Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:03 PM

7 posts, read 125,822 times

Advertisements

i live in boulder and i am due for new tires. i recently moved here from baltimore and am unfamiliar with the winter weather in co. are snow tires nessecary? if so, will 2 suffice on the front? or will all-weather tires be fine?

and has anyone heard of arctic claw tires?

thanks! hope to hear some feedback sometime soonish. my tire treads are bare.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyedflower View Post
i live in boulder and i am due for new tires. i recently moved here from baltimore and am unfamiliar with the winter weather in co. are snow tires nessecary? if so, will 2 suffice on the front? or will all-weather tires be fine?

What happened when you searched the previous posts?

Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyedflower View Post

As a rule, you shouldn't mix types of tires. Either get 4 all season or 4 winter tires. The consensus around here is that a front wheel drive car + all season tires + common sense are fine 95% of the time in Denver.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:38 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,339 times
Get Michelin M/S tires that is what I have on my Element, and it is pretty unstoppable

Old 10-01-2007, 11:09 PM

i live in boulder, which is quite different than denver i think. a lot less city and more hills. thanks for the feedback, it was helpful.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:35 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Definatly more hills. What a pain in the rear it is during a snow storm to get out of boulder (commute for work) the hill on US-36 is almost impossable to get up.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:07 AM

ya! it's a pain to get out of boulder even on a dry day with that steep hill to denver.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
You don't have to have true snow/ice tires or AWD. But these will give you advantage in the winter, and I'll take as much as I can afford. Sitting in a ditch or snow bank is no fun. You should only run snow tires during the winter as the rubber compound will wear quckly during the warmer months. Always use 4 matching tires as braking issues are more important than acceleration. There are numerous tires sites explaining the differences in tires and advantages for winter conditions. I use winter tires on my 2-wheel drive truck and can tell you they make a huge difference on snow and ice. I usually wait till the first snowfall to change, so I know how regular tires perform on snow compared to winter tires.
Tires will never overshadow common sense, but take any advantage you can get when it comes to safe driving

Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 AM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What happened when you searched the previous posts?
I came up with this; PS: ditto on the Michelin M/S.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/Coloradoplustires.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I usually wait till the first snowfall to change, so I know how regular tires perform on snow compared to winter tires.
How does that work practically given Colorado's unpredictable weather? I can imagine swapping tires in early October after a snow, then not seeing snow for 3 more months. Would the snow tires be worse then all season tires during such a long dry stretch? What's the tread life of a typical snow tire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado