We have talked about California (of course), New Mexico, and possibly Washington. We feel like Colorado would be a great compromise of all the things we're looking for. We're just not sure WHERE in colorado!

Just to let you know a little bit more about us, I'm from Texas and he is from Michigan. We are both about in our mid- to late-twenties. We are very liberal, intellectual, non-religious, independent thinkers. We enjoy the arts, music in particular. We love movies, restaurants, live music, and out-door activites that don't necessarily require a ton of skill or physical strain (ie. we're not rock-climbers, but we do like hiking trails).

We don't follow sports, nor are we concerned with finding good schools or "family-oriented" neighborhoods, as we don't plan to get married or have children.

We would like to find a place to live that is near a big city (from what I've read in my research so far, I think being near Denver would be good for us, but I'm still very open to other options), but not necessarily IN the city. We would like to be be near urban activites, as well as nature activities. I would also like to be near water, if possible, though it's certainly not a deal-breaker. We would like to find a place where the people are welcoming, friendly, "laid-back", and accepting of various life-styles. As I mentioned, we are liberal and would like to find a place where the residents are, as well. Cost of living should be moderate, as we'll never be millionares running a restaurant franchise. We'd like to eventually buy a house, but would probably start by renting one...There is more I could list that would be ideal to find, but I'm afraid of limiting our options too much.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,636 times
Don't tell people you're from Texas and you'll be fine. Trust me on this! I don't mention I came from California, that's just s bad.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:02 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Boulder, Fort Collins and the Denver Metro Area are all excellent choices.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 PM

352 posts, read 713,375 times
Wow, you two have been saving your pennies to be mid-20s and have enough to buy a restaurant franchise. Good on you.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:22 PM

9 posts, read 19,731 times
Yeah, don't say the "T" word up here. I don't think there should be any discrimination on where you come from but it is a reality here. I had to drive a rental car for a few days that had TX plates and people were just rude to me.
I would say look at Ft Collins. It is a very vibrant community and might meet your needs.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcolorado1 View Post
Yeah, don't say the "T" word up here. I don't think there should be any discrimination on where you come from but it is a reality here. I had to drive a rental car for a few days that had TX plates and people were just rude to me.
I would say look at Ft Collins. It is a very vibrant community and might meet your needs.

I know why is that? I have a friend from Georgia and her hubby from Texas and he claims he gets treated really bad and thinking of moving to Oregon.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
I know why is that? I have a friend from Georgia and her hubby from Texas and he claims he gets treated really bad and thinking of moving to Oregon.
Unfortunately, a lot of Texans who visit Colorado, especially the affluent ones from Texas metro areas, have a very arrogant attitude combined with a really inflated opinion of themselves. In addition, going way back to the early days of Colorado's gas and oil industry, a lot of that was dominated by Texas companies (and Texans) who had little regard for Colorado and Coloradans. The result of all that is a lot of long-term resentment by long-time Coloradans of Texans, in general. That really isn't fair to a lot of nice people from Texas, but it is a fact. Californians get a similar bad reputation, in many cases, for some of the similar reasons. As a result, you will hear in Colorado such "zingers" as:

"What is the most beautiful thing in the world?"

"A Texan leaving Colorado with a Californian under each arm."

Or,

"If God had intended Texans to ski, He would have made bull**** white."

Or,

"If Texas and Texans are so g******ed great, why are you up here?"

By the way, Texans and Californians are fairly unpopluar among long-time local residents in all of the Rocky Mountain states.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of Texans who visit Colorado, especially the affluent ones from Texas metro areas, have a very arrogant attitude combined with a really inflated opinion of themselves. In addition, going way back to the early days of Colorado's gas and oil industry, a lot of that was dominated by Texas companies (and Texans) who had little regard for Colorado and Coloradans. The result of all that is a lot of long-term resentment by long-time Coloradans of Texans, in general. That really isn't fair to a lot of nice people from Texas, but it is a fact. Californians get a similar bad reputation, in many cases, for some of the similar reasons. As a result, you will hear in Colorado such "zingers" as:

"What is the most beautiful thing in the world?"

"A Texan leaving Colorado with a Californian under each arm."

Or,

"If God had intended Texans to ski, He would have made bull**** white."

Or,

"If Texas and Texans are so g******ed great, why are you up here?"

By the way, Texans and Californians are fairly unpopluar among long-time local residents in all of the Rocky Mountain states.

So it seems.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:12 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink If determined

Instead of a house, perhaps plan on an underwhelming apartment and feeling you are paying too much rent for that so-called luxury.

Boulder should in many respects offer what you are seeking, minus the affordability part. So a good time to consider that business plan carefully, and if any restaurant franchise can meet your needs. Not that a good many do not exist in this state, in fact a lot do, so the question who is desperately seeking another, or where that might be.

At a guess, maybe somewhere in Denver metro for that they cannot already find by driving three blocks. Possibly in Fort Collins, who could possibly use one or two other select franchises not presently there. Although in looking one will find the offerings there can tend to be more eclectic, and this is where we begin to veer into privately run restaurants with a purpose.

The same surely goes even more so in Boulder. The Food Network program Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives covered a place on or near Pearl Street that seemed quite good. Which is more the calibre many in that area expect and will pay for. McDonald's also has outposts in town, which appear in no hurry to go anywhere, but good luck affording such a franchise, aside from the issue of pilfering someone else's turf.

Put all this another way, and if the franchise one has in mind could not afford the desired lifestyle, then what good is it? Yet a private and successful business can potentially provide a handsome living.

Another approach might lie in doing some reconnaissance in person, as in locally working for someone else initially. See what works, or what may be still missing with a market for it. Who knows, maybe even the franchise one has in mind, with at least then perhaps a better idea where ideally to site it. Restaurants are a hard enough business, with a high degree of failure, to not enter such an enterprise with the best possible chances, most knowledge—and, as requirement, love.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 PM

307 posts, read 981,021 times
+ 1 on Fort Collins. All the points you mentioned really suggest Fort Collins in my opinion. Generally Liberal and progressive. Lots of outdoor opportunities, trails, lakes access to mountians etc. The outdoor activities are easily accessible from casual to intense. Folks here say it has more restaurants per capita than anywhere in the nation. I don't know if thats true, but there are a ton of restaurants and it is a very strong food, beer and art/music culture. Not a strongly religious environment like you may be used to in Texas and back East. Boulder would probably suit as well. There is a little more of an agrarian culture in Fort Collins than in Boulder. If being near Denver prevails, then look into Boulder.

You will most definitely fit in just about anywhere from Denver to Fort Collins along the Front Range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado