Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:54 PM

206 posts, read 570,816 times

Advertisements

Tears of laughter are streaming down my cheeks.

I went from sea level to a mere 7500' in Evergreen.

It took me many months to be able to just go up & down in my back yard before my lungs didn't scream at me for mercy.

You're going higher. A lot higher.

Everyone has also failed to mention -30F temperatures. And lower.

My job and leisure activities caused me to roam over the entire state for many years.

Mountain passes were closed in front of me on numerous occasions.

The State Police won't let you be stupid.

Trust me when I tell you most of the year, not only won't you want to commute, you won't want to go out and ride your bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
Remember what happened in this cinematic masterpiece when the isolation that you both want comes down to the brass tacks.

One of your first names doesn't happen to be Johhny does it?

Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Leadville

IF you can swing it financially, why not live in Leadville briefly? You'll certainly have done something most Coloradoans never will, and that experience.

I can't answer some of your specific questions, as never having spent a great amount of time there. Although can suggest a few realities. Such as location. If wishing a relatively small and isolated mountain town with long and cold winters, then it may suite. At about twice the elevation of that "mile high" city of Denver, expect a distinctly different climate, and harsher. Although as more the experience rather than life-long home I imagine this might prove novel and even fun in the short term.

As one of the major mining camps and then towns in Colorado, Leadville retains this legacy in part through much of its existing Victorian architecture. There are other examples, such as Central City, Ouray and so forth, yet Leadville is a premier example of this. This alone makes the town interesting, and all the more for anyone with an interest in its once ribald history. Those good times are long past, and if the town suddenly razed I doubt it would ever be rebuilt to anything near its present faded glory, even if the will to do so existed. My impression is that the greater populace is just getting by. The money that once flowed out of that town is largely gone. Now it seems the economy is more centered on tourism to an extent, government as it being the county seat, still some mining, and more than a few commuting elsewhere for work. I've heard, and this surely true, that Leadville has become more the bedroom community for Summit County, where one might work but cannot necessarily afford to live.

Buena Vista seems more prosperous than Leadville, yet is still a small town centered on seasonal tourism. By far the largest market in the region is within Summit County, and Vail if one is willing to drive as far. From Leadville, Copper Mountain is 24 miles, and over Fremont Pass (where the Climax Mine is). There could be some opportunities at Copper, but it remains primarily a ski resort. Frisco, at 30 miles distant, is an actual town, and not resort but servicing them. Breckenridge is 10 miles beyond it on a heavily traveled road. If not working in Leadville (and without the time to work into that, possibly unlikely), then your best chance for employment is somewhere in Summit County. Other than Vail and its immediate environs, forget anything farther removed, as not a practical commute (which will be long enough—and at times challenging—in any event). Moreover, many of the positions in the mountains, particularly those at a lower level, are seasonal. You may have to look for and juggle several positions to get by.

Welcome to mountain living, for those without a gold-plated credit card. But just take it as a few grains of salt. If it was as easy the place would be overrun with the aspirational. Some of the harder realities dissuade many, either in advance or when discovering some of the harder realities on the ground. But if maybe not easy, it can still be worth it. Really can.

Many years from now, wherever you happen to be, you'll no doubt at times think back to Leadville, certainly never forget it. And possibly with some bemusement recount yet another tale from your time there to a possibly enthralled acquaintance. To them it may well seem another world, you slightly exotic—and some truth in that.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 PM

13 posts, read 23,712 times
Thank you so much Dunn! You get it. Your post really summarizes what we're after, thanks a ton for all the info as well! Great post.

We know it's small and frigid and isolated and so on. We also know its beautiful and will be quite the experience during such a transitional move.

Why not do something different if you can?

Though our adventure will more than likely consist of netflix and wishing for warmer weather, it'll be fun no matter what.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Gosh, I guess I didn't give you the answer you wanted!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
I lived in Fairplay, CO for 3.5 years in my 20s and I absolutely loved it! It was way smaller than Leadville, and I had a job lined up with the Forest Service, so that helped. You might check about seasonal work with the Forest Service. The hiring process actually starts soon. I would google USA Jobs and read about their application process. If one, or both, of you can land a job there, you may want to stay through the summer. It pays well, comparatively to other jobs in the area. For winter work, you can check Ski Cooper, although they may not be hiring this late in the game.

In terms of adjusting to the altitude, you'll probably be fine. Spend a few days in Denver first before moving up there. Take it easy the first week, drink lots of water, and you'll probably be fine.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:10 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenb View Post
Said we were thinking if Denver first, then changed the plan to live in leadvillr for a while first. We just want kind of an isolated break from everything to chill out together for a bit before moving to Denver. Hoping to get some retail/cashier/phone job that anyone can get, coming with enough to lice a bit.

What's this about Glenwood? Thanks for all the input!
Glenwood Springs is a nice location. 41 miles from Aspen, on the only full season road to get there. Quite a bit larger than Leadville, and a lot nicer. On the Colorado and Roaring Fork rivers. CMC's main Campus is there. Also a couple of small towns not too fat away that are very commutable, New Castle, Silt, Rifle.

A LOT better chance of a Job. What Glenwood Springs doesn't have, is not far away. 3 hours west of Denver by Interstate 70. ( or if headed to Denver on a Sunday it can be 5 hours on Parking lot 70)

I would recommend you check it out.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM

138 posts, read 266,452 times
I lived in Leadville for a few months as a ski bum back in 1997.. I know they were trying to spruce it up a little back then, but don't know if that happened or not. I enjoyed the few bars they had, and a couple good places to eat... but I got pretty bored after 3 months in winter, and tired of that commute to Copper 5 days a week... so I made just enough money working at Copper to move to Frisco in Summit Co. However, I was mostly single...

It is colder than a dog's butt in winter, but I didn't find it to be that bad, really. It took me a few weeks to adjust from sea level.... not that bad if you're in decent shape... best thing at that age was 2 beers and you were drunk! now it would only take me 1.

I don't know how much it's changed in other ways, but there was a little petty crime problem the winter I lived there.

The one thing I remember most is sunsets over the 14'r's off to the west every night... impressive to say the least.

If you can handle the idea of the weather, limited things to do in town, and finances, I'd say go for it.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 PM

19 posts, read 37,324 times
Default Get real

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenb View Post
Said we were thinking if Denver first, then changed the plan to live in leadvillr for a while first. We just want kind of an isolated break from everything to chill out together for a bit before moving to Denver. Hoping to get some retail/cashier/phone job that anyone can get, coming with enough to lice a bit.

What's this about Glenwood? Thanks for all the input!
Retail/phone job?? You are 21 and the future is coming faster than you think. No one will care that you lived in Leadville, but they will care if you are educated or have a skill or trade.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM

529 posts, read 1,547,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
Tears of laughter are streaming down my cheeks.

I went from sea level to a mere 7500' in Evergreen.

It took me many months to be able to just go up & down in my back yard before my lungs didn't scream at me for mercy.

You're going higher. A lot higher.

Everyone has also failed to mention -30F temperatures. And lower.

My job and leisure activities caused me to roam over the entire state for many years.

Mountain passes were closed in front of me on numerous occasions.

The State Police won't let you be stupid.

Trust me when I tell you most of the year, not only won't you want to commute, you won't want to go out and ride your bike.
Wow many months? That's crazy, most people including myself acclimated pretty quickly in Colorado after moving from Sea Level.

To the OP, -30F only happens on a few occasions in Winter, definitely not a regular thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado