Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM

19 posts, read 35,870 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I and our kids are interested in info on relocating. We live in a small town in Western Washington and would like to relocate for the following reasons. One.The 8 months of gray in W. Wa. Two.A desire to be around friendlier people.
(Apologies to all of W.Wa this is only one mans opinion, I think weather influences mood, including ourselves)

We are definitely interested in more sun, but are ok with snow, cold. We lived for several years in Truckee and loved it. We are a outdoorsy family and love to hike, camp, swim in lakes, shoot guns, ride dirtbikes ect . We also enjoy vegetable gardening.

We are Christians and homeschool our kids so a place that has a community of like minded people would be a plus. We are not big city types, but worry about being newcomers to a small town. Also being able to find a job that supports a family is no small task and very important. I have a great job right now and would need to have a job lined up before moving.

We are originally from N. CA, live in W.Wa and interested in knowing more about what rest of west has to offer. Especially anywhere in or near mountains.

Any advice or guidance is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 01:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I had to move from Colo to We_tside WA due to job change 30 yrs ago. HIGH property taxes in Colorado also due to CA influx in the 1980's forced me from my ranch property, as is now happening in WA ($33/day in taxes).

I came from Masonville, west of Ft Collins, and lived in Loveland and Estes Park. ALL would be good choices for you, and you can enjoy the Walker Manufacturing Presents... and Masonville hosts free Gospel Music Festival on Aug. 18 - Loveland Reporter-Herald which I come back to every year + Gospel Music -- GMA Music in the Rockies Concert Series -- Entertain Your Belief

I would stay close to WY, as that is far better for your recreational tastes. Places to consider in WY to LIVE would be Sheridan and Powell. (both closer to MT than CO). Also give a look to Spearfish, SD.

Sun is very important and tough to do without... Thus I'm gone from WA more than home (in winter) summer finds me in WA working like a dog to get house weatherized for 9 months of winter. We had 25" of RAIN (drizzle) in November alone, so water is something you will miss in Mtn states. I highly suggest you find a spot with a yearround creek (and water rights) if you like to garden. Many places are on irrigation canals too (but less likely to have water rights)

Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 PM

StealthRabbit, Thanks for the advice, especially the info on water issues. I guess we sure are blessed here in the PNW with the abundance of water. I will definitely do some research on those towns you suggested especially proximity to jobs.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,473 times
Check out Colorado Springs. Match made in heaven

Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Take a look at Grand Junction or Collbran. Small towns with conservative values. Outdoor culture.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyD View Post
StealthRabbit, ...we sure are blessed here in the PNW with the abundance of water.....
AND Running Start for the homeschool (and other WA families). Saved my kids bacon...(they paid their own way) 2 free yrs of college instead of wasting time in High School.

Our Kids designed and built their own homes as Homeschool projects in grades 9 & 10, so they had plenty of dough from the sale of those to pay for college (they each netted about $70k w/ lots of FREE LABOR help from M & D). The Running Start experience was VERY helpful training / discipline for college. I went back and did a masters while they were in college so we all graduated same yr from 3 different U's, and they were still under age 21. (plenty of time to work in careers awhile before getting their masters). + they each had learned a couple 'trades', as indentured apprentices.

Colorado has something similar to Running Start, but I don't think as complete to assure 2 full yrs / jr status @ U at HS grad age. Worth considering staying in WA (Wenatchee or Walla Walla are nice and fairly arid + each have colleges).

What type of work are you needing? Colo can be tough for employment, as there are LOTS of laid off tech workers and graduates and professors that never left Colo.

The prime areas of COLO enjoy a herd of CHEAP workers who will work for peanuts just to stay there. (Remember, WA has one of the Highest Minimum wages in USA (as does OR). Thus, its good for workers, and also why hundreds of WA & OR businesses must flee to ID every yr.

Best thing about Colorado over WA is bike and motorcycle riding. WIDE roads due to snow removal shoulders, and MANY dry days. I rode my bike to work all but 3 days the last yr I lived in Colo. In WA, I rode it 3 days / yr, and realized I would be killed AND miserably wet in the process.
People don't see bikes well in WA
1) there are few bikes on the road
2) tough to see with wipers going
3) it is VERY dark with overcast
4) roads are VERY narrow.

I have had 3 friends killed on bikes in Colo and 3 in WA. BUT 90% of my friends ride bikes in Colorado. ~ 10% in WA. Odds are not good.

Colorado is good for star gazing too.. but I always go to WY for that, since it is so close. Vedauwoo is the BEST star gazing spot!! http://www.google.com/search?q=vedau...DqfA2gXljIC4Cg 40 min from Ft Collins on the 'back-roads'. See you there in mid Aug.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-05-2012 at 12:23 AM..

Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions. Some of the smaller towns like Estes park look really scenic. Are these places where regular folks live and make a living? Also finding myself interested in Western CO.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyD View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. Some of the smaller towns like Estes park look really scenic. Are these places where regular folks live and make a living? Also finding myself interested in Western CO.
In western Colorado, get ready for a HUGE shock in lack of job availability and low wages--relatively high living costs with paltry incomes. Fact of life. And any resort area will lack very many "normal" people, unless you consider part-time residents, trust-funders, low-wage immigrants (legal or otherwise) doing the menial work, high rates of recreational drug use, and other such "amenities" normal.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 AM

462 posts, read 1,173,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
In western Colorado, get ready for a HUGE shock in lack of job availability and low wages--relatively high living costs with paltry incomes. Fact of life. And any resort area will lack very many "normal" people, unless you consider part-time residents, trust-funders, low-wage immigrants (legal or otherwise) doing the menial work, high rates of recreational drug use, and other such "amenities" normal.
Big +1. Been there, done that, worst place that I've ever lived.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 AM

Lugs, Jazz thanks for info on Western Co. Does that include Estes park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado