Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Colorado: good housing prices, homey feel, construction field, mortgage lending

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:32 AM

2 posts, read 7,136 times

Advertisements

I have never wanted to raise my kids in San Diego. I want four seasons...maybe even some "snow days" for the kids. I would like to live in a place where the people are friendlier, and that has a more homey feel. Another issue is that there is no way I will invest in a house here in San Diego. Way too expensive. We want good housing prices.
Good schools would be nice.
Currently, my hubby works for a company that can transfer him to Denver. He is in the construction field, and also has a strong background in mortgage lending. I am a stay at home mom, and I go to school whenever possible. I am planning on becoming an RN, but it will be awhile before I am ready to go back to work since we would like all of our children to be in elementary school first. In other words, we need to live where my hubby can get good work. He is willing to commute up to 45 minutes.
Should we continue looking around the Denver area? If so, what are the best areas?
I don't want to go too far south. I want as many trees and mountains as possible. Are there any other areas we should seriously look into? Maybe Fort Collins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 07:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,855,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char2612 View Post
We want good housing prices.
What is your housing price range or monthly rental budget?
Where in Denver would he be working?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:11 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,503,067 times
I have the decidedly minority opinion on this forum. That's OK. My prediction is that the real estate bubble that is now starting to deflate on the Front Range is going to turn into an all-out bust within the next year or so. When that happens, the Colorado construction industry will head into deep depression. With your husband in that industry, I don't think Colorado will be a great place to be, since so much of the workforce of the state is already concentrated in that industry. Colorado's economy is sort of a chain letter. A little growth feeds construction. Construction causes more growth. More growth causes way more construction. And so on. All fine--until something bursts the bubble and the merry-go-round stops. Then it all implodes. I think we're about there.

It all can happen pretty fast. Ask the people who were around in the early 1980's, when the Colorado economy tanked--and that downturn was but a small preview of what I think is coming this time.

If I'm wrong, and Colorado continues to go the way it has the last 10-20 years or so, then Colorado will turn into exactly what you trying to escape from in California within a very few years.

I'll will be flamed for being "negative." Sorry. But I've been around too long and seen too much to reach any other conclusion. Colorado (and the nation) has taken a road that will leave it with no pleasant choices.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:51 AM

26,242 posts, read 49,140,136 times
Quote:
I have never wanted to raise my kids in San Diego. I want four seasons...maybe even some "snow days" for the kids. I would like to live in a place where the people are friendlier, and that has a more homey feel. Another issue is that there is no way I will invest in a house here in San Diego. Way too expensive. We want good housing prices.
Good schools would be nice. Currently, my hubby works for a company that can transfer him to Denver. He is in the construction field, and also has a strong background in mortgage lending. I am a stay at home mom, and I go to school whenever possible. I am planning on becoming an RN, but it will be awhile before I am ready to go back to work since we would like all of our children to be in elementary school first. In other words, we need to live where my hubby can get good work. He is willing to commute up to 45 minutes. Should we continue looking around the Denver area? If so, what are the best areas? I don't want to go too far south. I want as many trees and mountains as possible. Are there any other areas we should seriously look into? Maybe Fort Collins?
I'd say yes, continue looking around Denver. Things are slower now than in the boom years, could get slower, could get better. Lots of people are coming here to escape high prices, high humidity, hurricane season, scorching weather in the desert southwest areas.

One of the best economists in the country, located here in CO, says the worst is behind us. Time will tell. I see the future as bright. Fine schools in many Denver areas.

Consider Castle Rock, CO, probably more affordable than in Denver, as it puts hubby in a spot to commute to home construction markets on the south side of Denver and north side of Colorado Springs within a 45 minute window.

Use the Search tool with keywords like: school castle parker construction douglas nurse nursing hospital pizza fishing climate traffic weather snow season or whatever is your interest. There's a lot of infomation already here, Search Tool will find it, and quickly.

Use realtor.com or your favorite real estate website to look at house styles and prices in various areas or zip codes.

By all means talk to one or more realtors (I'm not one), they cost you nothing extra and can save you a ton of time and grief.

s/Mike

Old 10-09-2007, 10:49 AM

8 posts, read 23,754 times
My husband and I live in Castle Rock and are extremely happy here. It was just rated as one of the top 5 cities in the US to raise a family in (Family Fun magazine I think?). It's got enough of the big city amenities but the small town feel. The schools I believe are either the best or the 2nd best in the state. CR is gorgeous - bluffs all around, mtns nearby, you can see Pikes Peak from Castle Rock. It's a great position b/c you can work in Co. Springs or southern Denver. We both work in Southern Denver and the commute is 30-45 min for us, depending on the location.
We love our neighbors, it's a family town, it has local flavor and a fun downtown area. People are very friendly, there are plenty of nearby outdoor activities to do and the town has a great community feel. We would really recommend Castle Rock.
The one thing to consider with living in CR and working in Co Springs (tho that doesn't sound like what you were planning on) is you'd have to commute south through Monument Hill and when it snows pretty good, it closes the highway.
Best wishes!!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:25 PM

423 posts, read 1,961,507 times
You mentioned Fort Collins. It would be hard to make the commute to Denver within 45 minutes from here. In fact impossible. You might want to look a little further south of there along the I25 corridor. There are many smaller communities that would be great to raise a family.

If you could find somewhere in between Fort Collins and Denver that would be good for your nursing school situation. I had a friend of mine just go through RN school in Longmont and loved it. I think it was through Front Range Community College but not certain.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 10,075 times
Default Look at Grand Junction

Quote:
Currently, my hubby works for a company that can transfer him to Denver. He is in the construction field, and also has a strong background in mortgage lending. I am a stay at home mom, and I go to school whenever possible. I am planning on becoming an RN, but it will be awhile before I am ready to go back to work since we would like all of our children to be in elementary school first. In other words, we need to live where my hubby can get good work. He is willing to commute up to 45 minutes.
Should we continue looking around the Denver area? If so, what are the best areas?
I don't want to go too far south. I want as many trees and mountains as possible. Are there any other areas we should seriously look into? Maybe Fort Collins?
I have been here for over 30 years, raised my kids here and now have 3 grandchildren....Not a big City but has all the amenities without the severe Denver. Everywhere is a 10 minute commute. Housing is reasonable and plentiful and we have a regional medical center-St. Marys Hospital plus a smaller but very friendly Community Hospital.
I also have a beutiful home for sale 2060 Sq ft

Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM

320 posts, read 1,734,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I have the decidedly minority opinion on this forum. That's OK. My prediction is that the real estate bubble that is now starting to deflate on the Front Range is going to turn into an all-out bust within the next year or so. When that happens, the Colorado construction industry will head into deep depression. With your husband in that industry, I don't think Colorado will be a great place to be, since so much of the workforce of the state is already concentrated in that industry. Colorado's economy is sort of a chain letter. A little growth feeds construction. Construction causes more growth. More growth causes way more construction. And so on. All fine--until something bursts the bubble and the merry-go-round stops. Then it all implodes. I think we're about there.

It all can happen pretty fast. Ask the people who were around in the early 1980's, when the Colorado economy tanked--and that downturn was but a small preview of what I think is coming this time.

If I'm wrong, and Colorado continues to go the way it has the last 10-20 years or so, then Colorado will turn into exactly what you trying to escape from in California within a very few years.

I'll will be flamed for being "negative." Sorry. But I've been around too long and seen too much to reach any other conclusion. Colorado (and the nation) has taken a road that will leave it with no pleasant choices.
Sadly I agree with you. BUT who to blame the builders who just keep building and building as fast as they can or the economy? One thing I notice when we were there was the insane amount of NEW housing still going up and existing houses that sit vacant for sale for 4+ months. Maybe its price range(400K ish) or the simple fact that the builders were/are greedy and will be cause for their own demise. That being said I dream everyday of the day I call CO home. The boom or burst will not really affect us either way, we are very lucky

Old 10-12-2007, 11:47 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,503,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
Sadly I agree with you. BUT who to blame the builders who just keep building and building as fast as they can or the economy? One thing I notice when we were there was the insane amount of NEW housing still going up and existing houses that sit vacant for sale for 4+ months. Maybe its price range(400K ish) or the simple fact that the builders were/are greedy and will be cause for their own demise. That being said I dream everyday of the day I call CO home. The boom or burst will not really affect us either way, we are very lucky
The bust, when it comes, will affect everyone. To think otherwise is no more than wishful thinking. It will be especially dramatic in Colorado because the state economy is so tied to construction, making more sprawl, along with the state's near complete dependence on automobile-centered infrastructure.

Colorado various governmental entities, thanks to the TABOR amendment provisions in its Constitution, will also turn into a fiscal basket case when the bust comes. The debate over what government should provide or not provide in public services is a very valid one, but--as it stands now--Colorado governmental entities are in a very poor fiscal position to weather a major economic downturn. When police and fire departments (as an example) don't have enough manpower or equipment to do their jobs, I guarantee you the bust will affect you personally. No, I am not a "tax-and-spend" liberal--just the opposite. But I spent several years in the public sector in Colorado--and dealing with just such fiscal issues was part of my job. Take my word for it, it will be darn scary when the bust hits Colorado.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,232,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The bust, when it comes, will affect everyone. To think otherwise is no more than wishful thinking. It will be especially dramatic in Colorado because the state economy is so tied to construction, making more sprawl, along with the state's near complete dependence on automobile-centered infrastructure.

Colorado various governmental entities, thanks to the TABOR amendment provisions in its Constitution, will also turn into a fiscal basket case when the bust comes. The debate over what government should provide or not provide in public services is a very valid one, but--as it stands now--Colorado governmental entities are in a very poor fiscal position to weather a major economic downturn. When police and fire departments (as an example) don't have enough manpower or equipment to do their jobs, I guarantee you the bust will affect you personally. No, I am not a "tax-and-spend" liberal--just the opposite. But I spent several years in the public sector in Colorado--and dealing with just such fiscal issues was part of my job. Take my word for it, it will be darn scary when the bust hits Colorado.
I think that was more dramatic than "Days of our Lives."

I just can't imagine spending my life worrying about what will happen in the future. All you can really do is make smart financial decisions, watch the signs and be prepared for the worst. But what a tragedy it is to spend your life agonizing over what may never come... Does anyone remember Y2K???

Worry is like a rocking chair. It's always in motion but it gets you nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado