Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times

Advertisements

MR516 wrote: Also I'm sure most have heard if you don't like the laws in your state then move. I don't like the laws where I live so I am looking to move to a place where the laws agree more with me, if you don't like your state laws then move to one of the other states that still prohibits marijuana and calls it freedom.

Obviously you are a newbie to the Colorado forum. Not gonna happen.....the negaholics on this page are complainers who enjoy spreading their negativity upon the rest of us who are happy with the passing of prop 64. Packing up and moving to greener pastures would be walking the talk, which is a foreign concept to the negaholics who have so much of their identity invested in complaining and pointing out everything that is wrong.

As others have mentioned, taking care of the job thing first is solid advice. Unless you come with a big pile of cash in your bank account, getting yourself established in Colorado could prove rather daunting, especially if you overdue the marijuna.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-17-2013 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: No need to go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Unfortunately, the growing of marijuana has negatives, such as the odors that get released into the air and becoming offensive to those living around the establishment. Also, because many of the transactions are conducted using cash, the dispensaries are targets for crime.
By that reckoning, we should shut down the banks, waste water treatment plants and pig farms etc?

What about the dog biscuit factory on I-70 on the way to the airport. **REALLY** foul smell every time I go to the airport, but that's OK??

Besides air filters take out the odors in the hydroponic indoor grows. Guess we should shut down the drug stores since people break in and steal pills. Bars take in a lot of cash too. Better add them to the list.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Okay folks, back on target to help the OP figger out WHERE in COLO he should move.

With a TS clearance I see him most likely in Colorado Springs or possibly near Buckley AFB east of Denver.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,950 times
Well I signed a lease on a 3 bedroom condo in Durango yesterday so I'll be making my first trip out moving our possessions in two weeks. But then I'm retired. Different story if I needed to work to support myself.

I wouldn't make firm plans to move anywhere without having a job in place. This is true no matter where you want to move to. In the case of Colorado, it's probably even more acute because as a desirable place to live, rents & real estate prices are noticeably higher there. Your best bet is going to be somewhere on the front range because the rest of the state, jobs will be few & far between with lower wages and competition from local residents who will receive the first consideration by an employer.

In terms of cannabis, well anybody in this forum with whom I've interacted can tell you that I'm an unabashed supporter of the herb. Have been for 45 years now and that's not going to change anytime soon. It is fortuitous that I'm moving to Colorado but....... I made those plans 5 years ago before I knew anything about Amendment 64. Living where I do now has never stopped me from enjoying cannabis, regardless of the draconian laws. Once the final regulations are in place, it's still not going to be a free for all like so many people portend. It's going to be very controlled and you're really not just going to be able to smoke just anywhere you like or in public. That's as it should be. Cannabis is an adult substance and should be regulated & controlled like one. I consider it much like fine wine to be sampled, tasted, enjoyed, and compared to other strains.

My point is..... don't just move to CO because you want to smoke your favorite herb in a legal environment. The laws in your current location obviously don't stop you from enjoying it now so just remain where you are & stay discreet at least until the final regulatory scheme has been developed. In the meantime, legislators in many other states are flirting with recreational cannabis legalization. When the time comes that you are ready to make the jump and find a job elsewhere, you may have many other states to choose from.

Be patient my friend. It's been 75 years of prohibition, and it doesn't unravel overnight. But it is unraveling regardless.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 AM

25 posts, read 157,655 times
Thanks again for all the helpful replies. Yes a job is my first concern and I will not be moving anywhere until I have secured a job. I also know that it is not a free for all to grow/purchase/smoke anywhere I want to, but I do want to move to one of the first states to remember there is a thing called liberty and the pursuit of happiness and pay taxes there. As I stated before it will also be nice to know that local/state cops will not be bothering/arresting me for doing something that does not harm others. I also know other states are looking at doing this, but I think when people start moving to Colorado in droves and Colorado's budget is better than any other state that will push other states to do the same and eventually cause the fed to end marijuana prohibition just like it did with alcohol prohibition. I know in Colorado the farmers can also grow hemp again (the real reason marijuana was prohibited in the first place), and that will help the Colorado economy as well. Once the laws from 64 are put in place I would like to open my own business doing something myself and many others enjoy.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I totally admit that I hate what Colorado is becoming --- but this is an honest answer. Amendment 64 just passed and I don't think that enough time has passed yet to really know which cities/towns are more marijuana friendly than others. i.e., the details are still being worked out.

If you want jobs, you'll probably want to look somewhere on the Front Range. I saw an article in the Denver Post today regarding Nederland, and how some residents want Nederland to move faster on implementing Amendment 64, so maybe you could start there, though you would probably have to travel for work.

Just a thought.
Looking at maps online I can't find Nederland, I'm guessing though if it was in the Denver post it is around Denver. I don't mind traveling to get to work, I will probably have to anyway since I'd really like to have some land (an acre or two to start) when I first move there. I know none of it will be easy, but I'd really like to start a legitimate business when I can.

I found Nederland and see that the closest city is Boulder.

Last edited by MR516; 02-17-2013 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Found Nederland on map

Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM

6,796 posts, read 9,347,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR516 View Post
Looking at maps online I can't find Nederland, I'm guessing though if it was in the Denver post it is around Denver. I don't mind traveling to get to work, I will probably have to anyway since I'd really like to have some land (an acre or two to start) when I first move there. I know none of it will be easy, but I'd really like to start a legitimate business when I can.
It's near Boulder.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,110,685 times
For what it is worth, Denver, Breckenridge, and Aspen all decriminalized 1 ounce of Marijuana years before the state did. So I would assume they are the 'most' friendly. Although, you won't find any problems in any town as long as you're keeping it in your house.

Many people confuse A64 as a 'smoking' law. It is not. It never mentions smoking, only POSSESSION. It means it is legal to carry one ounce on your person in public. A64 made no changes to rules about using marijuana in public--it is still illegal.
As for jobs, just bear in mind that A64 does not prevent employers from enforcing their own drug policy.

BTW, I was down in New Orleans last week. Every person who found out I was from CO wanted to immediately talk about weed. Hahaha. From my perspective I thought it was cool that you could leave a bar and walk the streets with a cocktail in your hand.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
For what it is worth, Denver, Breckenridge, and Aspen all decriminalized 1 ounce of Marijuana years before the state did. So I would assume they are the 'most' friendly. Although, you won't find any problems in any town as long as you're keeping it in your house.

Many people confuse A64 as a 'smoking' law. It is not. It never mentions smoking, only POSSESSION. It means it is legal to carry one ounce on your person in public. A64 made no changes to rules about using marijuana in public--it is still illegal.
As for jobs, just bear in mind that A64 does not prevent employers from enforcing their own drug policy.

BTW, I was down in New Orleans last week. Every person who found out I was from CO wanted to immediately talk about weed. Hahaha. From my perspective I thought it was cool that you could leave a bar and walk the streets with a cocktail in your hand.
I knew that SAFER had that done in denver, didn't know about the other two though.

I understand that you still can't smoke in public, and that the chances of getting caught in my home anywhere is pretty slim. I still don't like the idea that anywhere but Colorado, and Washington I could legally be arresting for having/smoking in my home. I know employers can still enforce their drug laws, but my overall plans are to open my own business and not have to work for anyone else.

I am not from here originally, I have been to New Orleans a few times, but I don't really care for it. It still amazes me how accepting people are when it comes to alcohol and how crazy they get about people smoking pot. I know that is years and years of conditioning from our government and media, I am also not saying you personally feel that way.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,792 times
FWIW, if your job depends on keeping that TS clearance, make sure you won't be subject to random p tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado