Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:10 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,932 times

Advertisements

As some eluded to it is probably an advantage to use the water for snowmaking. During the winter creeks and rivers flow through the state and out. with no irrigation use it just goes downstream for the most part. Using some of that water to add to the snowpack increases the amount that will be available for local use next spring and summer.
Kind of like a water savings account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
As some eluded to it is probably an advantage to use the water for snowmaking. During the winter creeks and rivers flow through the state and out. with no irrigation use it just goes downstream for the most part.
Ummm .... my understanding, which is admittedly limited, is that much of that water is captured in reservoirs.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 AM

8 posts, read 12,505 times
Skiing is one of the most environmentally unfriendly sports around (but i go every weekend). This was my graduate work, though old and outdated. Consider the sediment, seeds, etc, that are relocated all over the mtn through pulling water from sources around the base and spreading it all over. Also, erosion, exhaust from lifts and snow equipment, etc. (regarding % of pollution, the majority of VT air pollution is directly related to the ski industry) As I said, it's old and obviously nothing is sourced as I'm at work and my info was gathered 5 years ago. I'm sure much has improved, but don't think just because it's outdoors, healthy, etc, that is is all good, there's a downside. But, as i also mentioned, i eye that forecast each weekend and wax my board regularly... Is what it is. Interesting thought on the snow savings account from blowing it on the slopes, makes sense initially.

Last edited by Migrate; 01-11-2013 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: i type as if I'm wearing mittens

Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Winner winner chicken diner.

Some ski areas even use wells and their own ponds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post

The water used in snow-making stays in the drainage basin and will melt and return to the creeks and rivers that it would end up in anyway. Irrigation water isn't used much, if at all during the winter and that water for the most part is not wasted or gone, it will still be back into the rivers when needed for crop irrigation when melt-out comes.

Like the other poster said, lawns and golf courses use a lot of water at the time when it should be used for growing food. Why pick on the ski resorts ? If you all are really running out of water then perhaps it should be rationed fairly and with intelligence.

For Migrate,
yes a ski area is dirtier than if there was nothing there at all but trees and rocks.
Lifts are run by electricity and the only time they make pollution on site is when the APU is running in the event of a power outage.

yes, the lack of vegetation on new runs is a erosion problem but most do a good job of reseeding.

snow cats are no more dirty that a pick up.

Source of my info, my life experience from being in the slope maintenance field (grunt to supervisor) for 28 years at major western ski areas, (lifts/ maintenance and installation, snowmaking/ grooming, to cutting new trails to installing snowmaking systems and lifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: