Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,123,089 times

Advertisements

My wife joked so we're moving to Co and not Mt?
I see your not in favor of the change but hope-fully you will see that it's not going to be that big of a deal.
Why would they leave?
A lot of folks already get high every day. So why are they still here?
You'd be surprised at how many folks get high on an occasion and their backgrounds it's not just dirt-bags.
When we allowed concealed carry of a weapon the chicken little's yelled, but they will just shoot each other and there will be shoot outs in the streets and that didn't happen did it.

Yes, there will be a few more problems at first when some push the limit of their new freedom but they will mellow out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
There will also be some people who will leave Colorado because of this--many of them long-time productive Coloradans who don't find it necessary to be a pothead to be happy and don't want to be around such people in their neighborhoods or workplaces. I may be one of them. Maybe some dips***t pothead will buy my house--cash up front, of course--if they are so damned obsessed with being somewhere that makes it easy for them to get high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 11:56 PM

18,622 posts, read 33,192,920 times
I would look forward to serious tax revenues. Massachusetts voted yes for medical marijuana (which I think is largely a crock as medicine) but I am very interested in revenues for the state.
However, Mass. voted by 51-49 not to allow doctors to prescribe lethal doses of medication for terminal patients (a la Oregon) and I am most distressed by that.
I don't like being around potheads any more than I like being around drunks. I believe people can have the occasional smoke just like the occasional beer, and the same percentage will go over the cliff into abuse. I just wanna see the tax revenues no matter what.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:18 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,483,321 times
Quote:
There will also be some people who will leave Colorado because of this--many of them long-time productive Coloradans who don't find it necessary to be a pothead to be happy and don't want to be around such people in their neighborhoods or workplaces. I may be one of them. Maybe some dips***t pothead will buy my house--cash up front, of course--if they are so damned obsessed with being somewhere that makes it easy for them to get high. Oh, wait a minute, though. In my area, most of the potheads will be on public welfare because they won't be able to pass the drug test required to secure almost any of the few decent-paying jobs in the area.

Yes, and that "pothead" that buys your house will be a scientist, inventor, artist...etc. Maybe it will be Kevin Smith: https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith He tweeted that he will be seeing us more often because of the amendment. But, I am sure, because you don't smoke pot, that your accomplishments are greater than his impressive resume as an actor and producer.

Get over yourself.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 AM

455 posts, read 1,126,031 times
Quote:
There will also be some people who will leave Colorado because of this--many of them long-time productive Coloradans who don't find it necessary to be a pothead to be happy and don't want to be around such people in their neighborhoods or workplaces. I may be one of them. Maybe some dips***t pothead will buy my house--cash up front, of course--if they are so damned obsessed with being somewhere that makes it easy for them to get high. Oh, wait a minute, though. In my area, most of the potheads will be on public welfare because they won't be able to pass the drug test required to secure almost any of the few decent-paying jobs in the area.
Do you refer to everyone who drinks alcohol as a drunk or alcoholic or assume that they are? Just like the brush you are painting recreational marijuana users with.

Why is there this assumption that anyone who smokes marijuana is automatically a pot head? I think Colorado did a great thing and predict there will be no massive cultural reactions.

I'd wager the majority of people who smoke or have smoked marijuana are just your everyday people including many productive members of society.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,256,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think a state would be able to tax something that's against Federal law. The state could become an accessory to a Federal crime.
Exactly. The law is meaningless and symbolic in nature. As long as it is still illegal on a federal level, all the potheads are just cheering for nothing. Like cheering for a team which isn't even playing.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 AM

665 posts, read 1,287,756 times
Quote:
You don't think you're around pot smokers now? The only thing that will change in that aspect is that the users will be paying taxes and supporting a business instead of possibly supporting cartels. You don't have to like the new law, but at least have an educated opinion about it.

I'd also be curious as to how the legalization of medical marijuana has affected you. That's a rhetorical question, just so you know.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,373,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Yes, and that "pothead" that buys your house will be a scientist, inventor, artist...etc. Maybe it will be Kevin Smith: https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith He tweeted that he will be seeing us more often because of the amendment. But, I am sure, because you don't smoke pot, that your accomplishments are greater than his impressive resume as an actor and producer.

Get over yourself.
I have plenty of personal and professional accomplishments. And I didn't have any need for marijuana or other drugs that might have gotten in the way of them. I am one of the most respected people in my career field--a field where I could not hold the job if I tested positive for marijuana. Yes, there are people who were/are quite successful while using or addicted to alcohol or illicit drugs. You have to wonder how much MORE successful that they might have been without the chemical dependency. Ever think about that?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,112,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIowan View Post
In the coming weeks in months, I'm predicting people will be migrating/moving to Colorado due to the new Marijuana law. Which, may not be a good thing to the person migration here due to a law.. same way as people are drawn to Las Vegas and end up Unemployed/Homeless. Do you think this could be the same scenario in CO?
I wonder how many will decide NOT to move to Colorado because of it?

Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM

930 posts, read 1,645,815 times
I believe there was a statement that marijuana cannot be taxed, as that has to be something voted on by the people of Colorado, thanks to TABOR. So if the law continues, and is upheld, etc, the citizens of CO need to vote next year on a tax on marijuana.

I do have a question: dispensaries cannot legally sell marijuana for recreational use until next October. I take that to mean as well that smoking weed will not be legal until next October- is that correct?

Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 AM

98 posts, read 181,197 times
Now that this natural substance has been elevated to the level of respect it deserves, the proper descriptive term is: CANNABIS.

Marijuana: is a derogatory mexican name given to it by our government in 1937, as part of their scare tactics. That name should be abandoned, as it is prohibitionist by nature.

Pot, Grass, Weed, Etc. are just slang words for....CANNABIS!

Last edited by CALIFRE; 11-08-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado