Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times

Advertisements

Your probably right I just hate seeing people up and arms over a little bakery is all. I feel sorry for all the ma and pa stores in America with the way the government taxes them and then to see people not buying when their products are great because of some belief is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Your probably right I just hate seeing people up and arms over a little bakery is all. I feel sorry for all the ma and pa stores in America with the way the government taxes them and then to see people not buying when their products are great because of some belief is all.
Can you also see the view that those business owners are turning away business because of their beliefs? It's the business owners deciding they don't want/need the business.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 PM

Well then I wouldn't use them but wouldn't tell others so their business goes down to the ground which could hurt the community as well. No, stay away from business that irritates you but as one poster said they would tell everyone so they would be out of business. That bothers me is all. Now if their work/product is inferior then that is something you should put on a review but not their political or otherwise beliefs shouldn't enter the picture. That to me is FREE AMERICA.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Well then I wouldn't use them but wouldn't tell others so their business goes down to the ground which could hurt the community as well. No, stay away from business that irritates you but as one poster said they would tell everyone so they would be out of business. That bothers me is all. Now if their work/product is inferior then that is something you should put on a review but not their political or otherwise beliefs shouldn't enter the picture. That to me is FREE AMERICA.
I think you are referring to me so let me clarify my position.

If I go to a store/ restaurant and am told they would not give me service simply because I am gay yes I would tell people. Now if I go to another store and get great service again I will tell people. The people I tell can chose if they want to go to the business I told them about, the ones I liked and the ones I did not like. That is how the free market works.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 PM

Then your correct. If one goes to a store and they ask if your gay (how else would they know) and then doesn't serve you, I'd sure let someone know too. They shouldn't be in business your right.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 PM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I'd rather see people boycotting a business out of FREE WILL than see government legislation FORCE a business to serve to people they don't want to.

Which do you prefer?
I would remind you that you are using the same reasoning that businesses (such as hotels and restaurants) used to discriminate against "Negroes" back in the pre-Civil Rights era.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Living in Massachusetts, the land of the first state to legalize same-sex marriage, I have long wondered what a civil union actually is- legally. Unless there are two lines at the city hall- one labeled "marriage license" and the other "civil union license" and people come out at the end with exactly the same rights and responsibilities, then I don't get it. If "gay marriage" is a phrase that distresses people so much, then call it a civil union but *with the same rights and responsibilities*.
After several years of same-sex marriage, the Republic is still standing. There's been a shot in the arm for business in Mass. for same-sex marriages and all the hoo-hah that goes with weddings, although I do think that gay couples, usually being older and having thought about what they are doing a whole lot more (and having not read "Bride Magazine" to produce Bridezillas from Day One) do not fall for the worst of the consumerist mess that a wedding can be.
I have always said, let gay people have a shot at making the same mistakes as straight people when it comes to marriage. Marriage is a contract between the couple and the state- nothing romantic about that. It's a contract. (I am not overly in favor of marriage for myself, and have not come close, and at a ripe old age, still have some sense that I'd want to keep the state out of my relationship. But if the state said for some reason I couldn't sign the contract, I'd be mad).

Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
I think the point that everyone is trying to make is that if a business is going to willfully discriminate, then people have the right to know about it. Whether they are good at what they do or not is irrelevant. IMO, they are not a good business owner, because they are purposefully turning down business solely based on their beliefs. If you can afford to do that, then I guess that would be your prerogative. However, if you are going to then complain that your discrimination (call it beliefs, but it's still discriminatory) is driving business away, or that you are going under, I'd say too d*** bad! As a business owner you made the choice to exclude certain clientele. Plain and simple. That's the free market as well!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe Itsavized View Post
As expected, Senate committee passes Colorado civil unions bill - The Denver Post

;D Yay. +1 for the LGBT. It's about time.

In before all of the religious flamers come to give their thoughts.
So just checking, this is a sure thing? Done deal? No roadblocks to intervene in the near future?

Colorado has certainly come a long way since the 90's. This article was written 21 years ago in 1992 regarding the Colorado boycott due to anti gay legislation....http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/21/op...o-boycott.html

Old 01-26-2013, 02:14 PM

136 posts, read 460,896 times
This is great news and long overdue! Someday in the future, as a society I believe we will look back at ourselves and wonder how we ever thought it was okay to deny gay people basic human rights based solely on misinformation, bigotry and xenophobia. I can only hope that this attitude of tolerance and acceptance for all is someday spread throughout the entire United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado