Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 12:24 PM

25 posts, read 157,649 times

Advertisements

Hi all I currently live in Louisiana and really want to move to Colorado. Of course the newest laws in Colorado has some to do with it, but I am also ready to have four seasons again and not live in the swamp. We have a one month old baby and 2 dogs so of course family/dog friendly would be nice as well. I am trying to find out the city/cities with the friendliest marijuana laws, but of course I will also need a job too. A friend (another friend who wants to move there as well, not my wife) and I are thinking of driving there form LA for a week or so to check things out, but don't want to waste time looking in the wrong cities/towns. What places would you recommend that we check out in our very short visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 12:46 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I totally admit that I hate what Colorado is becoming --- but this is an honest answer. Amendment 64 just passed and I don't think that enough time has passed yet to really know which cities/towns are more marijuana friendly than others. i.e., the details are still being worked out.

If you want jobs, you'll probably want to look somewhere on the Front Range. I saw an article in the Denver Post today regarding Nederland, and how some residents want Nederland to move faster on implementing Amendment 64, so maybe you could start there, though you would probably have to travel for work.

Just a thought.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
It's going to be quite a few months before implementing language, laws, and procedures are in place to allow Amendment 64 to really take hold; so you might want to sit tight a while and study the threads in our forums via the search tool.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Bring a dump truck full of money. Jobs? Good luck with that. Sad what Colorado has become.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
OK, my first inclination was to be rude and ask is smoking weed more important to you than working? But, you did mention that oh, by the way, you need a job too. That should be your first priority. Hopefully you've taken the time (or will soon) to read through the many threads here about cost of living and state of the economy in Colorado.

What kind of work do you do? Do you have any other criteria other than the availability of marijuana? Do you know anything at all about Colorado?

Old 02-16-2013, 05:56 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OK, my first inclination was to be rude and ask is smoking weed more important to you than working? But, you did mention that oh, by the way, you need a job too. That should be your first priority. Hopefully you've taken the time (or will soon) to read through the many threads here about cost of living and state of the economy in Colorado.

What kind of work do you do? Do you have any other criteria other than the availability of marijuana? Do you know anything at all about Colorado?
Seems we get many of these threads now where the most important thing is smoking cannabis, which is pretty much what I expected. Work and productivity are things of the past. Good luck Colorado.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
wanneroo wrote: Seems we get many of these threads now where the most important thing is smoking cannabis, which is pretty much what I expected.

That's how it works, the law of attraction in action. We all tend to see WHATEVER we expect. Thanks to the law of attraction, humans always get to be right!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 02-16-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Yes a job is my first priority I still need to pay bills and eat. As I'm sure you already know people all over the world smoke pot everyday I just think it would be nice to live somewhere that I don't have to worry about getting arrested for doing something that shouldn't be illegal and is no where near as bad for the users or society in general as drinking or smoking cigs. I have read a little already and from what I have seen the cost of living is high and the economy sucks. I have also found out form applying for jobs online that businesses in Colorado really like to hire local. I also like that Colorado passed an anti NDAA bill, I bet lots of you have no idea what that is, or that your state passed another act of freedom.

Networking and some database admin, I currently have a TS clearance and work as a contractor at Fort Polk. Of course I currently do not smoke and I know that most/all jobs will have a pre hire drug test. I figure once I am there though then I can start looking for jobs that have rules just like alcohol that as long as I'm not coming to work high or using at work they have no problem with what I do on my own time.

To all the people on this thread talking about what Colorado has become you do realize we live in what is suppose to be a FREE country right, and that our founding fathers at least grew hemp marijuana and there is evidence saying some of them smoked it. There are many uses for it besides just getting high, most of it being that it is good for you in many ways. How about that there are cannabanoid receptors in our brain and all over our body, or that the exact same cannabanoids you get from marijuana are natural in breast milk.

Do you think there were people in the first states that ended alcohol prohibition who feel like you do now about your state ending marijuana prohibition. Also I'm guessing none of you that are complaining never use any drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco, Caffeine (marijuana is less addictive than caffeine), alcohol and tobacco cause more deaths than all other drugs legal or illegal. Maybe you should educate yourselves a little instead of listening to the propaganda/lies from the government who do not have the peoples best interest in mind. I would think with you guys already living in Colorado you would have at least heard a few of the stories about people using this to cure cancer, stop seizures and the thousands of other uses.

Last edited by MR516; 02-16-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM

Also I'm sure most have heard if you don't like the laws in your state then move. I don't like the laws where I live so I am looking to move to a place where the laws agree more with me, if you don't like your state laws then move to one of the other states that still prohibits marijuana and calls it freedom.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
I originally voted to allow medical marijuana because I totally believe in the benefits that many people receive. However, like many other good intentions, so many of the "medical" marijuana dispensaries became a place where anyone could walk in the door and the resident "doctor" would write them a prescription.

Unfortunately, the growing of marijuana has negatives, such as the odors that get released into the air and becoming offensive to those living around the establishment. Also, because many of the transactions are conducted using cash, the dispensaries are targets for crime.

Whether or not you feel that you should be free to walk down the street smoking weed, MR516, there are still federal and local laws regulating the growing, dispensing, and using. Colorado is NOT the Mary Jane haven (but the ski area by that name is great!).

Your job experience is networking and database admin? You may have a hard time finding a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado