Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 11:31 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,443 times

Advertisements

I took a test a few times about the best location for me would be and three times Colorado has come up. I am a 26 year old single mother thinking about moving from Fort Worth, TX. I have a bachelors and I want to receive my MBA before relocating so I will have it a bit easier to find employment. I just want someone to tell me a little about Colorado; I am not too keen on a very cold environment, some of my activities I like to do is kickboxing, boxing, dancing, writing, political discussions, historical discussions, spending time with my daughter outside, football, pole fitness, reading, yoga, etc. I want to live in a diverse place where there are loads of public transportation, good schools for my daughter, (she's dyslexic and in grade school), I want there to be various places to indulge in that we can easily find events during the week, also a place not crime-ridden full of open-minded hospitable individuals. Show tell me what cha got!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 03:54 PM

23 posts, read 37,141 times
It seems that somewhere like San Francisco would be a good fit for you.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
You could do all of those things in Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, Ft. Collins, or Pueblo (major cities in Colorado where most of the jobs are located). However, if you check the C-D pages for any of these cities and look at the weather data, you will find that Colorado is a cold environment. The snow doesn't just stay in the mountains. The test you took must not have had a good data base if it suggested Colorado for someone who doesn't like the cold.

You should really be focusing on where jobs are available and what the Cost of Living is in various areas. Colorado is more expensive than many areas in the midwest and the south. There have been threads on this forum about COL comparisons. Just do an advanced search at the top of the page.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:19 PM

20 posts, read 83,418 times
I can't say that Colorado sounds right for you. Let me give you the reasons:

1. You're not too keen on a cold environment. That's strike number one. Colorado has a cold winter environment, especially when living in the mountains, winter starts early. But forget the mountains.. living in the Denver area, our first snowfall this year already arrived in October.

2. I can't help but notice that none of your favorite activities include mountain biking, running, hiking, skiing, or snowboarding -- these are the activities that Colorado is known for.

3. Regarding diversity... not sure what you're looking for, but take a look at some of the ethnic percentages on any given city on this site. It probably won't be as "diverse" as New York City, for example, or many parts of California.

4. There is definitely not loads of public transit. Denver is working on making the light rail system more efficient and expansive, but there is still a lot of work to do. It's not cheap either (compared to say, Chicago or DC).

5. There are plenty low-crime areas in Colorado. It really depends on the area of Colorado you're seeking. Fort Collins is not a s large as the Denver Metro Area or Colorado Springs, thus, less crime. Some very nice areas on the south end.

6. Everyone has a different opinion about Colorado's hospitality. Colorado has a large percentage of "transplants" (those who have moved here from out of state). My first experience after moving here was very positive. It seemed that everyone I came into contact with was very nice and "hospitable." Others, however, have had complete opposite opinions viewing everyone in Colorado to be cold and stand-offish.

The great thing about Colorado is that there's always something to do, whether you live in the Denver Metro Area or a small mountain town. If you move here, make sure you do your research and are moving here for the right reasons. My own opinion, however, tells me it's not for you. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Southern California.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:41 AM

23 posts, read 37,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Southern California.
Not really passing the bar on the "public transportation" bit, which is why I suggested SF.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Not a good fit. You can do your activities anywhere so I won't comment on those. Were not diverse and don't have loads of public transportation. Were a four season area. It's cold about half the year. Have you looked at the SF Bay area? Or maybe in Oregon or Washington?

Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
The only place in COLO that comes even close to having "loads of public transportation" is Denver, and IMO it's a good city for you to consider.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado