Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM

22 posts, read 53,538 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Prince William County; went to CD Hylton High. Now live just outside of Boulder and work at CU Boulder. Place is fantastic with a lot of alternative type activities available. If you're in any way a fan of the outdoors you'll love every minute here. I ended up here in May 2012 after a stopover in Charlotte, NC for a few years.

It is very dry and takes some getting used to. Weather patterns are a lot of fun to passively observe. Mountains are tremendous. Significantly less traffic; drivers are worse though in my opinion. In DC and NOVA people will run you over just to get a better position in lane, in Boulder/Denver a lot of people drive so cautiously it borders on wreckless. I can't yet attribute this to anything, nor can I say this is something everyone experiences, but it certainly has been obvious to me. Even family comment on it on their visits.

Its a great place to live. You'll find it incredibly refreshing after only living in DC/NOVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM

356 posts, read 624,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeItToColorado View Post
Significantly less traffic; drivers are worse though in my opinion. In DC and NOVA people will run you over just to get a better position in lane, in Boulder/Denver a lot of people drive so cautiously it borders on wreckless. I can't yet attribute this to anything, nor can I say this is something everyone experiences, but it certainly has been obvious to me. Even family comment on it on their visits.
Yes less traffic than DC, however much, much, much, much worse than 10 years ago. I still find humor in the hypocrisy of relocated folks saying that CO drivers are awful when most of the traffic is made up of other relocated folks.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,136,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeItToColorado View Post
. . .in Boulder/Denver a lot of people drive so cautiously it borders on wreckless. . .
If cautious driving results in being "wreckless" we're all better off. Wrecks are bad - we want to prevent them.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM

22 posts, read 53,538 times
Didn't say Colorado drivers were bad. Just those driving in/around Denver and Boulder stink. Don't care where they're from, they stink.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
I drive cautiously so I can be wreck less. Remember it is a more relaxed pace out here. When in Rome...

Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
16 years in Virginia Beach before moving to Grand Junction in 2006. I haven't missed Virginia Beach at all, though I do miss going over to the Blacksburg area in fall. The color show in the VA mountains provided a broader variety of colors than the mostly golden aspens in the Colorado mountains. Virginia Tech also plays a more exciting game of Football than any of the schools in Colorado.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:05 PM

48 posts, read 87,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCityKid View Post
Born in Carson, raised in Bethesda... but the Western Slope is the place for me.

I too have noticed a good deal of DC area transplants in Colorado. Much more than further west in NV and CA.

HTTR always! Will never leave that behind.
The Redskins play the Broncos in Denver this next football season. Hoping for a huge Redskins showing. We are giving up our season tickets to move!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
^^^^You are moving just when the Redskins are showing signs of life again after all those years of mediocrity.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
16 years in Virginia Beach before moving to Grand Junction in 2006. I haven't missed Virginia Beach at all, though I do miss going over to the Blacksburg area in fall. The color show in the VA mountains provided a broader variety of colors than the mostly golden aspens in the Colorado mountains. Virginia Tech also plays a more exciting game of Football than any of the schools in Colorado.
The fall out here in VA is amazing. I love it. I moved here after living in California for 5 years, the last two of which were Monterey. Monterey is an awesome town, but when it comes to seasons and weather, you have two choices: sunny and 55 or overcast and 50. Didn't matter if it was Christmas Day or the 4th of July, the weather would be one of those or the other. So when we moved here last April, we were looking forward to the changing seasons. Summer was miserable. 100+ several days in July and August, and with the humidity, I hated it. But fall makes it all worth it out here.

Fall in Colorado can be quit pleasant as well. The aspens in late August at higher altitudes is pretty tough to beat. Like you said, the color range is not as impressive, but the contrast between the aspens and the surrounding spruce trees, coupled with the mountain back drop and Colorado can hold its own nicely for fall scenery.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I drive cautiously so I can be wreck less. Remember it is a more relaxed pace out here. When in Rome...
Denver? Relaxed? Oh my! Try Cortez! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado