Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times

Advertisements

Idunn wrote: But have a cloud pass over that sun and all cools down right now: one might end up shivering and thinking of a jacket until the sun shortly reemerges.

So true! Even hiking on a day like today with a near perfect hiking temperature in the upper 60's, when the sun dipped behind a cloud I was wishing I had brought a long sleeve shirt with me. As soon as the sun re-emerged to full intensity I was ready to take off my T-shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
You might consider New Mexico. It will generally prove less expensive than Colorado (assuming a non-local income). Colorado does not provide the lowest cost of living, if that is your primary concern. Albeit less expensive than the coasts, and certainly Seattle.

In Colorado, that you've mentioned probably places you somewhere on the Front Range. With weather for one, as mountain locations will usually not see temperatures of 70º - 90º, they are cooler than on the Western Slope or plains, with more cloud cover. Also not really qualifying in the suburb category. Most communities in the mountains are small towns. A place like Evergreen is somewhat a suburb, but well separated from Denver and the greater metro area, and as well in feel or density not the same as any Denver suburban community.

With your income you could live anywhere in Colorado, if most inexpensively along the Front Range (save out in the middle of nowhere on the plains or in the mountains). You'll have plenty of sun, if also the summer thunderstorms the Pacific Northwest is unaccustomed to. You'll get more for your money, but expect to pay about the same in rent—only in receiving something you'll enjoy more.

Yoga, health and festivals all can be found in communities like Boulder. Due its greater expense, you'll have to spend longer saving for a down payment. But otherwise it might be worth it. Maybe Durango as well, in the far southwest corner of the state. In priorities, you've some decisions to make.
Durango and Boulder will be the same housing cost as Seattle. If the OP is considering Durango go to Pagosa Springs def. cheaper than Durango from exp. NM would be a good choice. Colorado is not a cheap state, maybe a bit cheaper than WA. The midwest is cheap, but there is a reason for that, nothing to do.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I'll take 105 in Denver over 105 in Dallas any day. After the sun goes down here the temperature will drop into the lower 80s by midnight. If it's 105 in Dallas it's still well above 90 at midnight. Summers in Dallas blow. Here because of the low humidity blazing hot daytime temperatures aren't as intolerable.
True I sweat a bit, but as long as it's below 90F its so dry if you sweat it evaporates.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:08 PM

529 posts, read 1,547,994 times
Humid Heat is the worst feeling imaginable. When I lived in Dallas and Baton Rouge I couldn't even go outside in the summer without feeling like I was going to die. It feels worse when it's 100 in Dallas, than it does when it's 120 degrees in Phoenix.

I've been to Seattle several times in the last few years, and when it's 45 degrees in Denver it feels a lot warmer than it does at 45 degrees in humid Seattle.

Denver and Seattle are both unbeatable in the summer! Perfect climate from May to August!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R478n6z44 View Post
Some of the towns in Summit County are on their way to becoming Vail 2.0. More people are coming there for those exact reasons.
Becoming Vail is a BAD thing!

But hey that's just me.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 AM

79 posts, read 288,161 times
Did you ned to be near a big city? If you don't want to fight with crowds when you access nature and don't need to be near Denver -- consider the Western Slope of Colorado (that's the part of Colorado west of continental divide). Did you know that 88% of Colorado's population lives in the corridor between Ft. Collins and Pueblo? If you don't want to be part of that -- come west!

Montrose is a nice town. Politics are more conservative (as is most of rural Colorado except the resort towns -- Telluride, Aspen) but leaning slightly more middle-of-the road, lately I think. Especially with the influx of younger people from other parts of the US.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
Becoming Vail is a BAD thing!

But hey that's just me.
Well I love Vail, so you can imagine what I think.

I don't think people have anything to worry about with Summit County turning into Vail 2.0.

The reason for it is the fact it has no big airport in the County that handles 757/767s and especially private jets.

That's why Vail is what it is and why so much money and effort got sunk into expanding Eagle Airport over the past 15 years and making sure the transportation companies were there to service the airport to connect via ground transportation to Vail Valley.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well I love Vail, so you can imagine what I think.

I don't think people have anything to worry about with Summit County turning into Vail 2.0.

The reason for it is the fact it has no big airport in the County that handles 757/767s and especially private jets.

That's why Vail is what it is and why so much money and effort got sunk into expanding Eagle Airport over the past 15 years and making sure the transportation companies were there to service the airport to connect via ground transportation to Vail Valley.
I agree, I was just making a statement on how it's nice to have both "Fancy" ski towns and "Old west" ski towns.

Last edited by JMM64; 03-17-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 06:54 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
waneroo wrote: I don't think people have anything to worry about with Summit County turning into Vail 2.0.

And even IF someone wasted time worrying about it, it would have little effect on the the eventual outcome. The main effect would be diminished enjoyment in the life of the worrier.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,328 times
great position of not needing a job, I would probably move to Ventura, CA. great weather year round, beach town culture, gorgeous nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado