Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM

8 posts, read 30,684 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have an opportunity to move to woodycreek and stay at a nice house for practically nothing. We feel confident that we could find permanent work and would be able to make a decent wage to afford living in the area while also saving some money up. So income isn't really a big issue. Not that we are rich, but we live simple lives and have no need for fancy clothes, dinners or elaborate evenings out.

I was born in Glenwood Springs and have family in the area. I've never permanently lived there, but have been visiting 1-2 times a year for 30 years. So I am familiar with the area, attractions, seasons, weather, commute, etc.

My question is about the people that live in this valley. I know aspen is pretty plastic and a trust-funder playground. But is their any real sense of community in the valley? Meaning, are their areas where down to earth, community oriented people can meet. Is there an "underground" arts scene, or music scene.

If we moved here, we would probably go down valley to basalt or carbondale to find our community. We are 37 and 42, artistic, creative, social, outdoors-ie, culturally centered people who would want good, true, loving and funny friends. We would be coming from arizona and are accepting of any race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

Looking for answers from people our age that have lived in the valley. Any experiences of trying to find your tribe?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 11:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Pitkin County,
The further down the valley you get the more real it becomes.

We lived in Glenwood springs for a while.
You'll be fine.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:12 PM

Thanks. I love GS and would love to be there. But the housing is up valley. Will probably go down occasionally. But carbondale and basalt would be much closer for our social outings. Every time I visit, I have a nice time but never really seam to see the real community in these areas.

I've always visited in season, so i think all the tourists may have made it harder to get a feel for the real locals.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM

356 posts, read 624,098 times
As with most small towns, the longer you're there the more in-tuned with the local vibe you become. You hear things word of mouth which is the best way to delve into the community.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:20 PM

We found Carbondale to be down to earth as is Basalt.

I kind of liked it just outside of Carbondale up hwy 133.
Use to go that way in the summer to get to Crested Butte over kebler pass.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:33 PM

What is the local vibe like though? Is it all outdoors activity? Is it very artistic? Is it all health nuts or coke heads? Is everyone working so hard that they just go home and watch tv after? Is it all gun slinging hunters? Is it all mediation and yoga in the park? Is the bar scene to big?

I know I am being fairly stereotypical here. And I know that you can find all types anywhere you go. But some places have a much stronger "type" of personality.

For example, we live in tucson right now. If I were asked, I would describe the tucson community this way.
On the outskirts of downtown it is mostly 30-50 age range, middle class, varied professions. Big military influence. Further out is pretty much only retired people living in little retirement communities. In the downtown area, there is a wide range of college students and creatives. Very unique venues and events for community gathering. I would say most in this area have a very bohemian nature to them. Very causal and funky styles are common. A big cycle community. A large population of partiers, and equally health gurus. I think a very common trait here is the "flake" or "tomorrow" attitude. Very laid back, but also with a hint of aggression. The hotter it gets, the rougher the towns folk become.

Does that make sense?

Old 03-15-2013, 12:54 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hishi View Post
What is the local vibe like though? Is it all outdoors activity? Is it very artistic? Is it all health nuts or coke heads? Is everyone working so hard that they just go home and watch tv after? Is it all gun slinging hunters? Is it all mediation and yoga in the park? Is the bar scene to big?

I know I am being fairly stereotypical here
"Fairly"? Really?
Gee, ya think?
You know what you're going to find? Whatever it is you are looking for.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:00 PM

Hipchik, sorry if that offended you, but I'm just looking for some honest feedback and I was honest about being stereotypical. Just like saying aspen is plastic. I know that is not the only type you find, but it's definitely a common opinion.

And I want to make a wise decision. If I wasn't interested in beach culture, I wouldn't move to florida. If I wasn't interested in ranching, then I may not move to Montana. Just looking for some feedback from people who have or are living in this region. And I'm trying to give example of talking points to help.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:24 PM

I was in my early 20's when we lived there,

You can find all that you describe below.
It just depends where you go.Out of town in the rurel areas hunting is popular not so much in Aspen.

Most are outdoorsy in some way, from just taking in nature to mountaineering.
Remember, outdoor recreation is what the valley is selling.

Gleenwood, Aspen can be a bit artsy. A bit

Coke is still around in the tourist towns, so are the other recreational drugs that go with recreation at resort towns but not like it was in the 80"s.
Meth is around.and MJ is also around.

Not much of a kum-bi-ya, yoga in the parks hippy vibe.
but there are yoga studios.

The bar seen can vary to off season to height of tourist season, festivels etc etc.
The seen in Gleenwood or carbondale will be much, much different than Aspen on any given day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hishi View Post
Does that make sense?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:19 PM

good to know. Thanks snofarmer. I've seen all the fancy galleries, but being an artist myself, I am looking for some local artistic community. I'm sure it is around. Maybe not as active as Tucson. I guess it could be something I could promote when we get there.
Good to know there are levels of activity in the mountains. I have looked at some places, like boulder, where it seams people are pretty intense about hard core mountain activities.

I have another question. Access to nature. Of course it is abundant there. But how much is privately owned and not accessible. For example, I had a year in Monterey Ca. Beautiful. But almost everything was privately owned and people did not let you access their land to get to the wilderness behind it. It was a real drag to see so much nature but not be able to actually get into it.
I am sure this happens to some degree, but would you say it's an issue or complaint for the locals? Or would it take me 10 years before I felt like I've done every hike more than once.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado