Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 AM

50,286 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

See the comments toward the bottom. They get closed in a hurry.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...d-corrupt.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 AM

13 posts, read 60,237 times
I went on vacation in spring 2012, and visited CO during that time and found that the place seemed beautiful and the lifestyle fit mine and the people were so active, and there were bike trails everywhere(I love bikes as a realistic form of transportation). Anyhow, when I got back to Ohio I decided I was going to move there, since then I have slowly been developing a plan to move there, then election day came along and Recreational use of Marijuana was passed in CO and WA. So I was super happy for the US as a whole that this is our first step in legalazation, I don't see the harm in it's use. However, now that my plans to move are drawing near I worry that more people will move there and make it harder for me to find work and a place to live.

In my honest opinion, and also I hope for my own sake . That many people will realize that they need a serious plan and finance to move there and end up not doing it. Also, my main point would have to be that, recreational use of marijuana isn't a HUGE reason to move across the country. If people are interested in smoking it, I'm sure they already have/are doing so. If they are doing so at the moment, I believe they probably keep doing it where they are.

Pot smokers should vote locally to get it legalized where they want to live. Marijuana shouldn't be the whole reason to move.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel More View Post
I went on vacation in spring 2012, and visited CO during that time and found that the place seemed beautiful and the lifestyle fit mine and the people were so active, and there were bike trails everywhere(I love bikes as a realistic form of transportation). Anyhow, when I got back to Ohio I decided I was going to move there, since then I have slowly been developing a plan to move there, then election day came along and Recreational use of Marijuana was passed in CO and WA. So I was super happy for the US as a whole that this is our first step in legalazation, I don't see the harm in it's use. However, now that my plans to move are drawing near I worry that more people will move there and make it harder for me to find work and a place to live.

In my honest opinion, and also I hope for my own sake . That many people will realize that they need a serious plan and finance to move there and end up not doing it. Also, my main point would have to be that, recreational use of marijuana isn't a HUGE reason to move across the country. If people are interested in smoking it, I'm sure they already have/are doing so. If they are doing so at the moment, I believe they probably keep doing it where they are.

Pot smokers should vote locally to get it legalized where they want to live. Marijuana shouldn't be the whole reason to move.

And realistically, I think although a lot of people will SAY "I'm going to Colorado because weed is legal there woo hoo!" I don't think things will ACTUALLY change all that much. I'm betting they won't. Again, I think people are looking at this the wrong way, it's not so much Colorado declaring and defending every citizen's RIGHT to smoke, so much as it is saying that the state itself is not going to take action to stop anybody from doing so specifically.

I'll be interested to see about that thing asking the Feds to "respect" Colorado's wishes in this...I really don't think it will get anywhere. But that doesn't mean the Feds will necessarily crash the party...the question to ask is, what incentive do they have? If powerful individuals still have a strong agenda driving Federal pot busts, we might see Federal activity along those lines...if those in power find a way to profit from decriminalization enough, the Feds might lay off. It's never been about MJ the drug, for these people. It is and always has been all about MONEY.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:02 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
And realistically, I think although a lot of people will SAY "I'm going to Colorado because weed is legal there woo hoo!" I don't think things will ACTUALLY change all that much. I'm betting they won't. Again, I think people are looking at this the wrong way, it's not so much Colorado declaring and defending every citizen's RIGHT to smoke, so much as it is saying that the state itself is not going to take action to stop anybody from doing so specifically.

I'll be interested to see about that thing asking the Feds to "respect" Colorado's wishes in this...I really don't think it will get anywhere. But that doesn't mean the Feds will necessarily crash the party...the question to ask is, what incentive do they have? If powerful individuals still have a strong agenda driving Federal pot busts, we might see Federal activity along those lines...if those in power find a way to profit from decriminalization enough, the Feds might lay off. It's never been about MJ the drug, for these people. It is and always has been all about MONEY.
There is a major battle looming in regards to states rights and a ever present and expanding federal government in regards to things like pot and obamacare. You have the federal government seeking to expand and swallow up the states and the states and the voters are now passing law contrary to federal law or refusing to follow federal law at all.

Uncle Joe Biden said recently he and obama have no plans or desire to relax any federal laws in regards and drugs including cannabis. Which is interesting as the vast majority of potheads likely would have voted for these 2.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
people who claim to support freedom then want to tell others what they can and can't do are just hypocrites in my mind. We bust our butts off 60 hours a week we should be able to have a drink and smoke a joint on the weekend if we want. Yes plenty do go overboard and it seems their life revolves around drinking but that's their choice.

This shouldn't even be an argument, in my opinion. It should be legal, nationwide. War on drugs. War on terror. War on this. War on that. All just disguises for the big money pits these wars consume and all the people who profit from them.
Yes and then after having a drink and smoke, they get behind the wheel and sail through a stoplight and kill a family. Or while they are high/drunk, they beat their wife up. A hefty percentage of the time when it comes to traffic fatalities, domestic abuse or other violence, substance abuse is involved, including cannabis.

So that would be great if these people sat at home and got drunk and high and didn't bother anyone else or their freedom and I'm sure that is the case sometimes. But that's not how it always is.

So what about the "choice" and freedom of those that have to deal with these people who are drunk and high? I never hear you guys ever address that, it's always about yourselves and what you want to do, regardless of the detriment to others.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 PM

13 posts, read 60,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Yes and then after having a drink and smoke, they get behind the wheel and sail through a stoplight and kill a family. Or while they are high/drunk, they beat their wife up. A hefty percentage of the time when it comes to traffic fatalities, domestic abuse or other violence, substance abuse is involved, including cannabis.

So that would be great if these people sat at home and got drunk and high and didn't bother anyone else or their freedom and I'm sure that is the case sometimes. But that's not how it always is.

So what about the "choice" and freedom of those that have to deal with these people who are drunk and high? I never hear you guys ever address that, it's always about yourselves and what you want to do, regardless of the detriment to others.
Probably have heard this but here it goes. If people are using and killing/beating/etc now when it's illegal. Are you are saying that it will increase if it becomes legal? Who is to know really?

Old 11-19-2012, 12:39 PM

665 posts, read 1,295,211 times
Quote:

I think you should call up your local law enforcement and ask them how many times cannabis use alone has led to domestic violence. I'd be really surprised if they came up many, if at all. Then ask how many times alcohol as led to domestic violence.

Not that I think it will open your eyes.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:02 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
people who claim to support freedom then want to tell others what they can and can't do are just hypocrites in my mind. We bust our butts off 60 hours a week we should be able to have a drink and smoke a joint on the weekend if we want. Yes plenty do go overboard and it seems their life revolves around drinking but that's their choice.

This shouldn't even be an argument, in my opinion. It should be legal, nationwide. War on drugs. War on terror. War on this. War on that. All just disguises for the big money pits these wars consume and all the people who profit from them.
Indeed. These for profit wars are killing us.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times
Quote:

So you're suggesting a prohibition of alcohol, pot, cigs or anything that might harm someone? How about sugar? It causes heart disease and and hyperactivity (even violence) in some people. How about coffee? How many accidents have been caused by super wired drivers on their 8th frappuccino? If you look hard enough you can find a reason to prohibit just about anything. I prefer to ere on the side if individual liberties. If you're going to prohibit something, pot should be at the absolute bottom of the list because it's been repeatedly shown to be the least harmful with the most potential for having health benefits.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
So you're suggesting a prohibition of alcohol, pot, cigs or anything that might harm someone? How about sugar? It causes heart disease and and hyperactivity (even violence) in some people. How about coffee? How many accidents have been caused by super wired drivers on their 8th frappuccino? If you look hard enough you can find a reason to prohibit just about anything. I prefer to ere on the side if individual liberties. If you're going to prohibit something, pot should be at the absolute bottom of the list because it's been repeatedly shown to be the least harmful with the most potential for having health benefits.
Sugar and caffeine doesn't completely alter and impair your state of mind like cannabis. If I eat a cookie or drink a coke, it's not going to turn me into a babbling idiot, taking swings at people, drop me to the floor or have me stumbling around in a stupor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado