Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 12:45 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginiagrrrl View Post
Well, assuming you aren't in favor of the new gun laws, I am a brand new citizen of Colorado and will be voting against anyone who helped pass these laws, so my husband and I will take your place.

That said, I live in Parker, and I believe that all my State reps are conservatives and unlikely to have voted for any of them. There is still 2014, though.
You know, that makes me rethink a bit. I am on the verge of changing my decades long plan of retiring in Colorado when my time in Germany is up. This debacle at the hands of the new Colorado Governor Bloomberg has caused me to reconsider. However, it might be worthwhile to rent there until the next election, vote this crud out of office, and then assess at the situation.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:24 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I'm okay with most of those. Not completely opposed to guns on college campuses, and that last one is kind of extreme, but what is there to fault about the rest of them, seriously? I'm from VA and I grew up around guns, so I am in no way anti gun. I've shot guns plenty of times, and I used to keep a hand gun in my bedroom for protection when I lived alone out in the sticks. I just don't see how it's infringing on the 2nd amendent to make people prove they aren't mentally ill or have a criminal record before you sell them a gun. Or to make them show up in person to get their concealed carry permit. If you are legit, you'll be allowed to buy the gun and carry it concealed. You can say criminals don't follow the law - I know that. You could say someone could buy a guy legit with no record and then go on a killing spree. There's no way to always prevent gun violence as long as guns exist, BUT if there is even the slightest possibility that these prosposed laws will keep someone who wants to hurt other people away from a gun then it is absolutely worth the added steps for the rest of us.
Most Americans support sensible gun control. I think allowing guns into the workplace is a bad idea, but that bill didn't pass. I've never had the thought that I need to bring my 1911 to work. I'm anti-slaughter, so I'm for banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. A national gun registry, when that is implemented, will help law enforcement.

Not passing gun control to me is like not bothering to pass traffic laws. 'We don't need to make this school zone 15 miles per hour because some people will just ignore it, you can't stop everybody, so let's not bother.' Yeah well, if this will prevent some kids from being run down, which it will, we're passing it. Same with mass-slaughter guns.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:29 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,251 times
Only the police should have guns....!

Only the Fire Dept. should have fire extinguishers..!

Cogitate on that..!

Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,251 times
Why do you need to carry a gun when there are so many police with guns...?

because I can't fit a cop into my holster..!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Why do you need to carry a gun when there are so many police with guns...?

because I can't fit a cop into my holster..!
When seconds count, Police are only minutes away.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 AM

356 posts, read 623,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Most Americans support sensible gun control. I think allowing guns into the workplace is a bad idea, but that bill didn't pass. I've never had the thought that I need to bring my 1911 to work. I'm anti-slaughter, so I'm for banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. A national gun registry, when that is implemented, will help law enforcement.

Not passing gun control to me is like not bothering to pass traffic laws. 'We don't need to make this school zone 15 miles per hour because some people will just ignore it, you can't stop everybody, so let's not bother.' Yeah well, if this will prevent some kids from being run down, which it will, we're passing it. Same with mass-slaughter guns.
More laws does not necessarily equate to less chaos. Take for instance traffic engineer Hans Monderman who had radical views on traffic laws and safety.

"Monderman removed not only the traffic lights but virtually every other traffic control. Instead of a space cluttered with poles, lights, “traffic islands,” and restrictive arrows, Monderman installed a radical kind of roundabout (a “squareabout,” in his words, because it really seemed more a town square than a traditional roundabout), marked only by a raised circle of grass in the middle, several fountains, and some very discreet indicators of the direction of traffic, which were required by law."

"A year after the change, the results of this “extreme makeover” were striking: Not only had congestion decreased in the intersection—buses spent less time waiting to get through, for example—but there were half as many accidents, even though total car traffic was up by a third. Students from a local engineering college who studied the intersection reported that both drivers and, unusually, cyclists were using signals—of the electronic or hand variety—more often. They also found, in surveys, that residents, despite the measurable increase in safety, perceived the place to be more dangerous. This was music to Monderman’s ears. If they had not felt less secure, he said, he “would have changed it immediately.”

My point is this: When people perceive their environment to be less safe, they use more free-will common sense (which is sorely lacking now a days) when interacting with each other.

Also, If you read the crime statistics we are the safest we've ever been, however if you read and watch the doom-and-gloom news daily you'll have a doom-and-gloom view on society.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
There have been solid murmurings out there about al qaeda planning or wanting to do a Mumbai style attack on the USA.

Denver I hear gets a lot of attention by the federal government as it is US Capitol West and has been considered a target by foreign terrorist groups. I remember back in 2002 Denver International Airport was some of the first in the country to get the new FAA security badges and security system. I went through the process with fingerprints and the whole deal with a background check. It was said when they did that for those that worked at DIA, they dug up 2 al qaeda slugs they had been looking for. Both were taxi drivers at the airport and were Somali nationals illegally in the country.

We know our southern border is porous and anyone willing can get anyone and anything over that border.

So while unlikely, much like an attack like 9/11 was but still happened, what if the Mumbai scenario does happen and we get attacked again? Let's say hypothetically 20 al qaeda tards decide to hit Boulder. So everyone is going to sit and wait for the police to get it together while these 20 guys are on the rampage? Denverian will have his Starbucks faire trade coffee mug ready to throw, dave barnes will have his "it's all good" bolt action .22 with one round artisan4 special designed "anti slaughter magazine" and I'll be in Pennsylvania with my G3, FAL, 300 Blackout M-4, Benelli and Glock.

What I would rather do is have a situation with a Swiss like mentality. Train, prepare, be armed and act as a deterrent to such an act, or for instance an act like these mass shootings that have occurred.

Again I'll point out how most of these mass shootings happen in "gun free" zones. 9/11 happened in a "gun free" zone.

If they happened in "guns aplenty" zones they would hardly rate a mention in the media because the perp would not last and be able to walk around with impunity doing his dirty deed.
Oh yes... that gun nut dreamland where every New Yorker would have had a handy surface to air missle strapped to their backs so someone would have seen the plane headed toward the tower and taken it out before it hit.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:02 AM

157 posts, read 185,625 times
ah, so women and those too old to serve in the militia can't defend themselves or resist tyrants, right? People like YOU. who are going to decide FOR us who can have a gun? well, I got a newsflash for you, punk. come TAKE them, if you DARE. Up yours and your "allowing" me to have a gun.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
Yep. It always is.

About denverian
Previous locations
Los Angeles, CA

Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Experience as a moderator has taught me that threads "discussing" controversial topics start off with a few good posts and insights, then head downhill and become ever more off topic, ridiculous or disgusting until an adult must step in and commit a mercy killing. Thread Euthanasia (one of my many special services) prevents participants from further embarrassing themselves or leaving readers shaking their heads in that classic confused kind of way, but mostly it prevents degrading our awesome City Data brand. For this thread is was simply inevitable. We've now arrived at that point as we've long since left the topic of legislative efforts in this state. Further discussion on gun control can to be taken to other forums where participants/combatants/comedians/geniuses may flail away at each other with all due ruthless vigor and brilliant cleverness.

Thread closed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado