Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,992 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

I'm looking to purchase a plot of land in two different regions for agricultural purposes. I will be utilizing a green house and a specific system that utilizes a lot less than half the required water needed for standard agriculture. I am looking to use probably around 45,000-50,000 gallons of water per acre for approximately a whole year.
And like they say locals now best!

So my question is what have people heard or what do they know about water rights and issues in Park County (specifically between Fairplay and Hartsel, North of Antero Reservoir). Some insight on how the general weather is like during the summer and winter would be appreciated as well.

The other piece of property that I am interested in is in Costilla County (the land is about 2 miles southwest of San Luis, next to Stabilization Reservoir).

Essentially, any information that you may have (such as difficulty to obtain water due to restrictions from prior settlers or scarcity of water) would greatly help on either one of these areas. I plan on calling the local water company for each property to get official records as well.

Finally, I have done some research and in both of these areas, the local residences and farms drilled on average about 100 feet for water, so what are expected costs for drilling and what restrictions am I looking at?

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 07:15 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
For well drilling, you can call the drilling companies in the areas you are looking at and tell them where you are planning to buy and they should be able to give you some idea of cost, how deep, water quality, etc. I have done this in the past and they have been very helpful.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default You need to hire

a water lawyer.
Early in the game.
No one has any expertise in water other than water lawyers and the water courts. Colorado State Judicial Branch - Water Courts

Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM

914 posts, read 2,206,654 times
The area you are talking about is known as South Park. It is dry. 15 inches of rain average per year. Very, very low humidity, so your plants will lose water faster than you might believe possible. Highs never exceed 90 deg., but it can drop to 30 below, or more in winter. Freezing temperatures can occur any month of the year, depending upon your exact location. Expect lots of sunshine year around. Winds speeds are high - expect 60 mph winds a few times every year, and even higher winds some years. Do be aware of micro climates - the particular parcel you choose may vary wildly from the area averages.

Water rights do not go with the land. You will have to determine what rights are available on the land you purchase. This has been discussed at some length on these forums - do a search for "wells", "water rights", "farming". But in the end it is vital that you verify what your rights will be before you buy, and real estate agents are notoriously unreliable on this. I suggest you use an attorney familiar with water law in Colorado.

50,000 gal. a year is nearly 6 gallons an hour 24/7. It is not likely you will be able to pump that much out of the ground with one well per acre. Many residential wells (8", typically) in South Park will produce half that for household use, although in the South Fork area you are talking about it may be better. In any event, your water rights will determine the limits of water usage, but there is never any guarantee the water will actually be available to use.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
I am a bit befuddled why you would want to farm in a dry, isolated, sub-alpine environment, even with greenhouses?

Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Because growing pot is legal here.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
From what I've learned, at least here, is everyone has to join their local irrigation district, pay a yearly fee, then spend all summer fighting over irrigation water. I've seen neighbors threatening neighbors, heard stories of people being shot, and seen some pretty stupid things all over irrigation. I would recommend checking with the local water district where you plan to move to.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Because growing pot is legal here.
But if it's legal, won't the price collapse?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Remember what Jazz once quoted- "Whiskey is for drinkin', water is for fightin' over."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado