Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:33 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2co08 View Post
Thanks everyone for your valuable input. tfox, it sounds like you think a body adjusts physiologically over time. . . Jazzlover, it sounds like you think feeling cold is more of a matter of temperament. I think I'd have to go with the jogging suit under my dress (lol thunderbird) and a lot of lotion and nasal spray (thanks for the tip Mike) before I'd bug out. :O Sounds to me from these responses that there isn't a whole lot to bug out about in the Front Range (thanks for the clarification, Wing). But I'm hoping I'll develop thicker skin or something over time. Either that or hopefully my bubble will insulate me.
Wusses? When I lived in Gunnison years back, we would be wondering around with just a wool sweater for outerwear when it finally would get up to zero on some days. Admittedly, the wind seldom blew there when it was that cold and the sun was usually shining. When the temp finally got up to 32 F. in the spring the co-eds at the college would go sunbathing in bikinis outside on the south side of the dorm. Of course, most of them were "natives" used to the winter weather.

As to shopping, most women's "fashion" type shoes and boots are pretty much worthless in snow or ice. Sorrels rule then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 12:54 PM

117 posts, read 622,859 times
I don't know what Sorrel Rule is. I did a google on it and found a great site for Sorel snow boots though! Thank you Jazz!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:02 PM

21 posts, read 87,013 times
I have a pair of Sorrels! Love 'em. They're about 10 years old. Very sturdy, warm and comfy. My DD stepped on a patch of "ice" (turned out to be a foot deep puddle) in her Ughs a few winters back in the parking lot of a ski slope. That didn't work out so well for her.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:11 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
I don't know what Sorrel Rule is. I did a google on it and found a great site for Sorel snow boots though! Thank you Jazz!
Sorry for the mis-spelling.

Winter redneck fashion statement?

Sorel boots (or pointy-toed galoshes that fit over your cowboy boots)

Carhartt coveralls

Pendleton wool shirt (western, preferably)

Jeans sprayed with Scotchgard (yeah, wool pants are better, but--hey!--we're sweaty rednecks)

"Gimme" wool/polyester hat advertising favorite automobile, farm implement, or sports team.

"Gimme" insulated vest to wear under Carhartts, or wear for light coat when it's above zero or so.

Insulated work gloves (in case you have to change semi-bald snow tire on pickup)

PS--Yes, I must be a redneck--I have all this stuff . . .

Old 10-08-2007, 01:57 PM

117 posts, read 622,859 times
Great ideas!
I think we just need to take Jazzlover shopping with us...

Old 10-08-2007, 02:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
ca2co08, This will be my first winter in CO after a move from CA, too. When visiting and house hunting last January it was 20 F and sunny. I had on a thin turtleneck, sweater, and ski jacket. By mid day I was peeling off layers. The realtor was in a long sleeved blouse and leather jacket. She might have had on a sweater vest.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Great ideas!
I think we just need to take Jazzlover shopping with us...
Introducing Redneck's Fall 2007 Collection

Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 PM

21 posts, read 87,013 times
LOL Charles!

Old 10-08-2007, 02:37 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,030 times
What are the best type of shoes to get? I walk to the lightrail from where I live & then I have about a half a block walk to where I work from where the lightrail drops me off. Is there a worry for ice? Would boots work? I can always carry my "office" shoes but I'd rather not break my neck wearing the wrong shoes.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebigcity View Post
What are the best type of shoes to get? I walk to the lightrail from where I live & then I have about a half a block walk to where I work from where the lightrail drops me off. Is there a worry for ice? Would boots work? I can always carry my "office" shoes but I'd rather not break my neck wearing the wrong shoes.
Most days you would be fine wearing athletic shoes, loafers or anything else. A few days a year, you will need boots. Ice depends on how well the walks get shoveled, but after a day or two the snow and ice are usually gone except in very unusual circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado